Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern bikes...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I did that earlier in the summer and had to take out my 80s Raleigh. Stopped in Kinsale for a break and a guy came up to me admiring the bike and we had a 20 minute chat about old steel bikes. On the way home a guy in a 4x4 stalked me for a 100 yards or so until I turned around to look at him. He then pulled alongside, wound down the window and shouted “beautiful bike”. I was expecting something quite different but was happy and relieved to give him a smile and a thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Is there not some kind of functionality to connect a power bank to the di2 system to either run it or charge it on the move for situations like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I see Time are going to stop making rim frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Pity, but I think they are struggling these days. They've been through several changes of ownership in recent years, the pedals division has been sold off to SRAM and they've lost one of their USPs - the fact that their frames were made in France as they've moved much of their production to Slovakia. The range is a bit weird too - three flavours of their Alpe d'Huez climbing bike (two of which have discs), a gravel bike based on their climbing bike and an aero-ish bike that's well behind the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Absolutely no other bike I own gets the amount of attention that my 1982 Carlton does any time that I take it out for a spin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rather than derail 54and56's thread with an OT question, will ask this here. Raam stated:

Electronic gears are just so much better IMO. You can shift standing up on climbs and under load on the flat.

what is it about electronic gears that allows this? i assume the chain, jockey wheels, teeth profile on the sprockets etc. is the same - so what's left that would explain the difference? the way the derailleur moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I guess it's the motor which helps make it shift better. I can still shift standing up on mechanical but you gotta be careful with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Same. Is it a cadence thing? That mechanical takes the 'skill' out of the riders hands (feet?) by judging optimal split second for making the shift?

Ah here. The electronic judges nothing. It doesn't have pressure sensors. The ruder does though (brain, hands, fingers) Perhaps the question should be reversed? The difference is the cyclist maybe. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Ah here. I never said it did. I asked a question out of curiosity. Thanks for your reply though, I actually care less now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It’s the speed and the precision of the derailleur movement that makes it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

I was completely set on the opinion that I didn't need or rate Di2 until I tried it and my god I absolutely love it.

My day-to-day bike is a 105 equipped disc brake setup which gives me absolutely no issues whatsoever but then I got a lend of an Ultegra Di2 equipped bike and the difference is night and day. Firstly the hoods are so much narrower and the shifting is a joke.

Then.... I got a lend of an Aethos.... and yep you guessed it, I was blown away by the bike and the level of comfort vs. my day to day bike (which I do around 5k per year on).

I try a lot of bikes and I think for me the sweet spot is going light instead of aero and comfort. That's where I am fastest (I'm not fast).

I'm still riding around on the 105 disc set up but I think my next bike will be a Winspace SLC rim brake with Di2...

If you do go with a Winspace please post up your experience here. I have looked at that SLC frameset from time to time online and it is appealing - kind of like a new more reasonably priced TCR.

Advertisement