Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing BBC Channels on Free to Air box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I actually worked it out, but I found it laborious, but I probably did not do it the best way.

I now have Freesat, and the Saorview channels listed as they normally are - at least the important ones. I did not bother with the radio ones yet.

If I get a free week, I will try again.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

but I found it laborious

I think I gave you fair warning ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, I now have it working OK, but it is not easy to change from Saorview to Freesat. It is really clunky.

Is there a way to have both in one list?

Interesting thing about the new Samsung TV is that the remote has a solar panel on the back, and rechargeable batteries inside.

I was to remember to leave it exposed to the sunshine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Sorry I missed this thread,it would have maybe saved overlapping and repeating stuff.

The BBC freq changes also and Sky's response effectively Killed some SKy+HD boxes,and LNBs, as discussed here.

I did find it possible to get round this and keep Sky+ HD box going but it's been a torturous route and filled with many folk morphing into many other apparent faults,real and imagined..It did lead me to dig out my old FTA box which may be the best way forward without having to sign up for 18 months to get a "Free" Sky Q box and lnb.

The Sky+HD problems are maybe best left on the other thread as FTA can be considered a different path.

Worth noteing that the on screen display of No signal may have resulted in some paying for a Sky "Engineers " costly visit when it could be argued there actually is a sig, just one the box isn't seeing,the switch down to Sky.

Similar ploy perhaps as discuss on a thread when they moved CNN to the edge of frequencies resulting in loss of sig if dish alignment slightly off,but still a signal present on other channels. When Sky was called they insisted an engineering visit was required if display indicated no sig. As long as money can be made, the public may have to put up with all this.

Apart from the sensible folk in these parts who go straight to FTA.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

How can Sky kill a Lnb ?

Channels moving should be a network scan for new TPS and a rescan is it not.

Anyway, all sorted now. It took time plus a lot of learning.

Is there some reason why Freesat, and Saorview cannot co-exist on the one channel list?

Can Satellite and Saorview co-exist on one channel list?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Saorview (Freeview) and Freesat are two separate EPGs when TVs are in UK Country mode

Walker TVs can have One channel list, but that's Saorview & FTA (not Freesat)

Could I setup the TV to have Saorview and Satellite as a single list if I set the TV to Ireland location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

I seem to have lost BBC2.

Can anyone point me to the latest list of settings that would include that station?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a thread on the top of the front page that lists all the frequencies.

Any movement on channels will be seen here in RED for the latest movers.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

BBC Two HD England 10847 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two HD Wales 10818 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two HD NI 10773 H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

BBC Two SD 10803 H 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

Please note: BBC have not made any changes since last March. The next planned change is the ending of SD services in March 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi,

Just wondering if this is a fault on my part but I used to get the BBC and ITV channels via an old sky dish. Suddenly a few months all seem to vanish.

I bought a new lnb or whatever it's called, replaced the old one but is still blank.

Is this just the case of a re-tune from what I'm reading here ... I've no box downstairs so that used to get the BBC channels and ITV...

The BBCs changed in early March this year to allow for HD regional variations. I dont think ITV made any frequency changes this year. The last change to ITV was when ITV2, 3 and 4 HD went FTA last November.

If you are missing a lot of channels it could be water in the coax, the dish has moved or something (tree or shrub) blocking the dish's view of the sky.

This lists all the free channels a working dish can receive. https://en.kingofsat.net/tv.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Thread on this Sky+hd boxes dying or being killed?

You may have bought or been sold the wrong LNB. Modern ones are for Sky Q,and as discussed will not work with old sky+HD boxes,but there is a fix,as discussed also on the other thread.

Perhaps my old lnb does work but I may have been trying to get onto a BBC channel. I may put it back and try again.

There's no obstacles and I doubt the cable is wet. It looked fine.

Is there a guide of sorts to getting the right position for the dish. I used to have to move it slightly after heavy wind. But I stopped that by just tightening up all the screws.

Since the lack of BBC I was messing a bit with the dish. I now am not sure if it's pointing exactly right...I know there's a little bit of tolerance on it but I may be out of that range. Maybe it'll take a bit of trial and error....at least if I have it on an ITV station I'll know I guess.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Even a cheap satellite meter will help a lot in re-aligning a dish. Much, much more difficult to do so without a meter.

• Advertisement

If you are talking about a non subscription sky+hd box that was powered down,chances are it will not work again when powered up again.

This is because Sky changed stuff, and the box won't work,displaying no sign and initializing.

www.DishPointer.com Enter your address and select 28E Astra 2 as the satellite. You can drag the green dot to the exact location of your dish. Look for landmarks like a tree or neighbours chimney to help aim. As has been mentioned by Apogee, even a cheapo meter from your local DIY will help a lot. There will be a few seconds delay between any move you make and it showing on your TV. Only move a millimetre or so at a time.

Thanks a mill for that. I'll give it ago.

Perhaps there's an app for Android phone, like the spirit level I love!!lo

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why would you say that? Quite frankly it isnt true. I have a Sky+ HD box here since I left Sky 6 or 7 years ago and I had an older box that I give to a relation about 15 years ago and both are working fine for the FTA channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Don't reboot it

Ok, so I ended up putting back my old lnb and I use the other two channels on it, it's a quad lnb, just in case the others were faulty. Anyway magically it worked for me. So I did a re-tune but alas all channels you'd expect except BBC.... perhaps this lnb is perhaps not good enough for the new BBC channel, would this be correct. My lnb is about 16 years old, model J4LS, no other obvious marking or date.

So if anyone knows how to cajole BBC back with this lnb please let me know??

Cheers Richard

Can you get ITV1,2,3,4 in HD if so the LNB is working. BBC changed frequency in March have you tried to manually scan the new frequencies?

Full list of available FTA channels

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Right,

Thanks folks for all the help. I managed to add the transponders manually and all my BBC channels piped in. Re-tuned the TV and that was it

My wife will be glad to see Wimbledon 😜

• Advertisement

Advertisement