Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think happens after death?

Options
  • 02-07-2023 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

**Mod note: If you've come to this thread as a new poster on the Christianity forum, please read and understand the forum charter before posting here. The rules on this forum are stricter than other more general forums and direct attacks on the Christian faith are not allowed and will be sanctioned. **

Sorry to be morbid, I had a discussion with a few friends this morning about this topics, and we all had different opinions on this.

We will all die someday and I don't think anyone is really ready for when that time comes but it is a part of life.

Post edited by smacl on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Nothingness.....just like before we were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ready for it? You will know nothing about it to have any after thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nothing after death. When you die you die.

This makes it all the more important to enjoy life to the full and appreciate all that's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

People always wonder whether there is a life after death.

However, let us not lose sight of the fact there is a life before death.

life is precious- enjoy and #bekind

a wise man once ssid every person has 2 lives.

the second life begins when you realise you have 1 life left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

For those who've known what is is to be born of God, it's a simple answer.

To be absent from the body ,is to be present with the Lord.

Often these times I have little or no belief in an afterlife, as I’ve seen so many negative things happen in my and others’ lives, I’ve seen others with little consolation, I’ve seen despair and hopelessness, but occasionally I get a short-lived renewed little bit of faith.

However I think it is not outside of the bounds of science that afterlife exists, although this may be wishful thinking that such a massive database we accumulate can be permanently wiped at the moment of death, albeit for writings and contributions we leave in sone sort of perpetuity.

I’ve developed a progressive illness, and I feel my mortality creeping upon me and it’s quite depressing and traumatic. We all get closer to death with each moment that passes, but when your world is closing in more by disability your destiny becomes much more visible.

I’m trying to find new meaning in life, and struggling very hard. I found it easier when I was younger and had hope. I’m half praying for more meaning to manifest, but then I lose hope and stop praying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You are dust and to dust you will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The thought of living in eternal bliss, paradise and peace, and being with all your friends and family, who've passed away over the years is a very nice thought. I hope it's true, but i have the feeling that death is like a dreamless sleep that you don't wake up from. It's a scary thought, but you won't be conscious to notice anything. We possibly could be reborn in another life.

We could have lived another life before, but have no memories of that previous life. The truth is that anyone who claims to know the answer is a total and utter bluffer. The only thing i know for certain that happens is that we'll either end up in a box, and that box will be covered with dirt and rocks, or we'll be cremated. Outside of that i haven't got a bulls notion about what happens!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not sure if you asked in the right forum OP, after all the Christian viewpoint is well known.

I'm an atheist and I expect nothing more than something akin to the switching off of a light bulb. I don't worry about dying, which after all is inevitable and could happen at any time. I worry about my loved ones and whether I've made sufficient provision for them for my possibly sudden, hopefully distant, but inevitable, death.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

There is a scene in Terminator 2 where they pull out the chip from the terminators skull. In that moment the machine powers down. It's inert. Is it dead? As soon as the chip is re-inserted, the machine comes back to life. It has the potential to remain 'alive' for 130 years on it's existing power supply. For me, so long as there is power aka life in the human body and the brain is functional. The individual remains. When these things are absent. That's it. We get one bite of the cherry. When it's gone. It's gone. The best we can hope for is to have people who actually care about us at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Me, I'm looking forward to it, as it's a once in a lifetime event, it's the longest thing you have to wait for in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The same thing as before you were born....nothingness. Circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I have a terminal illness and I definitely don't feel anywhere near ready to die😥

One thing that rings out in this thread is people's hopelessness.

Most people if they are honest fear death. Having lived their life to enter into the uncertainty of death.

As a Christian, I believe we can have a certainty. I live my life pleasing my Creator and await death to embrace it when it comes knowing I'll meet face to face the One who gave me purpose and who promises an eternity. Death isn't the end as some here think. We are eternal beings , having a spirit and soul which is eternal. When we cast off our mortality we will face our Creator. He won't be asking if we lived a good life or if we think we've done enough good things to at least balance the books.

He'll be looking to see if we believed in the One He sent. To see if we have His life dwelling in us. To see if there is anything in us that corresponds to Him.

That opportunity only comes in this life, were we have the opportunity to believe in Jesus , know His forgiveness and know the Love He has for us as our Creator.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. For me and many more like me.

Having faced the possibility of dying and not coming through heart surgery I can say there was no fear and no uncertainty about what would happen if I didn't wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't get why animals don't go to heaven. Maybe it's just full of animal murderers and torturers directly or indirectly ? Maybe they go somewhere else.

Oh I'm really cranky this evening. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Hopelessness rings out?

Weird observation.

Those not accepting there isn't a life ever after are full of hope for the one life we get, I know I certainly am and try to make every single day count.

If by "hopelessness" you mean an absence of hope that there is an afterlife then perhaps your observation is better expressed as a lack of desperation (for an after life) ringing out.

I recently had surgery with a risk of not coming out alive and as I was being prep'd and the anastatic being injected the last thought I had was one of satisfaction that if today was the day my lights went out I didn't have any regrets, I'd seen a lot of the world, have had (and continue to have) an interesting and fulfilling career and I've been lucky enough to find a life long partner with whom I've had two kids who are in college and well on the way to being well educated, interesting, inquisitive and respectful young adults.

Now I'm through that particular surgery I look forward every day to learning and doing new things regardless of whether it's as basic as the eternal fight to play better golf or learning new information I can apply in my job.

If I somehow thought there was a happy ever after I'd be more inclined to take my foot off the throttle and coast as I get older thinking all will be grand in the afterlife or next life (depending on which God you want to believe in) but being reconciled to there not being an afterlife means I'm determined to get the absolute max out of this one right up to the day I die which, if from a terminal illness of some sort, I'd like the option to choose for myself with the help of my family without such a caring act being illegal for them to do.

Being a follower of Jesus I can say my foot is more" on the throttle " than it ever was as I see the day of His appearing coming closer . This world is only a training ground for what's to come in eternity. If all you have is what youve achieved in this life, you've very little with it all being of no value to you once you're gone.

Not sure why you refer to "whichever God". You do realise the forum you're on ? 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very much my philosophy in life as well. Getting that bit older now, I consciously try to greet each day with expectation and savour what it brings. Similarly, I plan for the future so that it will bring happy events in the finite time remaining. Much as I might love an eternal life, to me at least, that does not lend any credibility to the notion that such a thing might exist. While I believe our consciousness is utterly extinguished when we die, I do believe a significant residue of who we were remains in the hearts and minds of those closest to us and continues to exert some influence on that basis. While we come from a culture that often over-emphasises the individual, we are also part of families and communities that will outlive us and remain so after death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Interesting to read all the responses by unbelievers to this thread - It makes me wonder what you are all doing lurking on this forum?

There was an interesting post by Nick Park (used to be a regular poster here) in his thought for the day (today) about Independence Day (and as he termed it - Dependence Day) and our freedom from death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6O439TCUuk (5 mins)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Interesting to read all the responses by unbelievers to this thread - It makes me wonder what you are all doing lurking on this forum?

Alas, being a moderator does involve the odd bit of lurking ;)

That aside, as another poster pointed out, it is a bit of an odd thread for the Christianity forum as the Christian belief on the matter is well understood. Not sure it would fare much better on the atheism forum. Possibly better suited to philosophy.

So much to unpack.

1. Every Christian I've ever engage with always sees the day of the Lord's appearance coming closer and they seem to get more and more certain (some would intpret as desperate for validation) the closer the day of their own mortality gets,
    2. Calling this world a training ground is an excuse for not making the most of your time on it in the vain hope you'll somehow get a better deal in a hoped for afterlife.
    3. Of course what you've achieved in this life is of no value to you once you're gone, how could it? When you're gone you're gone!! You have to enjoy and value it whilst you're here.
    4. I refer to "whichever God" because being on a particular thread does not erase the reality that throughout history and across the entire globe there are devout followers of Gods who sincerely believe there's is the one and only and all others are false Gods. I just believe in one less God than you 😉

Not lurking at all. Saw the OP on the main Boards list and thought it curious that someone in the Christian forum asking a question they must already have the answer to if they are a genuine member of the forum so assumed they were looking for responses from non Christians and hey presto!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is not Catholic teaching that animals dont got to heaven. It was simply a common opinion of Catholic theologians and they openly said they don't know. Check out the scholar Jimmy Akins thoughts for more information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdVVbI1OS0

Advertisement