Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why solo cycling is better than club/group cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Heavyheartedsigh

It is to a newbie and to anyone experienced it's very steady going too. People can let on they Pogacar and average 50kms but we both know that's not true. In fact those are the people who are all talk on cycles I'm having a moan about : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Where can I find one of these club spins? Sounds pretty good to me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Seems like I've accidentally stumbled into the Grumpy Old Man thread through a previously undiscovered secret door vortex in the world wide interweb!

I have a lot of problems with the way you cycle, and now you're going to hear all about it.

Any town club with Sunday morning spins. Oh you know only about 110 to choose from.

Wouldn't you have to radically slow down though if they average only 30kms and that's slow to you when you average your usual 80kms overtaking cars on motorways and all.

Can't imagine a spin where a lighting bolt like you has to constantly slow down is pretty good but to each their own eh! 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

Not if you're a real man, or a roadman, or from a time when men were men. Or something

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

I have the best of both- any group spins I start finish as a solo as I am so slow.

Doesn't that annoy you?

No man left behind and all that. I mean if they are training for a race fair enough but surely they can go out in their own group?

Leaving cyclists behind is bad form especially for a ould Sunday spin. Drop the average speed a smidgen by 1 or 2kms an hour and most will keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Ah no, just trying to keep it lighthearted- mainly do audax so that's par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

Too be honest a big group of lycra/spandex clad cyclists is some ugly sight! 😮

• Advertisement

Ah that's different audax cycling is very different to a club spin. Over 200kms or more people will definitely have different paces.

Well that wasn't my reason to prefer solo cycling but maybe they do.

Also never met anyone cycling wearing spandex who are this people? Where are these people?

You're right, these group spins sound way too slow for me. I worry that I might doze off mid-spin and do myself an injury. Or worse, not be home first!

True, I'm always right. It's a burden sometimes : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's nice to mix it up. But generally I find a trio of like-minded and similar ability riders to be the ideal spin combo. 3 or perhaps 4. Once groups get bigger than that then you have a whole other presence, mass and inertia on the road itself and in terms of deciding where to go, when to go, when to stop, where to stop, pace etc etc. Nothing insurmountable but it requires management and obedience in equal measures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ironically I find that it's often the newer riders to a club spin who can spoil it - pushing the pace when they get to the front as if they have something to prove. I think the OP needs to find a club which have non-'training' spins - difficult in smaller clubs.

I go on several club rides each week and can't ever recall anyone boring the ear off me about their PR's. What does bug me though are the lads who come out only once or twice per year and start dictating to everyone else how to ride, what to be wearing, when to eat/drink etc as if the rest of use are newbies.

I enjoy club rides for the social aspect and for distances below 130/140kms. For long rides I prefer to go solo so that I can decide the pace, where I stop etc. When doing audax I prefer not to get into a group. I also prefer to be on my own when I get a puncture as i'm methodical by nature and prefer to take my time sorting it.

OP - not everyone is into nature, scenery, country sounds etc. I like to see trucks, tractors large machinery etc. I'm always amazed at how many cyclists are interested in birds (the feathered type). They don't interest me in the slightest. A few in our group wanted to stop on Sunday last because a hawk was spotted. WTF?

Points noted, nature is a big part of it for me yep.

I'm one of those cyclists who do it more for mental health than anything you know

and what do you mean you didn't stop to see a hawk! My God what's the World coming to : )

For a lot of people, social interaction is conducive to good mental health.

One thing that I omitted to mention in the previous post is that, in crap weather, you're more likely to keep going when in a group whereas when solo, the temptation to return home early is greater.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just like being out on my own generally. I played team sports for so long and I got sick of it. Stopped being any craic and was far too serious. Replaced it with friendly kickabouts but then I got too many injuries and enjoyed beering instead.

Cycling, I just like finding a nice quiet road and letting the world pass by.

I do occasionally cycle with a group, who meet once a year and I enjoy that but we're very much there for the social and charitable aspect of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Clubs get dominated by “certain types “ because a lot of people are reluctant to get involved at committee level in their club! They leave it to the same people year I. Year out to organise club events and then moan about it! If your club only has training orientated rides, organise a non training ride at a time that suits you, with a route and pace that suits you and guess what? I bet you’ll find quite a few club mates will support you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This.

I have very little sympathy for the OP, get on the club committee and be the change you want to be. Or just do your own thing and stop moaning about it! The one thing I can't stand is people giving out about something but doing nothing to change it or saying nothing about it to those who can help.

I am not a road cycling fan, I have 0 motivation to do it solo. I love a group spin. Love the social side of cycling and my discipline. I hate stopping, but I'd rather go on a spin that stops than do the same route solo.

I race, less than i used to, and the only issues I ever have on spins are with people who don't race. They don't get what training actually is, some 2 spins, steady spins etc. They push on every drag and the willy waving is so wearing. And there's the 'I have to be faster than the woman' thing which is just so boring.

The best spins one ever been on are women only spins. No willy waving, steady pace, good intervals done properly. It was a revelation. After 9 years racing I didn't think road cycling could be so much fun! I'll still never be a roadie though. It goes on for too long😁

I'm not asking for sympathy I also don't really get a lot your post to be honest. Of course I can go to the committee but I still prefer solo spins. Not moaning just observations make of them what you will. I think you miss my point about cycling for leisure and mental health rather than training cycling which alot of clubs seem obsessed with would be nice to have more balance but point noted about going to the committee.

What I don't get about your post is-

You type you aren't a road cycling fan but love a group spin? eh

You type about cycling with women but they don't waive their willies at you? eh

You type I hate stopping, but I'd rather go on a spin that stops? eh

Eh that's all in one reply, may I ask are you trying to contradict yourself or are you completely and totally unaware and oblivious of what you previously just typed? It's either or

Post edited by Heavyheartedsigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Completely agree with most of that. Expecting things to suit you, complaining when they don't, but never putting the time, energy and headache into organising anything seems to be getting more endemic across every facet of society these days. I find group spins vary depending on who is out... some are tight (when everyone is at the same level), some are slower, fragment/ regroup on climbs, and have a more relaxed coffee stop atmosphere (when there are different abilities out) and some will tear the legs off you (when you've been lazy for a few months/ accidentally head out with the racers). But you can always take something out of a spin. They're not for training - do that on your own or with a group of racers on the same schedule as you.

I honestly can't say I've ever had an issue on a club spin other than when you get a lot of newbies out and its a bit more challenging keeping everyone tight (which is normal, we all started somewhere). Yes, there's the odd fella that you just don't like... but so what... that's in no way unique to cycling clubs. We're not that precious now are we that we have to like everyone or we're not going out anymore?

But... what's willy waving? From this thread it seems to be something only people who don't like hill climbs notice? How should a group ride up a testing climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I was never really able to commit to club cycling for various reasons, so the majority of my cycling is solo by default. I think at this point I'm so set in my cycling ways, I'd be terrible in a group. Even on the odd sportive I do, although I really enjoy the banter and chat, I inevitably end up doing my own thing rather than either annoying other people or getting frustrated/left behind when the pace doesn't suit me.

There's nothing contradictory at all in her post and her points make perfect sense to me.

1. She's a track cyclist and doesn't particularly enjoy road cycling but will put that to one side to go out on the road with a group.
    2. Cycling with women and 'willy waving' - presumably she means that they hold the group together better on climbs and there's no one shooting off at the front to get to the top first (i.e. willy waving).
    3. She prefers not to stop on a ride but is prepared to do so in order to go with a group rather than doing it solo.

Apologies eeee if I've mis-interpreted any of your points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's about it WA.

One extra thing, The kind of dining I do is integral to my physical and mental health, there isn't one type of cycling that's good for that. Just because you're training doesn't negate that.

Also group spins aren't for training, you do your training/ intervals during the week and the Sunday spin is social only, at least till January.

Just because you don't enjoy group spins OP doesn't mean they're not enjoyable for everyone, and your experiences are far from universal. You must have been unlucky with the club spins you tried cos I've been out with a lot of clubs on spins over the years and that's not my experience at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

OP, you dont like group spins, and that's fine. They are not for everyone. Most group spins do not have all of the bad points that you mention, but I'm not sure you appreciate the good points either.

I'm unable to get out more than once in a few weeks with the local club, most of my cycling is solo, and there's plenty I find better about that. Probably one of the major things is being able to take full charge for my own safety. big groups on small roads are often a recipe for disaster, even with cyclists doing nothing wrong. motorists just will get more annoyed by a big group and take worse chances.

my local club is mostly leisure, and its the training spins that I try to go on.. go figure.

The craic and the banter is far superior to solo, but not everyone appreciates that I guess.

I find group spins for mtb to be far far better than solo, once you have a reasonably closely matched group. the craic and the banter being a major part of it, but also being able to help each other out, encouraging each other through difficult sections, being there to help an injured rider.

Generally in a good group spin you'll push yourself further, particularly on the more miserable bits, than solo. Sure, that's not for everyone, but each to their own

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth noting that the OP is gone, so might not be any point addressing them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's terrible that the OP was forced to join a cycling club and cycle with them. It's a shame that they can't be liberated from it and let cycle on their own.

Advertisement