Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You're just backing up what McFly85 said, i.e., "Cargo relates specifically to goods, and as such, human cargo is a phrase traditionally associated with slavery and trafficking." In the examples you gave it is a term being used regarding the act of trafficking.

Unless, of course, you're suggesting the UK Government sending asylum seekers to Rwanda is, in fact, also trafficking.

He intentionally used the term to dehumanise the people involved, which is very much in keeping with his hero Nigel Farage and his other posts on the topic.

It's called figurative language; the use of non-literal phrases intended to offer meaning in communication. The term was not intended to be taken either literally or maliciously. I stand by my use of the term. The same can be said of Nigel Farage. When questioned whether anyone could point to an example of actual "racial hatred" by Farage, no example was forthcoming. Not a single one. Instead, we heard that "people hide their vile opinions behind mealy-mouthed civil words".

That's not good enough.

If you're going to throw around heated terms such as "racist", you'd better have concrete evidence. Not speculation or false assumptions or hidden agendas, but actual evidence. Are there facinorous wretches in society opposed to immigration on racial grounds? Yes, of course there are. But most people are not in that category, and they have the right to ventilate legitimate concerns about the rate and pace of immigration into their society, as well as its concomitant consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You fawn over a person that is widely regarded as xenophobic and racist. The lengths you'll go to explain away racism or justify it effectively makes it impossible got anyone to be remotely racist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Which is exactly the point.

Reminds me of a nameless ex-poster who said that the only racism problem is racism against white people. They're more than happy to play the racism card when it suits them. I've been called racist for criticisng Donald Trump and Jeremy Corbyn.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No - It's called de-humanising dog-whistling.

Don't use names , don't refer to them as people , don't say anything about the horrible places/things they are trying to escape.

Just call them "cargo" , call them "illegals", call them "an invasion", call them a "horde" refer to them as "fighting age males" and so on and so on, ad infinitum.

It's using specific language for a specific purpose and that purpose is to desensitise people and make them less likely to empathise with refugees so that when you break international laws to treat them illegally people are less likely to get angry about it.

You might claim that that is not, or was not your intent but that is absolutely categorically the intent of the people that put that kind of terminology out there into public discourse for people like you to use wittingly or unwittingly.

• Advertisement

By way of contrast, here are some racially hateful comments made by the former BNP leader, Nick Griffin:

• "there's no such thing as a black Welshman"
    • "we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children"
    • "I didn't say anyone should be murdered at sea—I say boats should be sunk, they can throw them a life raft and they can go back to Libya"

I could go on, but you can see the point. Griffin is quite clearly racist. This is what racist comments look like.

Nigel Farage has never said anything as outrageous as this and, if he did, I wouldn't be sat here defending him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nigel Farage has never said anything as outrageous as Nick Griffin because Nigel Farage isn't as stupid as Nick Griffin.

He knows that actually saying "I hate Black People" or "Black people can't really be British" etc. is political suicide.

Which is why he uses dog-whistles and oblique language to obfuscate the true meaning of what he is saying - Which is every bit as hateful and unacceptable as Nick Griffin he just makes "colourful use of the English language" as you might put it to allow him to slither away from his true intentions when challenged.

It also allows people like you to defend him by saying "well he never actually said I hate Black people so he couldn't be a racist!!!"

Seems that Farage issued a second subject access request, this time to NatWest, but its release is being delayed until the end of October.

It'll be interesting to see what detail (if any) NatWest held against Farage, as it was deemed a "complex" case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"What about Nick Griffin" has to be one of the worse defences I've ever heard in my life.

🤣

Oh you "offered meaning in communication" all right. "Human cargo" is only really used in certain contexts to convey the idea that the people involved are considered to be less valuable than others. It conveys the idea that slaves were considered to be subhuman during the slave trade era. In trafficking it conveys the notion that the traffickers do not value the people they are trafficking as people and see them as just cargo.

There's no ambiguity in the way you used that term or the meaning you were intending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Farage is just Nick Griffin and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon in a more presentable guise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Any reason why he isn't mentioning the other 9 banks and making requests to them? Admittedly if they're all boutique banks, he just can't afford them. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When questioned whether anyone could point to an example of actual "racial hatred" by Farage, no example was forthcoming. Not a single one.

Thats desperately blinkered.

Whataboutism. Who the hell is this guy nobody has mentioned before now? The topic is Nigel Farage

Its very revealing the low bar you have to call others racist and gives away the whole game of trying to gaslight against acknowledging Farage is a racist

One is a white supremacist, the other a violent criminal scumbag.

I understand that you loathe Nigel Farage, and that's all well and good, but it somewhat undermines your case when you consider Farage the equal of these two men.

Not equal , but cut from similar cloth.

They all have a similar preference for the kind of Britain they'd like to see , but each has chosen a somewhat different pathway to achieving their goal.

Just because Farage doesn't say the 14 words out loud like Nick Griffin or get involved in street-fights like Yaxley-Lennon doesn't mean he isn't also a xenophobe and a racist.

Similar to people like Donald Trump, he might not directly engage in violent attacks but he incites hate. You'll downplay this or get picky about his phrasing but that's because you agree with him and engage in the same rhetoric.

You'll also happily engage in double standards for him. Eg you earlier said that his cameo videos aren't grifting and have accused the like Owen Jones of grifting for running a Patreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What Nick Griffin was saying 10 or 15 years ago is scarcely much different to what Farage, the Daily Mail and GB News are saying today. He would be a regular on GB News if he was still in public life these days.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Farage's trick was to dress in a suit and point at the EDL and National Front to make UKIP look just better enough to be different. Underneath, they're exactly the same thing.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

First of all like I said the phrase seems to be bandied about a lot in the current time. Not to describe slaves but to describe immigrants and refugees who have themselves paid traffickers to transport them.

Is it insenitive to use a phrase like that? Probably yeah.

But I don't agree with this 'accusation culture' where someone trips over a politically correct tripwire and then we all round on them and call them a monster and talk about it forevermore.

The self-righteousness invovled in this is a mistake because all do or say the wrong thing sometimes. I do, you do, people are fallible.

The bitterness involved is a spiritual mistake. If you're sitting by the glow of a computer screen each day working yourself up into paroxysms of anger because there are people who won't conform to your very specific ideas of what they should think, do and say then its time to go for a walk in the countryside and a reassement of how your spend your leisure time. I should take this advice myself since I am also too involved in pointless e-bickering.

Politically, concerns around immigration shouldn't be sunk by 'gotcha!'-style games where any slip in refinement and sensitivity is an excuse to strip the whole topic of legitmacy. This issue won't go away because in all the 195 countries of the world - including in Britain, the US and Western Europe - people want their own nation preserved and industrial scale inward migration with no limit or even purporse other than vague 'economic growth' is a great challenge to our lives not just a minor detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭Shoog

Borrow propaganda from the Nazis is fairly damning evidence of what Farage stands for.

And the traffickers treat these people as cargo not passengers, that's why the term is used in that context.

I don't think his use of the term was anything to do with his fability, as I said, I think it was very deliberate. Which makes the rest of your verbiage, seem to me, a bit moot.

When did Farage "borrow Nazi propaganda"?

I strongly suspect this is yet another invented fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you can't see that his immigration poster is a copy of an infamous Nazi propaganda poster your denser than I thought. They were both telling exactly the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

Literally all I was pointing out is that the original suggestion that Human Cargo is simply just another way of saying passenger on a ferry is incorrect. The poster was attempting to suggest no Ill will was meant by using it.

But words matter. Anyone who genuinely meant no harm in using a phrase like that would stop using it - I wouldn’t ask them to just take my word for it, but research it.

But the poster doubles down with essentially well it’s not xenophobic or racist when I say it.

Which is a flimsy excuse really. Demanding proof of any racism or xenophobia and then waving it away.

By that logic, nobody should be offended by anything, everyone can start using homophobic slurs and then complain that they didn’t mean it in a homophobic way when people get offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is what has the outrage going.

farage might have been too poor to have a Coutts account.

The notion that everyone thinks they are unpleasant racists and xenophobes and don't want to work with them, even if unproven, is what is making them angry. They don't want to take responsibility for their actions, and some seem to genuinely believe that they are speaking cleverly to avoid being labelled as racists and xenophobes and this has exposed that as well.

When a boutique bank thinks you're a racist xenophobe, you really have to be a vile turd.

(and again, the boutique bank doesn't care, it will have far worse on their books)

Though I see the discussion has moved on from banks and solely into how racist farage is. Great debating powers on display from the farage supporters.

I went ahead and Googled what you were referring to, and it appears to be the comparison below.

First of all, the history of Nazism is decades long. I'm sure you could find a still image to compare to anything you want, if you sought to find it. That's what happened in this case. Farage released a poster discussing the migrant problem in Europe, and someone deliberately went out of their way to find something from the Nazi era to compare it with. Second, Farage has no links to fascism or Nazi support. The idea that Farage was aware of the clip below, and actively sought to reproduce it, is absurd. It simply makes no sense.

As I said earlier, this is yet another invented fiction; a smear by association tactic.

• Advertisement

You’ve just proven it’s not a fiction though. You’ve only maintained your personal incredulity which is mired in your Nigel bias down to your avatar.

Advertisement