Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern bikes...

Options

Comments

Have you ridden a Di2 bike MB? If I could justify the expense I'd be on one every day 😅

Was out for a walk with my dad earlier heading down hill and met a lad on a Cervelo coming against us up hill. Gave my dad a nudge and pointed to my ear. Clunk clunk clunk from behind as the lad shifted gears if that was a mechanical the sound would have been horrific!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I went backwards. Had a giant defy 2 2020 disc with hunt carbons. Lovely bike but had to sell it. It weighed 9.5kg with peddles. Bought a 2nd hand 2015 carbon canyon with rim brake in 105 soon after and its a far better bike. Easier to work on and weighs 7.7kg, nearly 2kg lighter at a 1/3rd of the cost of a defy. I honestly don't need a dura ace, disc brake, tubeless bike for 7 or 8k but each to their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't need to go complicating my uninformed opinions with 'experience'.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I am an old school cyclist; I love old school bikes (which, at this stage means anything pre-2000!!!) and their relative simplicity.

Technological advances in road bikes are driven by top-end competition, every watt gained or second saved matters in the pro peloton.

People who cycle for leisure, if they have the disposable income, like to have the latest tech, which the cycling industry tells them they NEED - many don't need it, but it is nice to have on the coffee spin. It's a cool brag over a petrol station mocha-choca-soy-lattaccino, made from ethnically sourced beans, picked by a lady in a straw hat in the third-world country of your choice.

Many use the latest tech to improve their cycling; speed, distance travelled for energy expended, general fitness etc.

Many, however, just do the same spin, same speed, every Sunday...just on a more expensive bike.

Tech trickles down from the top tiers eventually; the recent arrival of Shimano 105 Di2 is a perfect example.

From my point of view, I fix and build up bikes all day, every day. I don't care what's next in the queue to be hung on the work-stand. I give them all the same level of care and attention. One day this past week consisted of a 80s steel racer for full mechanical overhaul, a carbon Giant for new internal cables/pressfit BB/headset bearings, brake bleed on a modern MTB, two new tyres on a pram, a couple of kids bikes assembled out of their boxes and a wheelchair with a puncture....every day is different. But I'm wandering off topic.

Some new tech I can understand being used by pros, but not by the everyday cyclist; lots of it is over complicated, for the sake of over complication and lacks the durability of lower end stuff, for the sake of shedding grammes. It can't be fixed by the average Joe and it royally sucks donkey balls trying to fix it for you, especially when you have ''had a go'' first...here you can add in not washing your bike all winter after cycling country roads or giving it to me with a winters worth of crusty sweat from the turbo trainer. Yuk.

The biggest drawback to all this new tech is the lack of end-user friendliness, when it comes to maintenance; you have to bring the bike to me if something goes wrong (and the cyclist's fear of making an expensive error compounds this).

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, back in my day (lol) you could do EVERY job on your bike by yourself, providing you had the tools (or could borrow a tool from a cycling club mate); this added to the joy of cycling...being able to diagnose and fix bikes as and when something went wrong. The loss of this is one of the saddest things about modern cycling, in my humble opinion. Knowing every nut, bolt and bearing is working because you made it work, makes cycling that bike an even more joyful experience. I wince when men and women who, having been swept up in the surge of popularity for cycling over the past couple of decades, come in to me for a puncture repair, gear tune or chain replacement; all basic jobs, needing basic tools...but beyond the capabilities of too many. In recent years, I ran a basic maintenance class for one of Munsters largest and well established cycling clubs - I ended up showing most of the atttendees how to remove the wheels, before we could move on to the neurosurgery complication of changing a tube!

And yes, in answer to some posts above, a retirement titanium frame is on my wish list. But it will have external cable guides!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, back in my day (lol) you could do EVERY job on your bike by yourself, providing you had the tools (or could borrow a tool from a cycling club mate); this added to the joy of cycling...being able to diagnose and fix bikes as and when something went wrong. The loss of this is one of the saddest things about modern cycling, in my humble opinion. Knowing every nut, bolt and bearing is working because you made it work, makes cycling that bike an even more joyful experience. I wince when men and women who, having been swept up in the surge of popularity for cycling over the past couple of decades, come in to me for a puncture repair, gear tune or chain replacement; all basic jobs, needing basic tools...but beyond the capabilities of too many. In recent years, I ran a basic maintenance class for one of Munsters largest and well established cycling clubs - I ended up showing most of the atttendees how to remove the wheels, before we could move on to the neurosurgery complication of changing a tube!

Apologies for going off topic but would it not be in your interest for cyclists to know as little as possible about their bike and have to bring it to you for repair/servicing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

That's a good point, but cyclists having their spin ruined by a puncture or a snapped chain is easily avoidable with some basic training and a decent quality multitool.

Also, having some basic mechanical sympathy and knowledge stops cyclists from quickly turning a twenty quid repair into a 200 quid repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CptMonkey

I’d love more tech on my bike but I have managed to avoid any major purchases so I’m sticking with my bianchi via Nerone. Some 105 bits and some ultergra bits. I can maintain it my self. I have a few different wheel sets even tho the campag don’t really come off.

Now if I come into money then I’ll have the latests and greatest 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think your question WA is best answered by 8valve's posts here and in other threads where he is extremely generous with his advice. Back in his day (and even mine), bike shops like the Rutland were places where you could drop in for advice and even the ocassional loan of a tool you might rarely need. Unfortunately now, some bike mechanics, or more likely bike shop owners, are quite happy to generate work for themselves with OTT reports on what needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think 8v’s post spoke for many . Have lost track of the number of times I’ve told noobie ‘performance’ cyclist’s their quick releases don’t work like wingnuts…Bike design definitely peaked at or before 2010 and maybe 2000 . Discs , Di2 neo tubeless etc are solutions to problems that didn’t exist . I don’t know how a young racing cyclist is expected to save for a medium to high spec machine nowadays .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hopefully 105 Di2 will be on somewhat affordable bikes so it won't be stuck with integrated cockpit, one piece handlebar/stem and just less proprietary parts/setups etc that comes with higher end stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've had this debate with club mates a lot. My take on it having run most of the modern features is:

• Disc brakes (assuming they are hydraulic) are better (especially in the wet) and open up a better choice of potentially longer lasting wheels but add weight and are not as simple to maintain. I don't think there is much point in having them on a good weather bike.
    • I am a tubeless convert & have it on all my bikes - but I wouldn't expect my group to wait for me on the very rare occasions it goes wrong. It isn't like changing a tube and we should accept that
    • Integrated cables and cockpits look great but up to you if you want to go through the hassle of maintenance and fit for the sake of looks.
    • Di2 is great but I don't consider it worth the cost (& I have it on the good bike).
    • 1x - not mentioned yet but I can't understand why you still see mid level hybrid or bikes aimed at commuting with a triple FD? 1x is the future for the majority of uses outside of long faster road rides

The other thing that annoys me about modern bikes is how long it is taking to come to common industry standards. You still see some post mount disc brakes and qr or 15mm thru axle wheels. Tubeless is even worse - ever tried Mavic UST?

My current favourite bike is a Genesis Equilibrium - hydraulic discs and tubeless but running mechanical 105 with all external cables and a huge modern 11-34 cassette

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got R8000 with a new bike a few years ago, no issues from day 1 and no issues to this day. Had to change the shifter cable as it wore out in the shifter (a known place for it to wear out on those shifters). Put in a new cable, and tightened it in the RD and no issues since either. For all the giving out about indexing and limit screws, I haven't had to do it in years with the new set. Now that could be luck but it's been a cake walk other than internal cabling which is just annoying to do but not the biggest job in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

My 'dream' bike would something like an Aethos, but with mechanical shifting (DuraAce ideally, but Ultegra would be fine). No daft proprietary cockpit, the latest and greatest in frame tech, standard seatpost. Sadly, no such bike exists; you'd have to buy a less-expensive (there are no cheap) Aethos, then strip the electric gruppo, and add Ultegra, or whatever. That's not ever going to happen. I agree with the poster above that there's not much call for discs in a good-weather bike. But since we don't live in a good-weather country, this is one tech that is probably (crosses fingers) worth the underlying issue that it's much harder to fix on the side of the road than the tech it's replacing.

What's my point? That pretty much all the very nicest frames of the last few years are e-only, or disc-brake-only, or both...which is tedious. If you want a 'fancy' bike, and you don't want some ultra-custom jobbie, you're increasingly stuck with hard-to-fix new tech.

Goes off now to salivate over fancy new bieks on the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I'm getting more and more old school in my frame preference for sure. Waiting on delivery of Colnago Master x-light for my best weather bike (probably be waiting til next summer, even though told be delivered in November). Just don't like the aesthetics of modern disc bikes. Totally get that they are faster, better braking etc, but just not my preference. I think rim brake bikes look better, and perform well enough for me for sure.

Industry only going one way though, and each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was looking for Specialized Aethos info and this thread was the only one to come up.

Who are the Specialized dealers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

There is a dedicated Specialized store on the N7 by Citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

This would be a modern bike when I started cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It seems my bike of preference can no longer be sourced, anywhere. Campagnolo, mechanical shifting and rim brakes. Simply impossible to find unless you go somewhere like Battaglin that do custom builds. To think that I got a new bike back in 2013, full Campy Veloce 10sp set up, for €1,000 in Dublin bricks and mortar. And I got a bit knocked off that price too cos the other half was also buying one. It's still going strong but finding replacement parts is becoming a headache because Voloce has been discontinued and, well, 'rim brakes'. There were some great bargains online back in 2019 - in hindsight it was probably a case of retailers trying to get rid of rim brake stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A friend recently bought a 16 Trek Domane with mechanical 11 speed Dura ace, rim brakes and high end wheels from a dealer for 2k with warranty.

He was pretty clueless on checking bike himself and got a spotless bike.

2nd hand is your best option and seems a better deal than what would will get now new for 2k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think any rim brake stock was cleared out in the Covid madness where people were buying bikes left right and centre, and then manufacturers just stopped doing rim brake bikes altogether for the most part.

You’d be better off trying to buy a frameset and getting a shop to do a build for you with whatever group set you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah... I saw a think of beauty in Mount Usher Avoca at the weekend (maybe a poster here?)... Battaglin steel frame, polished green, Campy Super Record, mechanical rim brake... custom build. Custom build is definitely the way I'll go next, when I scrape together the pennies. Although by then will Campy even exist?! All the pro teams now Shimano or Sram and 99% of bikes in the usual online stores are all Shimano or Sram. Where is Campy selling to? I need to find a wormhole to that magic vortex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usually i'd suggest ringing humphries - as they own a distribution company too. they might have avenues some other bike shops don't have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Looks like ringing them is the only option - just looked them up - their website is terrible.

worth mentioning that they have quite a few frames hanging from the ceiling in the shop, some have been there ages. if you want a rim brake frame, they're worth a ping. i suspect very little to none of the ceiling stock is disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I think there is still a market for rim brake bikes, obviously not the full range, but sad to see them disappearing so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Don't think high-end rim brakes are ever coming back, but it's sad that manufacturers are opting for mechanical discs on their lower end stuff.

I will die on the hill the rim brakes are better than mechanical discs, and the cynic in me suspects that mechanical discs are only there to try and make the lower-end stuff look more expensive than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have rim, mechanical disc, and hydraulic disc across my "good", "winter" and "gravel" bike. I'd have the mechanical disc above rim in the wet tbh, especially carbon rim brake.

Just to revisit 8 valves post - I think modern bikes still have punctures and take a quick link to fix the chain? I've been on spins with plenty of older bikes and cyclists, who can't do the basics. I don't think that's related to age of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I love my modern road bike with its hydraulic disc brakes and electronic gears... except when I forget to charge it, like earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Advertisement