Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

It's an absurd and embarrassing level of argument. I shan't continue it any further.

It demonstrates the weakness of the arguments against Farage that some people are now reducing the debate to arguing about synonyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Show me where I said there was foul language in the dossier? I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh, I am so glad you see my point and agree that words matter.

Hilarious - hasn't your argument the whole time been that he's debanked, when he isn't debanked? Doesn't that in and of itself demonstrate the fundamental weakness of your argument pimping for farage?

Snookered yourself, friend of Nigel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Of course I can, and you know better than that, so don't strop and feed me such a pithy line. I know you didn't say, and I quote, "foul." I did. And your protesting the point demonstrates mine, that you appreciate the importance of "language."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What kind of brain rot must you have to be either Neil Oliver or the type of person to pat him on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Had to check if Oliver retweeted that because its not something id agree with. Low and behold , that's not an image , its a screen grab from a nearly 5 min long video. The narrator claims its "over the top" to compare 15min cities to concentration camps. Hence showing a one second long picture of Auschwitz.

The point of the image is literally the opposite of what Sweet is claiming. Its not the first time time Ive seen Sweets creepy obsession with Oliver. He's hellbent on getting him removed from air. And he will use whatever lie , dishonest and weaselly smear tactics he needs to. Because at the end of the day , he knows his followers have no critical thinking skills , will never second guess anything and believe absolutely everything they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

FFS, it's a post about 15 minutes cities, **** idiots are scared shitless of them for some reason, and yet, no matter how long or short it was there for, there was a picture of Auschwitz.

You don't understand. Auschwitz was used a reference to claim it was over over the top to compare 15mins cities to concentration camps. The only one weaponizing the holocaust here is Sweet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The fear among certain groups for something so utterly innocuous as the talk of 15 minute cities just highlight how easily conspiracies take hold.

Someone somewhere in a dark corner of the Internet invented a connection between the COVID 3km/5km movement restrictions and the concept of 15 minutes cities , deciding that the 15 minute design was a part of a master plan to permanently introduce restrictions of movement and away they went...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,001 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Probably the same shit stained corner that Pizzagate originated from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oliver seems to have developed some sort of obsession or fetish with the Holocaust. It's quite disturbing and all the more so given his erstwhile position as a respected historian.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's very sad to see , I loved his show "Coast" it was really good.

How much of an historian, "respected" or otherwise, Oliver is is open to debate. His degree was in archaeology and while there are overlaps, it is quite a different discipline and pursuit to what an historian does and he was only a freelance archaeologist (a digger for hire) for a few years before he turned to journalism. His foray into presenting historical documentaries also doesn't give him the historian's credentials, as he didn't study or write the material he presented, apart from the 'Vikings' series.

In fact, Oliver doesn't consider himself an historian. Nor does he consider himself an academic.

Neil Oliver descended into conspiracy theories around the time that COVID-19 arrived on the scene.

At the start, Oliver raised legitimate questions around COVID-19 and lockdowns, nothing out of the ordinary. But there was a very small leap between reasonable questioning and appealing to conspiracy theories. It was the same period that Dr John Campbell went from providing reasonable scientific analysis of COVID toward a more conspiratorial approach. For both men, they realised that the money was found by appealing to this very wide, Internet-based conspiracy base. Oliver's social media grew, his videos became more viral, and so he realised that this is where he needed to pivot his career and YouTube channel.

It's no different to Alex Jones or David Icke or Russell Brand or, as I say, Dr John Campbell. None of these men really believe what they're saying, but they understand that there's an awful lot of people willing to "donate" or buy whatever they say. It's a business model, and they know how to exploit it.

If you're appealing to the conspiracy base, there's nothing you can say to sway their minds. For instance, if I say that Oliver is a conspiracy theorist and clearly wrong, the base would say that's evidence that Oliver is right and being silenced, so we need to listen to Oliver more etc. etc. etc. It almost becomes a positive feedback loop. Oliver therefore has a permanent audience from which he can effectively grift his way to financial success -- all the while pretending, and it is pretending, to believe what he is putting forward.

There's far more money to be made doing that than by presenting a show once a week on GB News.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a consistent effort by many on the left to minimize the Holocaust.

Oliver mocking those who compare 15 min cities to Auschwitz goes against that trend and had to be pushed back against.

There is a consistent effort by many on the left to minimize the Holocaust.

Bullshit.

When will you quit lying like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I never saw it but I'll take your word for it. I can't stand the man now. He has no principles beyond being another generic internet reactionary. Russell Brand with a Scottish accent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And it was that conspiratorial bollocks that got him his job on GB News , which says a lot.

He's not there for his sharp political insights , he's there to whistle at the loons.

That's where the easy money seems to be these days.

• Advertisement

This Dr Sweet guy is using the holocaust , twisting and manipulating it , in an effort to destroy somebody's life.. And these people actually think they are the good guys 🤦‍♂️

Where has he manipulated it, exactly? Oliver has repeated invoke the holocaust for his own benefit.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Oliver has previously invoked the Holocaust.. The likes of the Auschwitz museum frequently have to call out things like this. So it's fair to say Neil Oliver is guilty of manipulating and twisting the Holocaust.

https://www.thejc.com/news/news/historian-neil-oliver-compares-european-covid-lockdowns-to-nazi-propaganda-in-tv-rant-1.522910

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Shoog

I have literally never seen a left leaning person deny the Holocaust. It's literally the perfect example of what happens when the right dominates.

Even in the pinkest, bluest haired parts of the country, the electorate and the congress, I don’t see Holocaust denial. Not even from Tlaib and she is incredibly vocal against Israel and pro Palestine.

We might need to sit down for this but, I think Rapid might be lying with his or her or their pants on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Hoop66

No de-banking because of views occurred, says FCA review. Seems to me Farage is a liar, but I'm sure he'll be vindicated when he takes his promised case against them. Must be coming up any minute now...surely?

The Guardian on X: "Farage row: no evidence of customers being debanked, watchdog to find https://t.co/rLkoC35H7W" / X (twitter.com)

The UK’s financial regulator is expected to say it found no evidence that customers are being denied bank accounts or other financial services because of their political views, after launching a review after the Nigel Farage debanking row.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is to release the results of its review by the end of the week, after contacting banks last month.

The review is expected to say there is no evidence to show individuals are being denied services primarily on the basis of their political views.

So, the man who's spent his entire political career lying and gaslighting was lying and gaslighting once again.

H. H. Asquith

I'm shocked I tell you , shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lads did you even read newspaper reports about the FCA's findings that you're linking to? Or did you just look at the headline?

First off Farage's case wasn't a part of the review:

While the review was launched in response to Farage’s battle with NatWest’s private bank Coutts, it is understood that the data does not cover his case, given that the bank never followed through with the closure. Farage said in July that Coutts’s new boss had offered to retain his account.

Second off, political views were found to not be the 'primary' reason for debanking - but to what extent were they a factor? We don't know because the report's not been released yet.

“While no bank, building society or payment firm reported to us that they had closed accounts primarily due to someone’s political views, further work is needed for us to be sure,” said the FCA chief executive, Nikhil Rathi.

Maybe wait to read the actual report before marking off "grifter", "gaslighting" etc. from your bingo card?

• Advertisement

He wasn't debanked because they kept his account despite his falling below the wealth threshold.

Maybe don't treat a grifter's word as unquestionable gospel.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement