Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think happens after death?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

^ That would be how most Christians have explained their faith/journey to me too yes. That they are called upon to strive to live like Jesus but under the expectation that they will fail. They must strive towards being perfect even though they will be forever imperfect. Or as it was once put somewhat less complimentary: They are born sick, under the commandment to try to become well.

It is an expression of the idea of "The journey is the destination". A destination they are to understand they will never reach - but how they conduct themselves on the path is to be their judgement.

Not for me at all - but there are certainly some overlaps with my own life philosophy and approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

I didn't exist for 14 billion years, and wont exist for the remainder of the the life of the universe. That fact that I will exist for hopefully 80-90 years is a bonus.

From an individuals point of view your lifetime is eternity. Your own consciousness cannot conceive of its non-existence, so to your internal self, eternity is your conscious existence. Live it with no regrets.

Let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair

Deal out Jacks or better on a blanket by the stairs

I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past

And send me off to bed forevermore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

If you are certain as a Christian, as you state you are, that there is a future beyond death, then can can't also be hoping about your future beyond death and thus you are, to use your own logic, hopeless.

We can finally agree on something 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This word doesn't mean what you think it means. An afterlife is not the only thing to strive or hope for, I certainly wouldn't like the one described in many religions as it just sounds mind numbingly boring after awhile. I for one hope to both improve myself for as long as possible, and hopefully this will provide a knock on affect of improving humanity, even if only in a minute way. The fact that I don't think there is anything for me after death, does not take away my hope, my dreams, my ambition. I used to fear death, now it is just something to put in the back of my mind. I will fight tooth and nail when it comes for me if I can but a bit like my sporting career, I know what the outcome is. Doesn't stop me from winning a few battles before the war is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

As a matter of interest, if you don't follow any particular Christian religion, which version of the bible do you read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or by direct preaching from street corners or door to door

Annoying people in this way is all but certain to be counterproductive.

Always seems to be primarily about stroking the ego of the person doing it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Currently reading the Holman Christian standard bible. I tend to prefer translations rather than paraphrase versions.

The theory I was given - though I can not remember the source now - is that they are sent door to door so that people will treat them badly. And so they deepen the "Us against them" feeling inside their cult. Inside their cult they are loved and cared for and treated well. Then when they go door to door they see the outside world of people who treat them badly, rudely and slam doors in their faces.

So it is less about stroking their ego and more about strengthening the feeling that the world outside the safety of their cult is a hateful and unwelcoming place and there is no reason for them to ever want to leave to go there.

No idea how true it is but the idea affected me deeply. Now if such people come to my door I go out of my way to make them feel like the most welcome and well treated people in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,490 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, there are people who convert to christianity, but there are many who don’t, who never actually hear about christianity. If someone is born into a primitive tribe in deepest Amazonian jungle or deepest Borneo, with no contact with the outside world, do they not deserve a chance at eternal salvation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Indeed. I hope to knock off early from work today to go for a cycle. I further hope the weather remains pleasant.

• Advertisement

You see thats what makes us different . Your putting death to the back of your mind and burying the fear of it. You'll try fighting the inevitable. You should ask yourself why .

I look forward to it and will embrace it when the time comes. It means I see the face of the One who saved me and whom I love and serve.

It also means I'll put off this mortal body and put on an immortal one and know the fullness of the life I've begun to experience in this one.

You didn't read the last 2 words of what I wrote.

And yet there are countless accounts of people groups being converted without a "missionary"speaking to them. Jesus himself appearing and speaking to them.

The letter to the Romans gives a good explanation for what happens these groups who never heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s an awful pity that society as a whole have organised themselves around an after-life - Christians & Muslims especially - for me I think it lessens what we’ve got here on earth right now as being of something “second rate” - we obviously haven’t looked after the planet nor each other, often using religion and “in the name of god” to kill others and take over countries and all of that nonsense. At least the Hindus only focused on regeneration and reincarnation- actually a lot more believable and realistic.

I wonder if religion didn’t exist would we be worse off or better off? More caring or more ruthless?

I don’t believe in an afterlife simply because anything beyond death for me is totally incomprehensible - so I’m not going to worry about it. But all this talk of heaven and angels and what not- sorry, kids stories, the whole lot of it.

Your putting death to the back of your mind and burying the fear of it. You'll try fighting the inevitable. You should ask yourself why.

While death is most certainly inevitable, that doesn't imply fear of death is any more or less prevalent in religious or non-religious folks. My opinion is that religions that promise of an afterlife actually nurture and feed off a fear of death to a large degree. I could further argue that this promise has long being used and abused as a mechanism to control the masses who lead a meagre and impoverished life in the face of a tiny majority enjoying great wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd agree that being aware of our own mortality drove us to seek a greater meaning and a handy way to airbrush death.

Midlife and existential crises are uniquely human experiences.

16 chapters, over 7,000 words- could you be more specific please about where this is covered?

The difference being that I don't fear death nor put it to the back of my mind

As I said earlier, I don't do religion. It's doesn't work and never has. I love lost count the number of religious funerals I've been to where even days after death, the officiant is telling people we hope the red person will enter their eternal rest and be received into heaven.

I was also responding to a person who said they" feared death " and they are without any religious crutch .

Religious or non religious, the fear of death remains.

I don't fear death.

It will do you good to read it. A couple of hours and your done.

A fear of death is not easy to get rid of it seems. It is nearly hardwired into us I guess. But it is certainly something that can be attained. Many people do it by imagining the existence of an after life - so in one way or another they are dealing with the fear by convincing themselves it will never actually happen and it is not a thing. That option is not open to me - I simply do not even remotely believe there is a life after the current one. No one has shown me a single even tiny reason to think this might be true.

But there are certainly not religious ways to deal with and entirely remove a fear of death. Simply confronting the concept openly and honestly from a variety of angles and coming to terms with it works for some. Myself included. I simply do not fear the concept of death or being dead even a little bit.

This is not a case of repressing the fear or hiding it in the back of the mind or anything. The fear is simply completely and entirely absent.

I have wholly accepted it's inevitability and have entirely made peace with it. And at no point in that process did I have to believe anything without evidence or on "faith".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We are like goldfish in a bowl unaware of anything except a tiny glimmer of the universe we see. We can never see or understand the entirety of it.

So, there is definitely more going on than meets the eye.

Maybe it's a simulation.

Who knows.

Hopefully we get to find out and it's not terrifying.

It'd be a shame to waste all this time on boards.ie without there being something in the afterlife 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'm not afraid of death because there is nothing after it, imo.

Death is just the end. That doesn't make me hopeless either, nor do I put death to the back of my mind, it's just something I don't think about because I'm too busy enjoying my life.

Father Ted:

That's the great thing about Catholicism. It's so vague and no one really knows what it's about.

I don't think I fear death, though i'm somewhat concerned about the ravages of old age with dwindling physical, and even more so mental, faculties. I do also fear for the wellbeing of those I love and deeply mourn those I've loved and lost. To my mind this is at the very core of what it means to me to be human.

I do respect, and occasionally even admire, those who lead a good life in the firm belief of an afterlife, even though it is a belief that I don't share. That goes for people I know from a variety of belief systems.

Interesting you say you don't do religion. I would consider a stated position of being a follower of Jesus to be part of the Christian religious tradition even if they did not subscribe to any religious organisation. Christianity being a broad church and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,594 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Lurking on the forum"

It appeared on the trending list and I was curious.

As the lord said "you don't need to be a cyclist to go on the cycling forums"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I believe there is no such thing as reincarnation.

For there to be we'd need to reborn with a cognitive awareness / consciousness of all or at least something that went on in our previous life(s) ... ie.. "yeah I was called Joe Kenny.. I had a wife and 3 kids, i died at 76 from cancer at St James hospital, i was a carpenter for 47 years"....

Nobody has been reborn or reincarnated....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eternal life sounds terrible to me, sounded great when I was younger but I eventually would become bored and devoid of interest and direction. I mean, what's the point. I don't want to die but I don't want eternal life either.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

But seriously, where specifically is the consideration in your religion for those who know nothing about your religion? If there was something relevant, you'd have no difficulty giving a clear and specific answer, instead of the broad equivalent of 'google it'.

• Advertisement

I don't believe in reincarnation either. Suggest you read John's gospel chapter 3 for where it's initially mentioned by Jesus

It's also mentioned elsewhere in the new testament

Advertisement