Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I received my Red Devil 7900 XTX today and set it up just now. Hitting over 2800MHz in GTA V. Only played for a very short while just to see. No coil whine either which is a massive plus since one or two mentioned it here and then I also seen reports of it online. The thing is massive but not that heavy. I'm pretty sure my reference 6900 XT was heavier but I'm not 100% on that. This card is a three slot design and also comes with a bracket to stop sagging.

Over all I'm impressed with this card and cost about the same as the reference 7900 XTX cost direct from AMD if they had it in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What resolution you gaming at? Definitely tempted to get one myself, but I'd have to do a full new build to justify it.

4k 120Hz but it would still be good for high refresh lower resolutions.

Yeah probably great for high refresh 1440p ultra wide, any weird issues you've noticed yet or smooth sailing? Have you tried ray tracing?

I don't think I own any games with ray tracing. No weird issues. Well I have one and that is my 850W PSU isn't big enough. Well I knew after I ordered it as I seen on the PowerColor website that the recommended PSU is 900W. Then I ran Timespy benchmark while over clocked and passed the two graphics parts but crashed in the CPU part and I'm not sure if it was my bad CPU overclock or if my PSU wasn't powerful enough as the CPU part tests both CPU and GPU together so I may not have had enough power with my 850W PSU.

• Advertisement

That's helpful for me as I've an 850w too, was it awkward setting up the triple 8 pin power cables? What CPU you running? Sorry for all the questions, researching before I look at building.

I have a 3700X but had it overclocked to 4.45GHZ which is really pushing that CPU as it's max is 4.4GHz. I'd say day to day running and just playing games then my 850W is fine but really pushing GPU and CPU in benchmarks then you really do need a high wattage PSU.

It's a bright card. Red light bar surrounds the card.

New boards was acting up with my post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD RX 7600 releasing with $269/€299 MSRP.

Question remains if it's just a rebadged RX 6600 XT/6650 XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would be pretty obvious, RDNA 3 is substantially different in terms of its architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Reviews look pretty good. Solid 1080P and reasonable 1440p card with good features at a comparatively good price.

The 4060Ti is an absolute embarrassment.

I disagree. The RX 7600 is just a rebadged RX 6650 XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

It's rdna 3 so it is not a rebadge, AV1 encoding alone confirms that.

In fairness now if it wasn't it would cost way more than they are selling it for.

Same number of cores, same boost clock, same memory interface.

And basically same performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

From what I saw so far maybe a 5% performance improvement for raster gaming, more for RT, AV1 encoding, seemingly unused for now AI cores, slightly faster memory, slightly lower power usage.

I'm not pretending it's exciting but at $270 it's at least cheaper than (launch MSRPs) and significantly faster than it's nominal predecessor (6600 non-xt) and doesn't have the likes of the 6500xt stupidity of removing the media block or anything else that jumps out to me as tragic. I say nominal predecessor as I think nvidia have made it extremely clear with the 40 series that connecting cards by names is just playing into the hands of the marketing departments. What makes me laugh there is they didn't rename the chips though so if you look at those names instead it shows up the game being played (e.g. GA-107 3050 -> AD-107 4060).

Really though I was just saying that it's not an actual rebadge which I know Nvidia have shadily done in the past and want to say AMD/ATI have also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Apart from at the extremely high end both companies have done a **** job this generation performance wise. Price wise it's the usual attempted rip off all round and the only bright side is AMD absolutely **** themselves and **** up this launch. Moving the price down to 270 at least pushes msrp back towards to a reversal, although hardware unboxed are correct and it should be even lower.

AMD never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity

• Advertisement

It was an open goal 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

It's a poorly priced card that should fall in price relatively quickly. If they'd even been slightly more aggressive with the pricing and launched at $249, it would have gotten much better press. The 6600/6700 series is just a much better buy until they run out of stock.

This really feels like a skip generation. The 4090 and 7900 XTX were ok, but everything else announced so far feels pointless while RX 6000 series GPU's are still widely available.

The 6950xt for around 600 is a real deal right now or the 6750xt for like 350-400

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

6950 XT is a tier above a 3070 and even the 3080. It is like a 3090 as AMD that gen were at par with Nvidia apart from RT. But the current gen the 4090 is above anything AMD have.

I'm playing modern games (only play single player) at good settings, still, on a GTX1080

I can wait this one out

From the little research I've done the 6750xt is around the same as a 3070 +5% at traditional rasterization, the 6950xt is similar to a 3090ti in performance. Obviously ray tracing isn't as good and they don't have dlss

Turns out that most AMD GPUs can drastically reduce their idle power use by turning VRR (FreeSync) on at all times.

Seeing rumours that the 7700 & 7800 GPUs are expected in the next 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Basket case products.

Moores law is dead had a recent video where his contacts are of the opinion that AMD aren't really pushed about getting more market share because they're not actually ready to deal with the pressure/expectations. The more I think about it, it does makes sense. The gamers nexus tour of the company showed that compared to intel they are still effectively a tiny skunkworks type operation with limited staff and resources. Issues like this show that engineering wise, radeon is close but no cigar territory and that changing that is still going to take time. They may never get there. Sucks for gamers but ultimately nvidia will always make more money from professional/ai products which they've got a software monopoly on, and intel have shuttered their graphics division, so nothing is going to change in the next few years.

Advertisement