Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Democrats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I looked up the wrong Kildare constituency and ended up reading about their other TD's controversial tweets instead first. Pretty bad when both SF TDs in the country have a dodgy social media history. Given where they were at leading into that election they could have just been running them (and the likes of Violet-Ann Wynne) as gender quota candidates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Try gender quota and absolutely nobody else that would run for them for KN, I think.

Even picking a second candidate will be exceptionally difficult. They have nobody else here to run. Few elections ago they ran someone who was resident in NI just to have someone on the ballot. And the candidate before the current one has a drug dealing conviction so yeah, they won't be running him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Still can't see SD with FFG in the next Gov.

With FFG running at 35% by last Sunday's poll they'd be needing maybe 3 of the smaller lefty parties and a few independents.

Surely in that highly fractured scenario it makes sense for those smaller lefty parties to go with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

SF/FF will be the most solid govt option out there.

I think it will suit both parties as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But what does he care about his 'authority' now that he has handed over the taoiseach's job? This way doesn't he risk getting dragged out kicking and screaming in a heave which would be a terrible way to end his career if he was intending to stand down anyway ahead of the GE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MM would value the job of Foreign Affairs. It will also help him secure an EU opportunity after.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is seriously embarrassing stuff for Holly Cairns to be advertising clothes worth €1000 in the middle of a cost of living crisis. When she was elected leader I thought she was a serious credible politician.

I now have serious doubts about her credibility. Going by this article she's badly advised and going for everything cringeworthy imaginable.

The Irish AOC stuff, the thousand euro outfit, effectively advertising the thousand euro outfit, the ‘makeover’, the celebrity treatment, the looking for celeb endorsements.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's just a colour journalism piece, WTF?

"Journalism" with a bit of clothes advertising thrown in. Who is getting paid for the ads? Sindo? Cairns?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's fairly standard nowadays. Here Cillian Murphy, and we know he hates doing it, models a range of outfits and does the interview:

If you're worried she might have accepted money for doing it, I suggest you email her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I get that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Misstep from Holly Cairns having the prices displayed.

I think she's a superb politician but this is not a great look in a cost of living crisis.

Terry Pratchet

I presume she thought the free soft publicity would be fine. Unfortunate timing. She wouldn't have any control over editorial decisions.

She would have control over wearing the clothes for a fashion shoot or not.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

How is she a superb politician if she’s making such a misstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Holly Cairns hasn't been tested enough to declare her a 'superb' politician.

Today's newspaper piece will feed into the suspicion that she is in it for personal profile, and not from any deeply held convictions or sense of duty to the public good.

She also is the ultimate symbol of sexism in Irish politics.

Terry Pratchet

In what way is she the ultimate symbol of sexism in Irish politics?

• Advertisement

Her policy platform is no different to Catherine Murphy/Roisin Shortall but because she's younger and a bit of a looker, the media suddenly take interest.

It's all superficial, and reinforces the stereotype of what it takes to be get ahead as a female. Judging by today's expose, she's happy enough to play along.

Well no, she’s a new leader, relatively young.

Also the first time Soc Dems have had a single leader, of course she’s going to get interest from the media.

And last time I checked, Shortall and Murphy were both women as well.

I mean if you were to argue she was voted to be leader BECAUSE she was a woman, you might have a point, but she is head and shoulders above her male counterparts, tbf.

Ivana Bacik assumed leadership of a very similar party around the same time. A woman of immense intellect and with a track record on legislative reform. No big bounce for Labour. Not as appealing as our Holly.

She's a decent politician. I think she has been given very questionable advice in last few months. I really wouldn't say myself she is head and shoulders above Leo Varadkar or Micheal Martin.

Terry Pratchet

I meant her male party colleagues. The ones that would have been in the running for leadership

But Labour are poison and the party as it is needs to cease.

I speak as someone who voted labour all my life until Joan Burton destroyed the party.

Oh right

I'd agree on Gary Gannon but don't think I'd agree re Cian O'Callaghan. I'd put her and Cian at the same level. He hasn't got too much national spotlight but he is a very competent politician.

Terry Pratchet

Immense intelligence is overcooking it a little.

Labour are largely irrelevant nowadays. I dont see that changing as there are too many other parties jostling in their space.

Hopefully this little faux pas doesnt impact Holly's political rise.

There is a real opportunity for the Soc Dems to enter govt, supporting either FFG or FF/SF and we could see some genuine social policies delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

But she’s kryptonite for ordinary people, she’s the quintessential elitist intellectual

Advertisement