Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've been trying to foster this calf on to another cow that calved the following night. I let the cow in twice a day to her own calf and this calf. She puts her head tru the calving gate for some meal and she lets both drink away. When I'd let her out she'd puck away the foster calf. Wasn't sure what to do as it's 3 weeks now. This morning I let her in loose to them and she stood for both. A few more days and maybe I could let them off outside.

3 weeks seems like a long time but I thought it was easier than mixing milk powder for just one calf. I guess I'm just more stubborn than the cow.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good luck with that you deserve a good outcome! We had one die with tetany and put her calf on as a double. He was a great rough calf and the cow took to him and is doing a good job on both. Bulled again now and I hope back in calf. Be careful to watch out when you do chance them out I’ve seen one that will stand in the yard go off a calf in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Had a cow with twins Friday first calf out was a heifer 2nd was a bull. The cow mad about the bull but only so so on the heifer. Her second set in 2 years hope she'll do a good job on both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How much is it to dispose of a stillborn calf to the knackery, and is it any cheaper dropping it off personally to the knackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

• Advertisement

It's eamonns I was thinking of, that's better value than I thought. Thanks tanko.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Who2

15 to drop off beside me and twenty five collected.

Seems normal collection price alright, but big difference in 5 and 15 for drop off.

Post edited by Jb1989 on

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

15 to drop off here too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is the twin bull stronger/larger than the heifer. I often wonder is it due to the fact that one calf (normally the bull) is stronger, more capable than the other and nature has a way of sorting out the strong from the weak as in if they were living in the wild. One of the cows here had mixed twins a few weeks ago. The bull is a good third larger than his sister but thankfully the cow doesn't treat them any differently. When I see them sucking in the field it's always the bull I see on first and the heifer could be yards away before she runs over. As time goes on the bull with get the better do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Yup the bull is considerably bigger. The heifer was out first but about an hour later it was thrown out and doing the death roar. Tubed her straight away and vet gave here metacam we were sure the cow had stood on the calf but 3 hours later up she got and is flying it thankfully I'd say you are right nature was kicking in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭jfh

Regarding the castrating the calves with the lamb rings, I have been meaning to do it but hesitant incase it goes wrong, I take it, that it would need to be done in the first two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I do it within first 7 days. An odd one goes to 8 days and never an issue. Just make sure that both balls are down below the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭jfh

Thanks dunedin, I have no excuse so

Decent heifer calf leaves 2 to go

@GNWoodd I meant to say this is the girl that put out the calf bed two years ago. No problems both calves since but the only thing was that she slipped her date a bit and obviously is bit of a late calver now so that’s still two strikes. Young cow I’d say we’ll let her run on another year as long as she goes in calf ok

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And that’s us down to one

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Very quiet. I can get into the pen with the majority that have calved. If I'm assisting calving I just get into the pen when the cow is having contractions and put the straps on. Cows only go up the crush if there is a major problem and for helping suckle I just put a bit of meal in front of the cow. It's only heifers I put up the crush to make life easier on the calf and so I can move on to the next job. This is when I'm on site, I've plenty of cows I just walk away and keep an eye on the cameras. I fill in a diary every year for each calving saying what signs the cow makes coming up to calving and on the day, does she usually calve early or late, does she pace around the pen endlessly or does she lay down and get on with it, does she go mad when the calf is born or does she calmly lick it, does she stand to be suckled, all udders working, can I get into the pen or is she dangerous post calving etc. I'd say thats the biggest help of all.

I am very against tubing unless there is no other way. It hurts the calf which then delays them suckling, they have to recover and then get interested in suckling again which can take 8-12 hours sometimes, like you said it can take a few days which means you have to tube again which has a further knock on effect. I'd tube 1 in 30 or 40 and only as a last resort. Hearing guys tube every calf regardless is mad but dairy calves are a whole other breed and potential problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

FIL had a simx heifer calf Friday, very small calf. We put the cow in the crush to milk her as the calf couldn't reach her tits. All she has in all four quarters is water. Its not mastitis or anything just watery milk. Did any of you ever see that before or do you think she would come right if she was milked out everyday? She is a lovely animal and it's a shame if she is no good. Wee calf is hardy, but I am guessing the poor quality milk & him been scrunted are connected.

• Advertisement

Never saw that before but there are a couple of red flags there on her part. Hopefully she will come good and rear the wee calf for you at self. We had one that had a smallish bull calf the first year, a dwarfy enough heifer calf the next year and then she melted into nothing herself over a winter but calved a tiny wee thing that didn’t last the night. Got her into a bit of flesh and she weighed up round 650kgs seemed to be just one that couldn’t hack being in calf. Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm sure we all have had heifers calving small calves so I wouldn't be over worried about that - a lot depends on management, the heifer putting up teeth, background worm/tick issue etc. Regarding the watery milk - I wonder was there another in calf heifer sucking her or maybe another calf prior to her calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t keep up to date with this thread too much but I’d say I’d post this. I have 3 cows running late to calf and they are in a small paddock beside the yard. The first of the 3 calved yesterday. There is some ease at calving this time of year. Practically no work involved. It would make you think. I know you won’t have a strong weanling for selling but for anyone keeping calves through the winter it should be looked at. Definitely suit a system where the cows could follow a priority group so as not to be bursting with milk altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yep Neighbour does it. Long evenings Fine weather. Makes things handy. Run the last years calves ahead of them or ewes even. Makes things simple.cows go incalf easy too. No stress on them.

And that’s a wrap. Last girl calved herself yesterday a nice heifer calf. One for keeping.

have often thought about how handy it is having them calve this time

of year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You could keep the calves under the cows in the shed for the first half of the winter. Calves on slats and a creep gate.

Its hard to beat outdoor calving, easier on man and beast

Outdoor calving can be a problem though when things go wrong. Trying to get an excited heifer with the calf's legs sticking out, into the yard at 4am on your own is no fun.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Good light across the field. Electric wire guide her in and most importantly easy calving bull

Ya, I have all those, just saying it ain't all plain sailing. I am a big fan of it myself. Great when you can just sit there on the edge of the field on a rock or whatever and watch the calf get up and drink away on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Bit of hay in the evenings and anything you have a doubt about, stick under the camera

Trick is to keep them on a bare bare paddock.

Advertisement