Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Miscreant

What? Chassis bulges? I had not heard about this issue. Anyone on here experienced it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

Some cars have a dip in the undertray, which MG have said is not a concern. Motor is in no way 'protruding'.

Poster is spouting nonsense, especially since Tesla was well known for build quality issues (getting better) and ironically their best built M3s came from China.

MG still aggressively pricing their MG4 €10k or more below equivalent Tesla and VW models, whatever the spec

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tesla don't have an equivalent offering to the MG4 yet, but it's certainly 10k lower than VW's ID.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭John arse

Think they are talking about the X power model @ around 40k equivalent to the model 3 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭crl84

the comparable Tesla Model3 is the Performance model (AWD, 3.3s for 0-100km/h), which is €54k. So about 10 grand more than the MG4 XPower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd love it if Tesla did offer a decent hatchback that was the same size as the MG4, but for sure the Model 3 isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I had a MG4 on order but had concerns about bootspace - bought a used Model 3 instead and the space is incredible compared to the MG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Tesla and MG can't be compared, regardless of price. ID3 is VW's budget offering, in line with the MG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I paid €33,450 for the excite long-range with grey metallic paint. At the time, I looked at Tesla and the purchase cash price was over €10k more for a basic Model 3 in grey. I know the Tesla model 3 is not comparable, but I was looking for something within my budget and the MG4 hit the mark as it was cheaper than the used cars on the market at the time (January).

When I did the math, it worked out cheaper to buy a new MG4 than to buy a second-hand diesel for around €16k. I didn't bother with PCP as I could get a credit union loan at 5.5% - I'm hoping to pay it off early which I couldn't do with PCP. I'm taking delivery in July and really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

1. New Tesla Model 3 SR is €40,300 currently. 57.5 kWh usable battery. 142 Wh/km real life efficiency. 405 km real life range. LFP non-flammable non-toxic long cycle battery. Supercharger network at low cost.
    2. MG4 Exclusive LR is €36,500 currently. 61.7 kWh usable battery. 171 Wh/km real life efficiency. 361 km real life range. NCM flammable toxic shorter cycle battery of questionable origin. No charging network.

If you're comparing the base trim that yes, that's much cheaper, but much less music for the money 😀

• Advertisement

Except I'm not. I cancelled my MG4 order because of it and other issues.

Every single MG4 I looked at at the botom either at dealers's or outside in the wild, at least here around Galway, had the undertray bulge. Not a good thing.

And yes, you can see the motor protruding from it. I have a photo of it. Should I post it?

"Not an issue" is a laughable, I'm sorry. It's ridiculous to have this kind of defect. And this is not a new car, it's been going on in China since 2021, the SAIC have had a plenty of time to sort out bulges and all sorts of issues like that.

Base model Tesla Model 3 SR is €42,990, not €40,300.

Those real life range figures are just ones you made up, as I can see plenty of people on mgevs getting more than that at the moment.

Under tray bulge happened on a small percentage of initial production run cars, and was due to the undertray being slightly too big, leading to a bend when it was fixed to the chassis. No practical/operational impact. Nothing to do with the motor, which was in the same spot no matter what. Isn't an issue in cars in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭John arse

After grant.

Those real life range figures are just ones you made up

No need to make up that I made them up (pun intended). Because I didn't. I used an authoritative source - https://ev-database.org/. Not some random blokes on youtube. Or you can check Bjorn Nylands real life tests.

Under tray bulge happened on a small percentage of initial production run cars

Right. That's why I saw them on all MG4s I optically checked myself so far. You know what I'm gonna go to the dealer's and check ALL fo them 😎

Isn't an issue in cars in recent months.

Right. That's why I saw it on a 231 parked in the Eye Cinema in Galway few weeks ago.

More on the buldge here at the MG forum.

Sayin that "it's nothing" is a pathetic excuse. The same with pointing at Tesla's mechanical issues (which ones?). Sorry.

Correct. It's indeed 40300 until 1st July when it might go up by 1500 as the grant reduces to 3500.

Let's see what Tesla do. They might not increase the price.

No, I wasn't. I was comparing Tesla Model 3 SR to MG4 LR Exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd rather a nice 2-3 year old car if my budget didn't allow new. My sister was looking at 3 year old Konas for €27-30k. It's a nice spec, power and range for the money.

Granted it's a smaller car so the Kona, MG4 and Model 3 all have different uses. For example I wouldn't fit my mountain bike in a Model 3 or Kona.

My biggest concern with a budget car would be the implementation of features. I drove an Opel and Peugeot extensively, all the spec on paper to match the likes of VW but then on the Opel you get stuff like the infotainment being tilted slightly upwards so it isn't visible in the sun or the Peugeot that has auto wipers that need to be manually switched on every time you get in the car and no sensitivity adjustment as they were too slow. I wouldn't trust newer versions of them with lane assist, park assist, ACC etc.

I'm seeing a few people on Reddit say they don't like the lane assist and ACC at all on the MG4, it sounds like they might not work as well as more expensive cars. Lots of phantom braking apparently and the lane assist overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Is that the lfp 50kWh MG4 or NCM 64kWh MG4, with the bulging?

That is a disgrace

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The first 232 reg I saw today was a MG4 Exclusive in grey. Well wear to the new owner.

It's a Trophy (see link below), so would have been the bigger one. The bulge has nothing to do with the battery though, it's due to the undertrays manufactured at one of 3 factories producing RHD MG4s misfitting/securing the trays, which meant that the undertray isn't fixed flat and flush to the underneath of the car. The tray is there to improve aerodynamics according to MG.

That photo isn't from Galway either, it's from someone in the UK who bought theirs last December, so would have been one of the very first RHD MG4s ever manufactured last summer/autumn: https://www.mgevs.com/threads/mg4-undertray-dip-bulge.7796/post-189454

• Advertisement

Seems to be lots of MG4s being collected from dealers in the last week and over the next 2 weeks from what people are saying on Facebook and mgevs. Quite a few seem to have got theirs recently. There was definitely at least one boatload full of them that arrived at the end of June. Possibly a second too, given the amount of people getting theirs.

Another boat due at the end of July too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭doctorg

When picking up the car, is there anything specifically to look out for on the MG, issue wise?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

Yeah, Exclusive is just touching €39k - so now way Xpower will be €40, but possible mid 40s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There is 5 ships, now that could be UK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭doctorg

did anyone that ordered before the April price increase get the new model with with rear wiper ? I was told only those after the price increase are getting the new model

Check that the 12v battery in the engine bay has had the terminals connected up. Apparently they are disconnected in transit on the ship, and some cars/dealers in the UK forgot to reconnect, which lead to the car seemingly being dead after about a week or so as the battery discharges, and doesn't get charged by the main motor.

Haven't seen mention of it with Irish ones, but worth a quick check when picking it up.

• Advertisement

Was told the same by dealer, but have seen some people on Facebook who got theirs from Cork and Limerick dealers that got the new ones despite ordering pre-price increase.

Seems to be a mix of old and new versions that arrived recently, and just luck if you happen to get a new facelift version despite ordering pre-price increase.

Advertisement