Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At this time of year milk fever can be a problem. A bare paddock with possibly a bale of hay can prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cows tend to be in good condtion coming to calving. Extra grass is driving calf size and thus a harder calving. A small pick of grass and loads of hay is perfect for the final 3 weeks before calving. At the moment strip wire is really needed to keep the ground bare

Down to the last couple here now. Had a cow calved on Tues morning. I just pulled the calf out before milking and stomach tubed him after milking. Was doing other stuff for the morning and when I checked on him there was blood everywhere. Don't know if the cow pulled the navel or what. I cleaned it and put cable ties on it. Put purple spray on it and he's getting pen strep. It took alot out of him and he's standing today. Never a dull moment

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Dam Minus 1.9kg for milk. Figure that one out

Pabo Peredur S3883 heifer calf. A keeper despite what ICBF say

Post edited by Seanhorse91 on

• Advertisement

Don't know if I posted this here . Pb Angus heifer calved unassisted on Saturday born December 2021. Heifer calf. Only realised she was in calf last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Seanhorse91 I ve seen cows with smaller udders in milking parlours, best of luck with them. Ye I really don't understand the ICBF figures something. But what I do know is you wouldn't want to basing you framing decisions on them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just in from calving a cow. The feet were out for over an hour and no progress. Feet looked big enough too. Had her in a small field near the shed but no way could I get her in. She ended up running across the field in the dark. Managed to get the ropes on when she stood near a couple of other cows.

While she kept standing, I managed to pull the calf. I was nearly flat to the ground with the calf held at the hips. Ropes cutting into my hands. Large lively bull calf by LM4027.

The things we do at times. Mad at myself for not putting her in the shed earlier.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Just after calveing the last for the year, unknown twins out of a jersey cross screwy type suckler.

First comeing with head bent a bit sideways, second surprise comeing backwards, and well down inside her.

She only has two tits of milk I see now, and it was only when i finished tubing her first calf, that I stuck my hand inside her by chance before I let her out of calveing gate to find a second set of feet.

Just back now from running the roads for beeslence, waiting to tube second calf now. They are weak looking so in the hands of God what there future will be.

I'd say you were sweating patsy after the running and then stress. You leaveing all outside till morning and hope it sucks itself?

Just checked them there. He was up walking around. She looks like he drank her. I made a mental note of her udder and fullness last night.

Best of luck with the twins.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

Quick 1 - do many give suckler cows meal over the summer like dairy nuts to keep milk supply ticking over and to help bring them bulling ?

No. Just good grass and mineral links. Have a creep feeder for the calves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No not really.

Was just asking in general as I always give then a sprinkle after they go out to avoid tetany and just curious if others do the same or feed a small amount over the summer.

Last cow calved today. Slipped from Paddy's Day last year which was very disappointing.

Can anyone tell me why the f@#k when you try to put a calf sucking all he wants to do is reverse and let his legs go weak. Just goes totally against you 😤

Ya, it's weird alright. Or when you push them forward, they stick in their front legs and their back legs lift up. It's like a survival instinct or something. Predators can't push them around.

Ah it's brutal carry on is what it is. I just wanted to make sure she got a suck but had to leave her to her own devices in the end and hope for the best.

Annoying thing is she was sucking mad at underside at front of the cow before I tried her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The second last calved yesterday. A good enough blue grey heifer calf. Calved unassisted, up and sucking by herself. The dam (3rd calver) is a AAx, sire is our own Shorthorn bull. The cow calved on the 21st of August last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Here's a tip that might be useful to someone. Had a cow calf here night before last. Watching her closely out in a small field beside the shed. She's normally quiet enough , even let me put Stockholm Tar on her teats in the field. Anyway I had to go collect calves for a neighbour just as she started calving. She had calved when I got back. A big bull. She was shaking the head at me, so I let them be.

Calf couldn't stand even after about 2 hours. Dark now and raining and he kept sliding down a slippery slope. Cow getting more agitated as I tried to get near the calf. Anyway I got the tractor and transport box and from the tractor seat, threw a small lifting strap over the calves head and pulled him up onto the box. Held onto him and drove into the calving pen and dropped him off on the straw. Cow came right in after him and I got her in the gate with some meal. Stood him up and got him to drink from one teat. No way could I get him on another. Fought me all the way.

Crazy as it sounds, it's a good safe way to take away calves like that from a potentially dangerous cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Had to do the same with an older cow outdoors on a filthy wet night last March. A search light was beamed into to her eyes from the boundary, the calf was snatched fairly lively into the transport box.. she didn't know where the calf had gone, got her in when the calf was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

I had a cow here years ago, and the transport box trick was used every year without fail. I had a 165 back then, so the process was snatch the calf into the box, and leap in through the back of the cab. I remember the first year after I got a tractor with a closed in cab. I was wondering how I was going to manage it. I reversed the box up to the calf, who was standing at the time. I still don't know how it happened, but the cow hit the calf with her head, and knocked him straight into the box. I couldn't believe my luck. After that it was just the usual process of her doing two laps of the paddock before landing into the shed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve a useful tip too, put the cow in the calving pen or at least in the shed before she calves, mad idea i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I rachet strapped a ring feeder to the loader and dropped it over a new born calf in a field that I wasn’t sure if it sucked or not. Gave it a bottle of survivor and safe from the cow. Not ideal but kept the calf alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The older cows can't hack the slats, are outdoors for the last couple of weeks. Only the ones that are obviously going to calve that day/night are put in the calving shed, saves cleaning up after them.

That was the plan but she wouldn't leave her calving spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Suckler farmer

Morning all

Pretty sure we have a heifer calf by the neighbours bull. Any advice registering the calf? Should we get tag number off the neighbour or leave blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you are in scep don’t. I got stung a couple of years ago. Went to the trouble of getting tag number off my neighbour for his bull that did the deed and then got penalised because I couldn’t record docility etc of the bull because he wasn’t in my herd. Would have been better off just sticking down a random AI code

Advertisement