Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone gigabit fiber: Own router configuration

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Following up after 48+ hours Vodafone now say "there is an issue" and it will take another "3 to 5 working days to resolve it".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 donogh5

Final edit: forgot the Orbi has its own speedtest feature (Ookla): 1801.46Mbps / 202.88Mbps. Happy with that !

Edit 3: Wifi caps out at 750Mbps / 202Mbps. LAN is hitting 930Mbps / 203Mbps. Will update again when I have better networking hardware. Very curious to see if Vodafone is actually supplying this "2Gbps" service.

Edit 2: I got it working with my Orbi RBK853. I used E<serial>@vfieftth.ie as the username and broadband as the password (PPPoE), as well as enabling VLAN ID 10 under VLAN / Bridge Settings. For good measure, I copied the Gigabox's MAC address.

No need for 30 minute waits, etc.; it worked as soon as the settings were correct.

For me, I think the difference is I have a Huawei OptiXstar EN8010Ts-20 on the wall, which is clearly acting as the modem (rather than the Nokia device). Of course, the RBK853 still doesn't have 2.5Gbps LAN ports, but at least the full 2Gbps is feeding into the wifi (Wifi 6 AX6000 on this device).

Edit: I read the thread again. Is the conclusion that it's impossible to use a replacement for the Gigabox?

Thanks for all the details re using own router. I am definitely going to try it.

I signed up for 2Gbps broadband with Vodafone and it was delivered with this "Gigabox" last week.

However, I just figured out that the LAN ports on the Gigabox max out at 1Gbps.

So there is literally no way to utilise a 2Gbps service without your own router. Why do they even sell it when their own hardware doesn't support it?!

I'm thinking about ordering a TP-Link Deco BE-95 from amazon.com (not available in Europe yet): https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-be95/ It seems to support VLAN tagging and it has 2x 10Gbps WAN/LAN ports and 2x 2.5Gbps.

Had already bought some QNAP 10Gbps/2.5Gbps switches [https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0974XNGJL] but they're completely useless because of the crappy LAN ports on the "Gigabox".

Post edited by donogh5 on

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

might seem like a dumb question, but, do you have anything that can use the 2Gb line?

On 13 July Vodafone indicated that they needed 3-5 days to resolve their failure to provide a working static IP with an NBI gigabit connection. As it happened I was away the following week and then decided to leave things another week or so before following up further.

I've now been in touch with Vodafone technical support yesterday and again today, again using Vodafone's router (Gigabox) not my own router. Vodafone remains unable to provide a working static IP. Each time I get told it's been done. Each time it simply isn't done, and yes I switched off the router for an hour each time before I tried to pick up a new address. Long story short, I have now been credited €10 for the inconvenience -- this has been going on for a month -- and I have been promised a phone call by a 2nd level escalation team which, surprise, is backlogged to the tune of 24 hours or more.

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only residential user with a requirement for a fixed IP and am disappointed and fed up that Vodafone offered a service they seem unable to implement.

I have, however, managed to get confirmation that the router's mac address is used for IP address reservation. I spoofed this with my pfsense box so it ought to have worked no differently from Vodafone's router. Meanwhile, Vodafone's router is back in bridge mode, and apart from the lack of a static IP the link is working OK.

A week later and I stll don't have a static IP from Vodafone.

The call from 2nd level support never came so I called again yesterday.

Technical staff indicate that everything needed has been done to activate the address (and now that it doesn't depend on a mac address) and suggest that the problem is with sales staff responsible for the order. The link was activated on 4 July with the static IP pre-ordered. Sales staff have activated two different IPs, last on 1st of August, and suggest the problem is with technical staff. First and second level support simply blamed my using my own router until I stopped doing so. I spent a long time on the phone yesterday, resetting the router and the NBI box on the wall and hearing "it's still showing the same session". And "there seems to be an issue". There was an issue last week too.

Meanwhile, Vodafone's router is back in bridge mode, and apart from the lack of a static IP the link is working OK, just without a static IP I ordered and am paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Nik

I have been using Asus router for about 6 years now , I have fiber conection with vodafone , vlan id = 10 username : broadband pasword :( router s/n)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I have been using my vodafone SIRO since install without their modem. Straight from ONT to my opnsense firewall.

Now trying to find method to get Vodafone TV working within this setup. Currently have ONT to switch with my own firewall and Vodafone Modem going at the same time, just so TV can work, but would rather not have that connected at all.

Would be nice if they would actually offer 2GB service. I know Blacknight will do it if you supply your own modem since. Head of SIRO said everywhere can get 2GB but ISP's dont offer it just do lack of modems with 2GB LAN. Pretty sure the ONTs are 1GB only as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭skstretch

Got this working with a TP Link Deco Xe75 Pro wanted the WiFi 6E.

ONT straight to Deco Xe75 Pro

Got it working once I used the serial number with a small e then serial number @vfieftth.ie. Put Vlan to 10 with priority as 1.

Dunno if priority 1 was best option though.

Getting over 900mb over the 6e WiFi to phone.

Other items getting 500mb in other rooms.

Do people know what the Vlan priority should be???

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gg3390

Did you manage to get sorted with your static ip and Vodafone NBI? - I’m going through the same ringer with them at the minute.

got fiber last Friday. Let them put their gigabox modem in first, then over weekend swooped it out and directly into pfsense from ont. all great until yesterday, when all just stopped dead. Actually kinda stopped - was missing Microsoft, HP and some others, but could get fine to most Irish sites. Rebooted pfsense wan connection and ever since then nothing.

Vodafone are blaming the modem, but even after swooping back to their modem direct still no sync.

never had these issues with Eir, or indeed until Friday my Vodafone adsl.

would be interested to hear how you ended up pjtharsaile

Advertisement