Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why solo cycling is better than club/group cycling

Options
  • 31-07-2023 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I love cycling and what I love about it is, Getting out into fresh air, Enjoying scenery, Stopping when I want to take it in, getting exercise, going my own pace and doing my own route and it's for these reasons I don't enjoy club or group cycling. I really feel group cycles are always stuck in 'training' mode and never ever in enjoyment mode.

I want to see scenery for several hours I don't want to stare at some ould lads' arse in front of me going up and down for 3 or 4 hours.

I want to hear nature and birds sing not listen to other people's poorly maintained bikes rattle along as someone in the group lectures you about his 'best time' last week and continues with boring tedious bragging type conversation on his times or averages or aero position etc.

I want to go where I want and set my own pace not tear along at fast speeds never stopping or taking anything in.

I want to feel the added safety of not having other cyclists around me. I've been in several group spins with experienced cyclists with someone nearly always doing something stupid and dangerous ie freewheeling or slowing rapidly when someone is behind them or rapidly changing lane with no notice etc.

You don't have that problem with solo cycling.

I suppose maybe I'm not a young lad anymore and care not for the speeding along. Club cycling can make you faster but not much I find 2-4kms an hour faster max than someone non club. I'd much rather enjoy 100kms spin solo stopping/taking it in/getting a coffee etc rather than tear along and for what? To do the cycle 15 minutes faster? Why? I don't race I don't do tour the france nothing like that and neither do they!

I don't get the obsession clubs have with being 'faster and stronger' why? Unless you are constantly racing their is no point in bettering your time at the detriment of your enjoyment.

For me it's about getting out into nature and enjoying a spin. I just can't do that in a group obsessed with maintaining an 'average' or doing a route in a certain time and tearing along never stopping. No one cares if you cut a few minutes off your time.

Suppose I see cycling as a very personal thing. It's me time. My way to get away from it all and I simply can't get away from it all surrounded by people.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I enjoy both but I don't regard them as quite the same thing.

I love solo spins because I like time on my own whether it is to clear my head or as you say to hear the sounds around me.

However, I regard the club spins as a social event and while I still get to enjoy the scenery and so on, I also have the banter. I'd also point out that I'm not spending three or four hours looking at the arse in front of me (regardless of whether it's a man or woman in front of me) but I get your point. The advantage of club spins is that there is safety in numbers. By this, I'm also referring to the times where you're heading into a poxy headwind and can share the lead or you suddenly feel lousy and you have others to help get you home. The group I head out with do a mix of route typoes (sometimes hills, sometimes more flat) and whilst we aim for a certain pace, we're not pushing ourselves to our limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our clubs Sundays spins are social - 70km ish with a cake stop and its a time to have a chat and bit of banter with friends - flats and hills included and great to clear the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Heavyheartedsigh

Fair enough but many aren't and many would see 70kms as a mickey mouse spin. Just my experience with them it's head down no stops and doing at the very least 90kms at an average of at least 26kms an hour. My experience with any clubs is they are always 'training' orientated and I prefer to be more leisurely on a spin.

I don't know about that safety in numbers thing always felt safer alone. It's just drafting there is always the possibility of a tight knit group someone doing something erratic and you can react faster alone as visibility is far better. In a group you can be reliant on the person in front shouting out possible dangers but in wind can be very hard to hear people too so the safety in numbers thing cycling I don't really agree with. Solo I only have to worry about myself in a peloton or group you have to worry about those around you too or be aware of them. Not all club cyclists have amazing etiquette and often do erratic or dangerous manoeuvers

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Dr.Tom

What killed the Sunday "club spins" for me was when I finally realised there were lots of people there with an agenda to bury each other for bragging rights and pub talk. John was going bad Sunday. I killed Mick going up the climb etc. Very hard to have a group spin when everyone has a different motive. I used to do my turbo sessions during the week to enjoy the Sunday spin and clock up relatively easy mileage whereas others done nothing all week to kill everyone else on Sunday.

Hence the reason I'm now a solo cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I like both.

Getting out on my own is just heaven, but sometimes i want a chat and company on a spin.

But in a group spin its the social aspect thats good. there are always one or two who ruin it. Like the ones who seem to want to antagonize other road users and then moan about this car and that car and what they did for the whole day. Or the ones who want to brag how good they are by ragging om someone else who was holding us up who was struggling. In general though, bar those two types, who seem to get on every club spin, most are just out for the fun of it and the social interaction. I guess you get hardliners in every walk of life so you just have to let them in one ear an out the other.

I agree pal the bragging thing to me is infuriating. I did such a time or such a speed or whatever who cares? I mean these lads who want to do a average of 30kms + an hour of I can live with them but what is the point in almost race cycling on a Sunday morning spin and then being wrecked after with sore legs the next day?

In fairness with clubs lots of nice people in them too but they nearly always have 2/3 bragging ould lad types who are obsessive about times/speeds/who did what and whom they can lecture in a kinda nasty I'm a better cyclist than you type but they disguise it as 'helping'

Then cycling clubs wonder why they can't get new members to go out for spins on Sundays. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Don't think I've come across any of those characters in my club spins. Maybe I'm lucky with the only club in Ireland that doesn't have them?

Group/ team sports aren't for everyone. Long solo round trip spins bore the daylights out of me. Then again, a long solo point-to-point spin can be a lovely way to spend a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I like cycling on my own because the club spins don't go early enough or hard enough for me. I come home and brag to myself about myself. I have no idea what the point of this thread is. No body is forced to go on any club spin that they don't want to join. Cycling on your own has benefits and drawbacks, cycling in a group has other benefits and other drawbacks, that's it.

I am primarily on my own because I can go at the pace I want, on the route I want, at the schedule I want. You are reading far too much into perceived clandestine "motives" of others on club spins.

I never said clandestine or motives you did! but if I did say motives I suspect I know what they are.

I just think clubs are too 'training' orientated and many of them do have preachy ould lad types. I also prefer to take in scenery rather than look at the back of someone else cycling. Nothing there about motives or clandestine is there : )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My group is the same as yours - there's no pretention or posing in the group and the conversations with whoever is beside you being just a normal discussion.

Yes you are lucky count your blessing but I find it hard to believe myself! Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agreed on the point of this thread.

Both have benefits, choose one.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Do you never tire of returning here repeatedly with these dumb threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Definitely valid points raised by OP and a lot of clubs have introduced different groups to allow for this. Noting worse than listening to lads talking about winning a race that no one else was aware of being a race.

Myself I enjoy the handy Sunday rides and if I feel like suffering I'll usually just head out earlier and meet up with the group starting out or do some intervals off of the back of the group.

Smashing one another up hills etc is willy waving stuff and half those lads probably don't race or wouldn't last very long in a race.

In saying that if you're out with a group that do race they may incorporate intervals as a group.

As mentioned above it's not a case of all or nothing find a group that suits your interest and go with that. The roadman podcast had a good podcast on how the sunday spin is dying, can't find it now but recall it being a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Always now either go on my own or with perhaps one or two others. Don't bother with larger group rides these days. That said the longer rides can definitely be tougher when you're solo.

Maybe it was my bad luck but there were always a few dickheads who would do their best to intentionally hold up traffic or be disruptive, and see it as their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

The Op has 7 posts. Are you suspicious it's a re-reg who is always coming on and posting the same under different usernames?

Can you send links to the roadman podcast thanks.

I think maybe certain clubs get dominated by certain personality types. The over bearing uber confident ould lad who's riding since the 70's and knows it all and by god he's going to tell you about it!

Agreed very few of them do anything in real race but they like to pretend they would hop of Jonas Vingegaard in a race and leave him in the dust.

Also on club rides whats with the incessant talking? I don't care about your day I'm trying to escape mine. Even giving certain folk very abrupt short responses they still don't get the message. I don't wanna talk while cycling! Any silent clubs out there? : )

Always this clickbaity stuff. I wonder if he's even a cyclist or just likes to get people venting on something/anything.

To be fair a social spin usually involves people being sociable. 🤷‍♂️If you want to hear less talking maybe do the boards evil spin. I hear it's more huffing and puffing than talking 🤣

It was a good while ago I listened to the podcast I mentioned and there's no search function but here's the website with podcast links. I find it a good listen, some of the stuff I don't agree with but in general he's pretty much no airs or graces and calls out BS as it should be.

Actually just found it. I had the name wrong its' The group ride is broken.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right no one here has ever ridden a bicycle that's right good lad.

Something I will never ever ever understand is those who spend all their days trolling and trying to derail a thread if you have zero interest in the discussion why hang around? Are you honestly telling me you spend your days trying to derail threads on boards.ie there is literally nothing better for you to do at all? Sweet Jesus how incredibly sad is that.

You're the one who keeps coming back with your stupid thread titles probably taken from GCN videos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you don't like the aul lad preachy types , listening to the roadman podcast is the wrong thing to do.

He's the worst type for talking absolute bluster and shite about being a proper cyclist. You can say no airs or graces, but he's some sort of faux throwback who is trying so very hard to sound to sell himself as sone sort of idea of what a cyclist should be

I have a particular hate for those guys who seem to want to mess with the car drivers and then spend the rest of the day moaning about car drivers. Its almost like they have nothing better to do than to prove that every car driver is a kunt and they are right all the time. These people are just bad for everyone. There are two of them in my club and the rest of us try to get out without them, but its not always possible. We now have different groups going out at different times too just so you can see which group the knobs are in and go in the other one :)

Imagine what those same people are like if you get stuck with them on the road :)

Ah I don't get that at all from him, certainly wouldn't consider him preachy but I can see how he ruffles feathers. Now granted I don't listen to all of his podcasts and I don't agree with all of his opinions but he does point out some of the nonsense that is cycling. He also inadvertently highlights some of the nonsense that he thinks cycling should be in equal measure

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spudpicker2022

"at the detriment of your enjoyment" - it all depends on what one's definition of "enjoyment" is. And that can vary!!! Clubs generally have different groups to cater for different levels. Sometimes, getting riders to join the most suitable group is the biggest challenge. At the end of the day, no one is forcing anyone to group ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Looks like not much has changed in the last quarter century of cycling in Ireland …apart from the number of ladies involved …and ,eh,’coffee stops’ …when did they become such a firmly entrenched thing to the point that some people have ‘cafe bikes ‘ ?! Like they were starting to crop up in mid Noughties if you were out on a long spin but now it seems some want to stop after hardly warming up .Do some cyclists actually gain weight - positive calorie balance ?-on their spins nowadays ?! Anyway the Winter weekend warriors would NEVER get up in the races .GOD be with the days when men were men etc

I know obviously no one is forced to I get that but I gave group rides a go many a time for 'Sunday spins' and they would be advertised or in the message group or whatever as a nice enjoyable scenic spin. Then you get going and everyone is motoring along flat out almost trying to drop one another, at an average little over 30kms and within 30 seconds some ould fecker is bending the ear off ya 'Did I tell ya I caught a wind there the other week and cut 3 minutes off me best time' and then proceeds to wreck your head.

Also many say here clubs have different categories but not in my experience. Smaller clubs have only one group heading out on the Sunday or Saturday morning spin, wasn't any A/B or C groups.

I think people miss a point here too. This 'training' type mentality in some clubs scares off newcomers also. A newbie won't live with a 30kms average on a spin for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Wait, are 30kmh group spins considered fast spins now?

Advertisement