Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks.

If only starting back this week I can safely say it won't be September. Fingers crossed its completed by Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Sadly I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Doubt it will be ready in September. Sure that's next week.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can I also that I do worry about when the Stella opens as to what quality of films will be on. It won’t be like a normal omniplex.

Currently in Rathmines has Barbie and Oppenheimer which of course are current but not everyday but also Grease from 1978 and Cinderella from 1950.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rathmines Stella has only 2 screens and is specifically a boutique cinema (there's a multiplex across the road showing more mainstream fare).

I'd expect Bray Stella to show mainly mainstream stuff in it's 5 screens, I think I read one of the screens will be "posh".

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm curious what they do and what they size of the other 4 theaters and screens will be. Do we know how big the actual site is for the cinema as I'm not sure exactly which units it will be in?

You would have to assume its this unit due to its shape and height.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the bowling alley is probably in there as well.

Well you're showing the whole complex there😀 but assume you mean the largest building. On the Bray Central website they show Penneys and Sports Direct going in there but it may not be accurate.

Perhaps shops on 2 lower floors and cinema and/or bowling above.

I just think that it could be a small cinema and nothing like in Dundrum or Stillorgan and also they may not have the deals with distributers like other cinemas do. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

This looks like the layout per previous pics and plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Hiltons Pharmacy opening in the old Game Stop shop.

H&B opening Sept 19th

I walked past this last night - it still looked the exact same even though its meant to be opening today!

And over by the Stella entrance, it looks like all the scaffolding has been moved, to where I dont know.. hopefully inside to commence the work!

Regarding the Stella, passed by it the other day and some workers in there with a 110 extension lead. Is that a positive? Hopefully some movement.

On the new openings front - there's a new / remodeled chinese on main street called Chinatown. https://www.chinatownrestaurant.ie/

Popped in and they said they would be doing a mix of 'Irish Chinese' with some more interesting authentic dishes such as braised beef noodle soup and some sichuan ones like la zi chicken.

Snap of the sit-down menu

I was correct - I walked past this morning and the doors were open, inside was still a building site with 2 builders on site half arsed strolling around

Tried it last night - had the braised beef noodle soup and it was a decent effort. Naturally better in city centre but at least they're trying something different - Place was nearly full of Asian people and did appear to have interesting dishes on their tables. Will go back again to try more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

There's certainly an opportunity for a decent Asian restaurant in Bray serving more than the usual Irish Chinese.

Haven't had anything from Jasmine House in 30 years. Had a Bennys once about 10 years ago.

I miss the StarLight which was a tiny takeaway on the Albert Walk back in the late 80s/early 90s. Irish Wife and Chinese (I think) husband who did the wok cooking over 1 gas ring.

• Advertisement

Cllr Erika Doyle has posted a pretty detailed update on the Bray Angry Forum on Facebook. Plenty of things happening, most positive:

What’s happening at Bray Central? Bray Central is showing further signs of filling out its units and the fit out of anchor tenant units Penneys and Sports Direct will be completed later this year.

Progress is being made on Bray Central and there will be new units open in time for Christmas. I've always said it's better to view this as a shopping district and not a shopping centre per se, as that description gave rise to the expectation that all units would open at the same time. With individual leases in place, it was never going to be the case that the entire area would go live simultaneously. The good news is that Holland and Barret is due to open this week (it might have opened yesterday, I didn’t get to check).

Card Factory will be taking possession of their unit in the next couple of weeks and hope to open before Christmas. The bigger units, Penneys and Sports Direct are currently being fitted out; this process is expected to be complete by later this year.

Two of the other units are in the final stages of legal negotiation, and once this is complete their names will be announced.

The much-anticipated Stella cinema has just received its fire cert, and fit out work will begin in due course.

Finally, three of the kiosks have been let, and negotiations are underway for the remaining three.

I know everybody in Bray is excited to see the area develop and the retail offering for the town increase.

As the units open, the new businesses will create local employment and strengthen our local economy. I know I'm not alone in saying that I look forward to seeing the central plaza area buzzing with shoppers and activity, particularly in the run up to Christmas.

The final piece of the jigsaw is the units on the first floor, with an appeal currently with An Bord Pleanala to convert to apartments. While initially envisaged as a commercial space, the economic toll of Covid and changing face of retail and increased move to online sales, has vastly reduced the demand for first floor retail space.

It is my opinion that town centre living space at this location would be welcome, and would contribute to an increased sense of life and safety in the Main Street area after dark.

Edit to add - Bray Central is a private development and is not controlled or run by the council! Photo is me with the plaque that was unveiled during the summer marking the completion of Bray Central and the end of the partnership between Oakmount and Bray Municipal District.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brayopenforum/permalink/2316599251872244/

For me I dont' know how i feel about Bray Central.

Cinema, Penneys, Butlers are all positives to me.

Elephant & Castle, is OK.

Card shop, Wowburger, Sports Direct, ice cream place and Holland & Barrett are not adding much to the town in my opinion but of course the world doesn't revolve around me.

Also no mention about the Bert's Bowl thing so not sure but also wouldn't care about that either.

I noticed that about Bert's Bowl. Seems like its not going to go ahead.

The only thing I care about is the cinema, the statement is very vague about when anything will proceed there too.

I mean, i think its a decent update. Could have done without Holland & Barrett and the Card Factory, but whatever. Happy to hear they are aiming for Christmas for Sports Direct & Penneys and hopefully Stella is open around then too!

The most interesting part for me though is the discussion about the first floor space and its original intention to be shops, but now aiming for apartments. Whereby I agree, apartments above shops is a great move and brings life into the town, i believe they are 100% pulling the wool over our eyes with this one and that they never intended for it to be shops ever. When do you see first floor shops with slidding doors opening to open air and have outside handles on them. I believe they were installed with the intention of including a balcony... for said apartments... But whatever... just be transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Sad to see that Sea Life will close soon. Was always a fun, if expensive day out. Can't imagine what they'll do with the place once it's closed.

A new cafe opened on Vevay Road, where a pet grooming place used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sea Life was an embarrassment tbh, tiny, dirty and expensive for a 15 minute run through, probably the worst aquarium in Europe tbh. I used to cringe at the thought of tourists spending an hour on the DART to get to that place and feeling mugged, better off gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Agreed... it was very much of the "Give us yer money and F... off, 'cause we will never see you again"

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

New wine bar due to open on Brennans Parade/Sidmonton Avenue..... (Used to be Creole, or for older people, Dannys)

Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Wonder how poor glovers who offer similar fare feel! think it's a duggans venture? looking forward to trying.

Advertisement