Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think happens after death?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The alternative is eternal death while your spirit/ soul is conscious of its state

I'll narrow it down for you. Those without the law shall be judged as having not heard . Those who have the law and have heard shall be judged as having heard

Should make your reading a bit easier to find. You only need to read the first 8 chapters of Romans for the reference and context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But sure that's ridiculous!

basically, God or whoever, decides that people who have heard of him and believe in whatever he wants, can go to heaven, but people that have heard about him and don't believe, won't get to heaven. But people who have no idea about religion, God or anything like it get to go to heaven?

seems a bit judgy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If there is another James Bond movie, then I will believe in life after death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If there are sharks, crocodiles, hippos and dinosaurs in heaven, then I think I will take my chances in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I didn't know before I was born, and I doubt I'll know after I die. That is what I think.

What do you think? besides asking the OP what he thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I just asked, as mostly OP offers their own opinion on the subject to get the ball rolling. I was genuinely curious as I thought they might have had one to offer at the time. That's all.

I personally don't think about what happens after, but always interested about others views on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

But if consciousness is a function of the brain,

how can one be conscious of one's own state after death? In death all neuronal activity stops. The body decays into the basic chemical building blocks from which it is made.

You are dust and to dust you will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dickdasr1234

I come from a family that was steeped in religion as was the whole country at the time.

3/9 of us still believe.

Personally, at age 14/15, I began to question the morality of a religion based on fear.

And it is simply a question of belief.

If you believe there is a god, there is a god.

If you don't believe there is a god, there is no god.

There is no point in discussing anything with someone who subscribes to peasant myths from the Middle East of 2000 years.

I was going to say it beggars belief...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There is no point in discussing anything with someone who subscribes to peasant myths from the Middle East of 2000 years.

Mod warning: This is not a forum where you are allowed to openly attack the Christian belief system in this manner. Please read the forum charter before posting here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I sure did. Christians are absolutely certain there is an afterlife. If you are absolutely certain of something you can't at the same time be hoping its true.

Therefore, by your own logic, Christians are without hope and therefore hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There we go, I knew you were a Born Again Christian by the way you were writing. It's very easy to spot.

All these millenarian era Christian denominations, such as Born Agains, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses write and speak with an incredible amount of conviction and dare I say it, utter condescension and scoffing towards what anyone else thinks. Like they're part of a secret club.

We have another terms for such secret clubs you know, they're called 'cults'.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I don't know what happens after I die. I know what happens after other people die.

Some people believe in an afterlife but I won't be making any decisions in this life in the hope of being rewarded for them after death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Do people going to door to door are just about stroking ones ego? Did you say that about prochoice campaigners knocking on people door during the abortion vote?

The bible speaks of Christians as having this experience. If a person hasn't experienced what Jesus spoke about, they are not a Christian in the biblical sense of the word Christian.

Just because your parents are Christians doesn't automatically make the child one.

Likewise, the performance of a ritual on a baby or adult, doesn't make them a Christian.

I suggest you read the new testament to understand the definition of a Christian. The Apostles lived with Jesus 3 years. They still needed the experience demonstrated in Acts 2. The gentiles and Samaritans has the same experience as you read on in the book of Acts.

As for the word Christian. It was a derogatory and slanderous term used by the general population. The early church never referred to themselves as such.

As for secretive cult. We meet in a building on a main street and our doors are open to anyone who wants to come in and hear what's being said. Nothing secret about that.

As said, it's not a new phenomenon. Jesus spoke about it (John 3) . The old testament prophets spoke about it. Not sure why you think it's a modern idea. It's plainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Irrespective of belief beforehand, NDEs seem to have a common recurring theme of sudden peace and physical detachment occurring after death. The secularist rationalises this as a symptom of the nervous system shutting down while the Christian understands this as the separation of the soul/spirit from the physical body. At this point, secularism calls it quits but the Bible indicates that saved and unsaved individuals experience the following after death:

• immortality (guaranteed for saved, most likely - and unhappily - also for the unsaved)
    • transfer to a new location outside of this existence
    • self-awareness and retention of identity, personality, sensory ability and emotional experience
    • memory of life history and recognition of other individuals
    • passage of time / cause and effect proceeding similarly to now
    • permanent fellowship with or separation from Jesus accompanied by a positive or negative personal experience respectively

By implication, this existence is outside of a physical body until Jesus returns and the resurrection takes place. Eschatological views vary in detail but the broad Scriptural view is that after the resurrection, the saved will have perfect human bodies in perpetuity while the unsaved will face a very different outcome.

Some of this is drawn from what Jesus has to say about the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19 onwards, a quite frankly terrifying narrative (not a parable) about someone experiencing conscious torment in hell and the impossibility of any future relief, rescue or redemption. Literal hopelessness - and he's still there now. Horrifying - and best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. Because that had the obvious intent of informing people and getting the vote out to repeal the 8th amendment and it was very successful.

You'd have to be some lunatic to change your religion because someone happened to knock on your door. It hardly ever happens yet these eejits keep trying again and again.

The public preaching stuff is just performative, extremely annoying (nobody should be allowed use amplifiers in a public place, including buskers, imho)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

We meet in a building on a main street

So you are a member of a religion after all.

Life ain't always empty.

What makes you think that ?

The local GAA club meets at a venue as well as does the local ceolthas. I suppose they're religions by your definition.

Ridiculous comment but not surprising given your off mentioned position.

Really not sure why you bother coming into this forum. I suppose it strokes your ego, a bit like those who preach on the street.

Mod note: From the charter, we define Christian here as described below.

• 2. For the purposes of this board 'Christian' means broad assent to historic Christian belief such as is contained in the Apostles' Creed. Individual posters with other beliefs, however, are welcome.

Suggesting anyone else is not a Christian for any reason other than the above is not acceptable in this forum and also constitutes a breach of the charter. As has been said previously, Christianity is a broad church which contains many differing, and occasionally opposing, views and beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

So changing mind on social policy at the door is normal but changing your worldview isn't. You are talking in circles.

Mod note: Warned for breach of points 3 and 6 of charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Stumbled across this on the main page while checking my inbox...

I'm a firm believer that once I take my last breath and my heart beats it's last - that there is simply 'nothing'. The same 'nothing' that existed before/as I was conceived.

In fact, the idea that there is a white-bearded man in the sky waiting for us is, in MY opinion... utterly ridiculous.

And what if you're wrong?. I'm sure you couldn't be but what if your wrong

Canvassing is normal before every election and referendum and done by all sides, and all they want is that you take a few minutes on a specific day to vote, then they leave you alone.

People knocking on your door expecting you to turn your whole life upside down because they say so is rather different.

Life ain't always empty.

The use of the word "we" implies a congregation of some sort. I would call a congregation of people worshipping a god a religion, how would you define a religion?

This is not a forum exclusively for Christians, is that what you want? No other opinions allowed? Burn them at the virtual stake?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'll tell you what happens after death. You get a full time job(day in day out) and live in a high rise block of flats like Ballymun but on a scale that isn't seen on this planet as in there are tower blocks for miles in each direction from the one you live in. You will always have a job but you will never be rich.

Advertisement