Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why solo cycling is better than club/group cycling

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have to say, this may be the stupidest thread in a long time ( I know the OP is gone). If you want to cycle alone, cycle alone. If you don't like club spins, don't go on them. I don't enjoy certain sports so I don't play them. It isn't rocket science. If you want to cycle in a group and your local club are not to your tastes, find another one, and so on.

What?

Not sure where you got the mental health issues angle or the idea I was having a dig at someone's mental health but you're anger is sorely misplaced.

Maybe read the thread before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I tend to ride solo midweek and at a more relaxed pace, and then look forward to the club spins on Sat and Sun which can be a mannerly pace or can be a bit manic pace wise. A great variety and all enjoyable in different ways. I'm no spring chicken either OP🙂., the bus pass application has been submitted 😀.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I would suggest, politely, reread the thread but what you are accusing me of simply did not happen. Much like the OP I enjoy cycling on my own and would be of a similar opinion to them in regards preferring solo cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭newmember2

The OP was very clearly referencing mental health about getting away from people, me time, enjoying scenery etc to use your words 'it's not rocket science'

It certainly isn't but you seem to have added 2+2 together and got 5. Since when has enjoying scenery signalled mental health issues? (asking for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

You need to fit in to ride in a club. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

My god. The surreal has just gotten surrealer!

If only there was a way to avoid having to cycle in groups when you hate cycling in groups???

I'm going to follow my own theory now and take my leave from this bizarre thread in perpetuity.

WHY SOLO CYCLING IS BETTER THAN CLUB/GROUP CYCLING

Looking forward to seeing the results of the review that was carried out to arrive at this definitive conclusion.......

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

I assume this is just the OP back again ...

• Advertisement

Nah...just me being ironic, ironically it didn't work....😉

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

I meant the bored millionaire.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cycling clubs are always full of oddballs

You've been in them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

All the one’s he’s been in have had at least one oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I prefer solo threads to group threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I cycle without a helmet. Will I be openly welcomed?

No.

More an insurance thing, CI requires a helmet and a club couldn't be seen to encourage or welcome someone without one or else they open themselves up to litigation in the case of an accident, regardless of if the helmet was involved or not.

Plenty of non CI spins, just mates going for a spin, can't see the issue there.

Mod VOICE: Nope, we have a helmet mega thread and there is no legal obligation to wear one. Do not have a go at someone's personal choices about helmets in this thread. Anyone else does so will find themselves taking a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

It’s gas , I’d nearly echo what the (now gone op) is saying , it’s been my preference to cycle solo or with maximum 3 mates for decades.

I’ve under taken multiple 130 km single stint cycles solo.

I do like the freedom of stopping to look at something random or meet random people when out and about.

I’ve also tried participating in group events inc charity and the great bike run.

its still beats me, to this day as to why I should pay €60 euro( 2023 great bike run cost) to ride on public roads ???

However ,anybody who cycles in a group best of luck to them.

I find groups fundamentally unsafe, not because I can’t bunch and draught well , but because of the road safety attitude and group mentality giving every rider a false sense of security, and dare I say entitlement.

I’ve also been passed by multiple groups who shout out , idiot non issues every 30 seconds , they’re only short of calling out random blades of grass as obstacles .This over reaction to non hazards makes real hazards dangerous imho as overcalling leads to complacency for the important calls.Plus it makes a balls of the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

Having formed my opinion , over many years/decades, that my way of solo/dual cycling was fundamentally safer and having clocked up over 14,000 km over a good few years, my fears over amateur group cycling in Ireland were confirmed when, the death of a close friend of mine on a group cycle , unfortunately proved my point . I won’t go into any detail, but the same club had a second member killed a few years later .

So enjoy your cycling and each to your own , but the op made a valid point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Something that's not a hazard solo, can very good easily be one among even a small group.

People die cycling alone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’d go further and say that I suspect the vast number of cyclists killed on Irish roads every year are cycling solo (commuting probably). And anyone who prefers cycling solo should not ride in a group if it makes them feel uncomfortable as to do so puts them and all the other riders in the group at greater risk of a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alexago

While group cycling has its benefits, solo cycling offers unique advantages. It allows for greater flexibility in choosing routes, pace, and rest stops. Additionally, solo cycling encourages self-reliance and self-reflection. When riding alone, I can focus on my own goals, explore new paths, and gain a deeper connection with my bike. Though it might be safer to ride in a group. I'm currently learning how to maintain my bike with the help of this source https://www.bikertricks.com/parts-of-a-bike/ in the hope to be ready for unpredictable situations on the road.

Post edited by alexago on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"gain a deeper connection with my bike"

WTF? More American corporate clap trap. A bike is an inanimate object.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like AI generated guff. i'd delete it only it'd be confusing now that you've responded to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Clearly you've never ridden a fixie. It's a zen thing, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Hey,less of it please. We'll be rolling this out on Boards going forward in Q4 so we can reach out and live our best lives

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The temptation to close this thread...

I don't think there are any stones left unturned in the debate.

Fixies/ track bikes ftw on the at one with your machine stakes. Although you can get that with any bike on a nice day in a good mood in your favourite spot on your rattle free- smooth going bike. Alone or in company as is your want!

ETA: I'm team company. I hate solo spins bar perfect conditions. Road cycling is boring and i have to take it like medicine for racing. Much more fun in company. I've done so much training on the road solo and it's a means to an end largely.

I love training solo in the gym, on rollers, turbo. Really love that. And in perfect conditions on the road too. Road isn't my didcipline, never was, my discipline is really social and that's what i like about cycling. But company lightens the load for me. I'm still not over the shock of the atmosphere at my first road race 9 years later. So serious and no fun!

TL, DR: To each their own

You want to enter the Mick Lawless memorial on the 16th September @eeeee it's like track racing but with more turns, nice social feeling, there will be a van with coffee and food, or if the weather is good, you can bring a picnic to relax and watch the other races

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry, but we don't have the bandwidth for that sort of blue sky thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm even less fit now than my pukey ML debut!

But I can recommend this race for anyone else it's all the fun.

They don't tell you but you can take a wee rest round the top corner 😜

Advertisement