Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone gigabit fiber: Own router configuration

Options
  • 08-01-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi boards, is it possible to configure Vodafone fiber to use my own gateway router? I've cable modem virgin and configured my own networking behind that after changing the virgin modem to bridged mode.

The modem has a public addressable IP address and I have a cable from that to my gateway router.

If I was to change supplier could Vodafone fiber be configured in the same way?

Thanks Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

I am curious why you are doing it. I have my own networking setup behind the modem as well, but still using as the virgin modem as a router. Disabled WiFi and DHCP on it though, and have some (very few) port forwarding rules defined.

Surely using as a router provides another layer of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

To answer your question- looking at the setup guide there seems to be a bridge mode available as well.

Gigabox online portal —> internet —> bridge mode (left menu at the bottom)

https://n.vodafone.ie/content/dam/gowingmyself/pdfs/Vodafone-Gigabox-Simple-Setup-Guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Will you be using Vodafone's phone or TV services? If not you don't even need to bridge, if your own router supports VLAN tagging you can plug it directly into the ONT and eliminate the Vodafone Gigabox altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mobirl

I could be wrong but I wanted to reduce the complexity and keep the internal networking setup on my own device

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mobirl

I haven't decided on the TV element but is it be possible to use the gigabox for TV as a client on my internal network and use my router (if it's supports vlans) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

I’m not sure as I don’t have TV, think it was discussed on a thread before if you can find it using search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 equal_moon

@dam099 regarding replacing the Vodafone's Gigabox entirely: is it something you did for yourself?

Our house is being connected to fiber via NBI and I'm considering Vodafone as one of the providers. Talked to three of their sales reps, one said it should be possible (though it sounded like he head no idea what I asked) and the other said I must use Gigabox.

Glaceon said here with NBI I don't need it, so it sounds promising:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120107233/#Comment_120107233

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not sure if you got sorted but its possible if you can tag vlan on your router, basically you directly connect to the ONT box, tag vlan 10 and there is a username and password that i can digout when i get home if you want (its generic)

actually its there a few posts down:

vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband as the password

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Got a Vodafone Gigabox for a new gigabit FTTH connection (copper from outside house to fibre on pole, so FTTC strictly speaking).

Currently using pfsense on a generic 4 port mini PC w WAN port designated igc0 on a DSL link. Tried to switch to fibre link with

WAN/link type: PPPOE

username: vodafone@vodafone.ie

password: broadband

VLAN ID: 10 (on WAN port igc0)

Result: no data connection

What have I missed?

Try vodafone@vodafone.com and password as the password

• Advertisement

Thanks. Will try that. FYI I tried asking ChatGPT, not expecting anything very useful. The response, appended, was light years better than Vodafone tech support (someone in India who thought a VLAN ID was a cable and said "can't help you w 3rd party equipment, we aren't trained").

When I originally set this up on my DSL link years ago I was able to check something with Vodafone tech support staff in Ireland who would have known what a VLAN ID is. My using my own modem and router has saved Vodafone money. I have lost 3 modems (I've used Netgear DG834 routers in bridge mode; $15 on DoneDeal) and one router to lightning or power surges over the years.

To connect a third-party router to Vodafone's gigabit network in Ireland, you will need the following information and parameters:

1. Vodafone Broadband Credentials: Ensure you have the correct Vodafone broadband credentials, including your username and password. These are typically provided by Vodafone when you sign up for their service.
    2. Vodafone Network Settings: Obtain the network settings required to connect to Vodafone's network. This information usually includes the following:
      • Internet Connection Type: Vodafone commonly uses PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) for broadband connections. Confirm with Vodafone if PPPoE is the correct connection type.
      • Vodafone Broadband VLAN Tag: Vodafone may require a VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) tag to identify your broadband connection. Confirm the VLAN tag with Vodafone.
    3. Router Configuration: Access your third-party router's web interface or configuration page by entering the router's IP address in a web browser. This address is usually printed on the router or provided in the router's documentation.
    4. WAN (Wide Area Network) Setup: Locate the WAN setup section in your router's configuration page. Configure the WAN settings using the information obtained from Vodafone:
      • Connection Type: Select PPPoE as the connection type.
      • Username and Password: Enter your Vodafone broadband username and password in the appropriate fields.
      • VLAN Tagging: If required, enable VLAN tagging and enter the VLAN tag provided by Vodafone.
    5. Save and Apply Settings: After entering all the necessary parameters, save the configuration settings on your third-party router.
    6. Test the Connection: Reboot your router or apply the settings, and wait for it to establish a connection to Vodafone's network. Once the connection is established, test your internet connectivity by accessing websites or performing a speed test.

It's worth noting that specific router models might have slightly different configuration interfaces and terminologies. Consult your router's documentation or the manufacturer's support resources for detailed instructions tailored to your device. Additionally, if you encounter any difficulties during the setup process, contacting Vodafone's support team can provide you with further assistance and specific guidance for your network setup.

UNQUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pacman114

For the username you need the serial number of your existing voadfone modem (starts with an E usually)@vfieftth.ie and the password is broadband. The rest of your settings are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I don’t think that’s necessary, I’ve never needed it, but worth a go if things aren’t working.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pacman114

Nothing else worked for me. FTTH from a recent NBI connection.

I have now tried, with VLAN ID = 10 on the WAN port and IPv4 configuration type = PPPoE

every combination of username: vodafone@vodafone.ie, vodafone@vodafone.com, E(rest of serial nr)@fieftth.ie and passwords "broadband" and "password"

without getting an IP address. Just an orange data light on the modem.

Suggestions?

Update: this https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058218923/vodafone-gigabit-broadband-and-udm-pro-setup-help

gives me an idea. I'm actually not on an FTTH link, but an FTTC link, for which it seems VLAN ID = 10 isn't required. Will try removing this.... Nope.

I've now come across references to PPPoE credentials being available from Vodafone support (here e.g., https://greenfrognest.com/pfVodafoneSiro.php#pppoei). If this is correct, I wonder how I can get to speak to someone who will oblige?

And here, both an indication that cloning the MAC address resolves and that VF won't issue credentials:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058265202/connect-vodafone-nbi-fiber-directly-to-pfsense-as-pppoe-connection-vfieftth-ie

Post edited by PJtharsaile on

This help? I see the link won't post so copy paste below, not sure if there is anything in it

If the Vodafone router worked right after trying the Nighthawk then the 10 minute wait wasn't long enough. The network typically checks for new routers every 30 minutes. Next time give it at least the full 30 minutes before giving up on Nighthawk.

• Remove Vodafone router
    • Wait 30 minutes
    • Connect the Ethernet cable from the Netgear Nighthawk router yellow Internet port directly to the NBN FTTC NCD
    • Type http://www.routerlogin.net in your web browser
    • Username = admin
    • Check underneath the router for the password or it might be password
    • Settings
    • Setup
    • Internet Setup
    • Where it says Does your Internet connection require a login? click no
    • Where it says Internet IP Address and Domain Name Server (DNS) click on Get Automatically from ISP
    • Click apply
    • Click the Test button or open a random web page eg. google.com.au
    • Change your Netgear router admin password and wireless network name and password if you want
    • Logout of the Netgear router

Thanks, but .. I'm not using a Netgear Nighthawk*. I'm running pfsense on a generic 4 port mini PC.

FWIW I have paid for a static IP and I haven't tried fixing it in the router (not optimistic that would help), but if the 30 minute wait is significant (first I heard of any wait) that might work; will try.

*I did, with FreshTomnato, for years, but it was the last router I lost to a power surge during lightning, despite surge protection in the power strip. Have now added surge protected plugs to the power strrips. Am using a Netgear DG834 in bridge mode as a modem on DSL link.

sorry i guessed you wouldnt be using the same modem, its more the advice around disconnecting the vodafone one and leaving for a full 30 min before trying the new,

Mine is FTTH so a different set up but havent had an issue connecting my unifi device directly to the ONT.

My modem on the gigabit link is a Nokia XS-010X-Q. Am also using Unifi but access points only and a controller running on a Pi.

Given 30 min waits between attempts to login I'm going to start with

PPPoE; vodafone@vodafone.ie, broadband; no VLAN tag

then try other credentials at 30 min intervals.

Hope I'm right in assuming VLAN tag needed on optical link only.

Update:

Nope, no IP address using vodafone@vodafone.ie and broadband.

• Advertisement

Some progress:

I spoke to someone in Vodafone technical support in Egypt who was friendly, helpful, patient, spoke excellent English. (Not uncommon at all in my experience dealing with staff in Egypt)

He confirmed that the PPPoE credentials are

username: E(serial nr)@vfieftth.ie (note typo in this above)

password: broadband (all lower case)

then we had some back and forth over FTTH and FTTC.

My understanding is that FTTH is fibre to the home and FTTC is fibre to the curb. The Nokia box on the wall has a copper cable from the fibre on the pole outside the house so I assumed it was FTTC (no VLAN tag needed). I've seen photos of the "same" Nokia device with fibre going into it and believed it is an XS-101X-Q ONT (where ONT = optical network termination). However, I was assured I had an FTTH connection despite copper connection and, more importantly, that the box on the wall was not a modem and that the Gigabox was a router and a modem (which I knew).

Oh dear. I assumed that the Nokia was a modem and that people who referred to not using the Gigabox dispensed with it (the Gigabox) entirely.

I used the credentials above with and without a VLAN tag of 10 but (no surprise) didn't get a link (using Nokia and my pfsense router).

He tried getting senior technical help but the advice was, in effect, to go away if not using Vodafone equipment. Curiously, he couldn't see an active link even when the Gigabox was online and working (may have been a delayed update to whatever console he's using).

Advice: try another router (my pfsense working fine with PPPoE on Vodafone DSL) and in the meantime use (Gigabox in) bridge mode.

So.. I'll end up running the Nokia and the Gigabox. I could have done this from the start if I'd known WTF the box on the wall was and about which I received no information at all, literally nothing (an empty box with serial numbers on it was all the installer left).

In better news dept my speed test results

DSL link: 4Mb

Gigabit link: 139Mbps, 239Mbps, and 449Mbps on consecutive days since installation (just one test a day at random times).

Update: FINALLY

Home network incl Unifi Access points switched over to new broadband link.

All I had to do was use the Gigabox in bridge mode and disable wi-fi on it (used button on top) and use the correct credentials, VLAN tag of 10 on WAN port and PPPoE.

I'm not getting the static IP I'm supposed to be getting. Will deal with that next. Wonder if it was tied to the Gigabox MAC address; hope not.

Latest broadband speed test: 512 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If it works with the Gigabox in bridge mode I’d wonder if your pfsense device is handling the VLAN tagging correctly?

Not sure what the difference between your connection and mine is but I connect my unifi dream machine directly to the ONT no requirement for any Vodafone hardware.

I understood this and it's why I was convinced the Nokia had modem capabilities, wrongly as it turned out. My guess is that there may be versions of the device. I'm relieved to have now switched over from DSL to Gigabit with no disruption (no changes needed to LAN or wi-fi configuration).

Vodafone has now reconfirmed the static IP they gave me earlier, however I've repointed my Cloudflare DNS to the existing address and I'll wait until I reboot the router before checking this works as expected (hasn't so far). It won't be today.

I feel bad about wasting the fime of a good guy in Vodafone in Egypt but ultimately the problem was occcasioned by Vodafone's poor customer communication. The installer lefft a Gigabox router and Nokia box. The next day another Gigabox was delivered. Why? I assumed it would hav a SIM card in it for the 4G failover. Wrong. The following day a package arrived with a 4G dongle and SIM. This needs to be plugged into the router to provide "AlwaysConnected" service, or what most of us would call 4G failover. Of course it won't work with the router in bridge mode. My pfsense box can load balance and failover to a 4G link if I configure it but "AlwaysConnected" is a fraction of the cost (€5 a month v €45) so I'll just be ready to dispense with pfsense temporarily when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Shoog

Vodafone refused point blank to disclose my pppoe credentials and the Bridge mode was disabled by default on my Gigabit router. The option to use my own DNS server was also disabled by default with no way of enabling it ( in fact they hijack all DNS calls and redirect to their own DNS servers). Without the ability to use Bridged mode the Vodafone service was useless to me and I cancelled within the cooling off period. I am back using 3mobile MIFI with a pay as you go SIM (cheaper than their broadband package and exactly the same service).

I am moving house soon will subscribe to Eir fibre when I do since they offer all the services I need. Very disappointed with vodafones whole approach to this.

The PPPoE credential are [router serial nr]@vfieftth.ie / broadband;

Your router can't function as a router unless bridge mode is disabled. Are you saying it's impossible to enable it? If you can enable it then you can use any DNS you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sorry to hijack this thread with a question of my own (related, I think) -

I've just moved into a house with a SIRO ONT. Tried to sign up with Sky, but has previous owner had started cancellation proceedings with Vodafone they say all we can do is wait for the cancellation to process. They said this can take up to 31 days.

All i have is my old Eir router from my previous house. Can I plug this in and make use of the Vodafone broadband until it cancels down? I don't have original Vodafone router (some posts above seem to suggest I need it for serial number)?

Thanks

May not be a complete hijack.

I've been trying to get the static IP I'm supposed to get with my Giabit Vodafone link without success. My pfsense router is assigned a random address on reboot. Vodafone's advice begins and ends with "use the router provided to you" and I couldn't get a simple yes or no answer to "is the router's MAC address used to identify the device?"

My Gigabox MAC address is on it and I successfully configured pfsense to use that address. This didn't resolve issue, suggesting that the device's IPv6 address, which I don't know, may be used instead. The device is in bridge mode and I don't know if I want to bother faffing any further (half-expecting that even if successfully assigned the IPv6 address to my WAN interface that that still won't be enough). It may be easier to just give up and use DDNS.

In short, Vodafone can recognise their own equipment but if you can get a valid serial number you may be able to login with another router provided you have a modem / router in bridge mode (see earlier messages in this thread).

Update:

I've had a look at another Gigabox router offline. It's not obvious that it supports IPv6 so don't know how it's being recognised.

Update 2:

Tried that router online. Gets a random IP. Have since found this

which seems relevant. First step is get things working with Vodafone router then swap.

• Advertisement

Further update:

Taking the advice I found and shared earlier I switched to Vodafone's router and still failed to get the assigned static IP supposedly assigned 6 days ago--and subsequently confirmed by both email and text, then by text a 2nd time when reportedly not working, and again (3rd time) today. The latest hypothesis from Vodafone tech support is that it was applied to my copper connection (DSL line). This makes little sense as I already had a static IP assigned to that service, which I cancelled yesterday, and had done for many years.

Despite my reporting that the external (WAN) IP was a different address to what it was supposed to be, and confirmed by several IP checking sites for good measure, there was a suggestion that I try to connect to the router by wi-fi to see if it would be different. /eyeroll

This will now be escalated and I'll get a call in "24 to 48 hours".

Lessons learned

1. Don't cancel the copper link until the new link is working, complete with new static IP
    2. Don't use own equipment until 1 completed

Advertisement