Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Has O'Sullivans pub shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Heard a few rumours about it being smashed up. You wouldn't know what to believe. Haven't been in it for ages but the last time some of the riff raff there turned me off going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

It looks like FIKA is gone for good now, as there has been work on it this week, a DAATA sign has replaced the FIKA sign. I think this is a huge loss for Bray, it was the only decent weekend Brunch spot. Daata has already taken Box Burger away, now Fika too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Not surprised If rumours are true about O Sullivans went several times and vastly different experiences sometimes just grand but no atmosphere to a more rougher component other nights would be a shame for dockyard no. 8 who had confirmed to me on social they were planning to take over the kitchen.

Also agree on fika was quietly hoping and waiting they'd reopen. Used them for a decent vantage point of the airshow last year had lovely food and drinks.

Much like the Sally's Ice-cream and while daata is good I like having it there but surely we could do with more variety and they don't need to expand more?

• Advertisement

Exactly, Daata is a great option, but now they occupy 3 spots... their take away spot, their indoor restaurant and now the rooftop. A little more variety would have been good, considering we've lost our Burger option and Brunch option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Just wondering about options for the air show. We moved to Bray last September so it will be our first time going. Live just off the Boghall Road. Planning on walking down as expecting the traffic to be horrific. Would the Bray Head car park be a good spot for watching? Or are we just better off following the crowds to the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Either are good. It's cool to watch it from Bray head too but not every plane goes that way

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Works are taking place on Bowden cottage (one of two remaining) at the seafront. Permission was sought to demolish the cottage and replace with a two storey building for a cafe / takeaway.

• Advertisement

The coffee dock at Bray seafront has had a ski chalet type makeover. I think it could have been styled a lot better - especially being attached to what is a nice old building.

The admin on BOF also removed all negative comments about the new structure. There were many 🙄

Is he connected to the owner I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

Most Likely - the building owner used to be President of Bray Chamber of Commerce. It's an eyesore alright - I'm only hoping they at least paint it a darker colour, similar to The Palm or something so its not as harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Sally's Ice Cream at the shopping centre finally opened over the weekend. Nice addition to the setup there and my kids were big fans of the ice creams that they got. It was two kid size tubs for €6 and a full size tub was €5.50.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's a damned disgrace.... not only does it look completely out of place, the odd sized windows, mixed light fittings and is it a corugated roof on it too?

Cannot believe that it has planning permission to look like that.

I know i'm like a broken record about Bray Central, but i'd say they have 2 people max (even if) on site fitting out the remaining premises including The Stella. It's a bit of a joke that Oatmount/PressUp were given the contract and not willing to put the manpower into it to get it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Peckham

I saw it today. Absolutely awful looking.

A quick look at Wicklow County Council website suggests that it was refused planning permission. Although appealed?

Have you seen workers in the Stella? I haven't seen anyone there in months myself.

Yes, its a joke at this stage. The said finish date was mentioned to be Q4 of this year. They would need to ramp up pretty quick to hit that target.

Not holding my breath at this point.

No I haven't personally seen anyone, I was being generous as i see the odd window panel removed, or the PressUp fencing moved around by the doorway so I assumed theres at least one person. I was told by Stella Manager it would be open by September. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Lidl on the Boghall/Killarney road intersection is looking to build 2 additional floors above for 12 apartments, and to also increase their floor space by expanding into the office space that was built in the back which was never occupied.

I wonder what will go into the other empty spaces on the old AO Smith site.

Those window panels that were removed coincidently happened around the same time as the grand opening day with the councilors, I wouldn't be surprised if they were removed for show and basically to say its in progress. Haven't seen anything happen since.

Its a strange one alright.

On Wicklow planning the below reasons for refusal were given back in 2018. I cannot see that the Coffee Dock appeal was since successful?

1. It is considered that, by reason of its uncharacteristic design, the proposed development would materially and adversely affect the character of the cut-stone, granite former boathouse building to which it is to be attached and would, therefore, seriously injure the amenities of the area and be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
    2. The applicant has failed to demonstrate sufficient legal interest in the site. The area on which the proposed extension is to be constructed would appear to be public land.

Daata Rooftop opening today. Appears to be a more casual Indian tapas / small plates style menu to their main restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know what's going on with the Bolt bikes, but this was the stand on Herbert Road opposite the Green Tree this afternoon. I tried to count them but gave up, probably 20 or so. It's unclear whether Bolt themselves have put them there to match demand or if users have dumped them there.

@2011

It might be a good idea to either change the thread title or split the discussions out

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I would say users. That is probably one of the harder to access parts of Bray as its so far from the town. Ditto end of Dargle Road, end of Old Conna, bits of Corke Abbey and Palermo, and Southern X albeit the latter two have supermarkets vaguely in the proximity to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange what you say about Dockyard as they opened up the pub in the first place and ran the kitchen. Food was ok at first but declined. I. think it shows that people without pub experience should not run pubs.

I thought dockyard ran the kitchen years ago and then left.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Wasn't aware - pre-dated my time in Bray - O'Sullivans had told me food had stopped after covid as they couldn't get chefs in.

Advertisement