Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Karnisovas has said the Bulls are planning for Lonzo to miss the whole year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jaysis…..that’s very bad news for him. I hate when injuries destroy careers.

Tim Bontemps made a great point on Windhorst’s podcast. He said the Suns should just have traded Paul for Poole and kept all the pick swaps (4) and picks (6) as well as Shamet and Goodwin. I completely agree.

I would expect a bounce back year from him next year. He played very well in some play off games, and he’s one year removed from DPOY. Put him with Jackson and that’s one hell of a defensive duo.

And that’s before you talk about the cultural impact he will have on that Memphis team. It’s a huge win for Memphis IMO.

I’m genuinely gutted it’s him who is gone outwards in that trade.

Leaky Black has signed a two way deal with the Hornets.

Thats my name of the year award for 2023/24 sorted.

• Advertisement

Apparenty over the cap teams who have no hope of getting under it are expected to be busy making trades this week.

The new CBA kicking in on July 1st severly limits over the cap teams from trading.

I thought Bertans was gunna be most embarassing salary dump for the Mavs to go backward in the draft.

But the Hawks trading Collins for Rudy Gay and a second round pick pushes it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is the kind of deal we are going to see a lot more of going forward with the harshness of the new CBA. Teams that are so desperate to salary dump to stay under the tax apron won't be as patient as in the past. Young teams can get better really fast by soaking up bad contracts. I love it.

The Porzingis deal is apparently $77m over two years. So each year of Porzingis is going to cost twice what a year of Smart would (Smart is “only” on $18m). Smart is clearly one of the most underpaid players in the league….I know he’s a victim of timing, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Dame talk is getting very tiring.

• Advertisement

Unless Portland fancy Lowry theres not much gunnna happen unless he does a Harden to force himself outta there.

Speaking of Harden apparently the Rockets are dropping their interest in him and and are instead using that money to sign Fred VanVleet and Dillon Brooks.

Harden actually took his player option but has requested to leave Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Free Agency starts at 11pm tonight.

Could be a lot of movement with the new CBA.

Be more trades to free up cap room aswell.

Duarte to Kings for picks gives the Pacers 36m in cap room.

I'll be surprised if some teams dont take Morris and Wright from the Wizards to be back up PG's.

And Harden seems to be destined to be a Clipper soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Jeff Van Gundy released by ESPN as part of cost savings, why couldn’t Jackson the door also!!! Van Gundy is actually decent, Jalen Rose left go also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Ridiculous contract that Van Vleet has gotten,He's not even worth half that.No wonder some of these teams never achieve anything when they've got idiots at the top of their organisation handing out contracts like that.

Good for Van Vleet. Get paid

I'm afraid I probably have to disagree on this being a bad move by Houston. They had a ton of money to spend, and Van Vleet brings shooting, flexibility to play off the ball, and he's still a decent on-man defender. He's also a professional and adds leadership and experience. That it's three years means it aligns with their window. Sure, he gets a bit more than he's strictly worth, but this addition will much improve Houston, and it's a far better fit in this context than Harden. Harden can't play off-ball, doesn't defend, and can be a troublesome locker-room presence.

They don't own their own 1st, and the one they have from Brrooklyn 1st is top 4 protected, so they didn't have the incentive to continue tanking either.

Post edited by LuckyLloyd on

That Kyrie contact is crazy. aa is FVV’s.

it’s a crazy league where FVV is now considered to be a max player.

The money has to be spent. Timing and leverage. I’ll never understand why this annoys people. The more the players make, the better.

Lots to unpack generally. Vincent and Prince good business for the Lakers - Rui maybe a bit rich but a reward for what he did in the playoffs. Denver and Miami had rough nights. Warriors get to finish the story and save a bunch of tax. Toronto are dead for some time. Suns got the best minimums they could have, you’d think. Kuzma took the money, good for him.

Dallas is tough. This may not work out at all. But it was what they would always do really, and hard to see how they could have paid less.

Interesting to see now whether Bucks can agree with Lopez and Lakers with Russell.

Probably missed loads - really really busy. Will be unpacking for a while

• Advertisement

The more players make the better is a nonsense argument

Player friendly media always seem to push this idea and think the fans should agree with them aswell but the more players make means the more the owners make which means the more it costs to watch the sports or buy merchandise, more adverts to be endured etc.The fans do not benefit in any way from players earning more.

This argument is lost in the CBA negotiations. Focusing on individual players as a source of ire is a fruitless endeavour.

But as it is, players will continue to earn more and more and more as the sport continues its significant commercial success. In this context, I'm happy for any player that maximises his situation and leverage. There is no game without their industry and talent. They deserve whatever success they create for themselves.

If you don't like it, cancel your NBA sub / Sky Sports sub.

I don't mind the players taking whatever they can for themselves but Van Vleet clearly isn't value for money with the contract he is on. Again as a pointed out before the fans of any sport don't benefit from higher player salaries so it doesn't make me feel any better when players get such big contracts.So your the more the players make the better argument is not true from a fans perspective of any sport, it's better for the players but no-one else.

Reggie Jackson's contract is the maddest from Day 1 imo.

Aaaaand Lillard requests the trade, hardly surprising and was kinda obvious that the Heat are very confident when they salary dumped Oladipo lastnight.

Duncan Robinson and Lowry probably seal the deal.

Lillard quitting also makes Grants new bumper contract odd.

Also the Lakers have now signed #8,#9,#10 from the 2019 draft, Reddish, Hachimura and Hayes.

As noted above, he improves Houston significantly, and to get him, they needed to offer that number. Making it over three years rather than four (which was predicted duration at a similar value in a few places) is in Houston's interest, given their cap space and current development track. So what's "value" in this context?

Lilliard finally says he wants out. He really should have come clean on his intentions earlier.

Russell signs for 2/37, seems like a reasonable price

Could potentially bring back Lonnie Walker IV now too

EDIT: Reaves confirmed, 4/56

Lakers are running it back, more or less. Vincent instead of Schroder is probably an upgrade on balance. I think they have enough to still do Lonnie Walker also.

Post edited by LuckyLloyd on

I’m going to sign with Klutch, that way I’ll be guaranteed to get a lakers deal.

it is utterly laughable what the lakers do to appease Klutch/Lebron.

• Advertisement

LaMelo gonna sign a five year $260 million deal according to Shams Charania.

Advertisement