Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah ffs. I’m pretty pissed now tbh. Smart is the heart and soul of that team.

A great signing for Memphis, but as a Boston fan I’m not happy about losing Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah I think the OG deal was a better deal.

But Celtics still get there man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Was wondering what you would think of it, I haven’t looked at it in depth yet but on the face of it, it’s really hard to say who came out on top, Smart wasn’t great last year to be fair but as you say he is the heart and soul, can’t quantify that, I love Perzingus but will he be healthy ? How will he fair out on defence ? Celtics need to look at that big time.

I feel like the Celtics needed something to change, who knows what it is but I accept that they needed to do something, Smart should do well on Memphis, I’ll probably hate him now 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Washington's Front Office is having a mare, surely they should be getting at least one of those FRPs

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They have no leverage in these situations. What are you going to do, hold Porzingis?

• Advertisement

They’re clearing the decks. They’ve already removed their 2 biggest financial outlays and with Kuzma and Paul most likely to follow that’ll be a third and fourth. And they’ve done this in a matter of days.

if I was a Wizards fan I would have little to complain about tbh. Yes, you could/should have gotten more picks, but they’ll prob have the worst record in the league next year as well as lots of cap space so overall it’s a win.

Oh something had to change but - and I’m being 100% serious here - I’d rather have lost Brown than Smart. You can’t quantify what Smart brings. Boston are weak mentally IMO and losing their toughest player mentally isn’t going to help that. He’s by all accounts the lost popular member of the dressing room too, you really have to wonder could they not have moved someone else. I get they were on the clock (Porzingis had to sign by midnight) but I think this is a bigger loss than the stats alone would indicate. :(

It’s conversely a great signing for Memphis. They need some maturity in that team and someone who is not afraid to hold guys accountable. Whether ja listens to him or shoots him will be the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

Just re KP’s personal contract situation. Would he not have been better off opting out and going into free agency and getting 3-4 year contract?

with his injury issues, this seems like a huge gamble to opt in.

with the new CBA etc. I’m not fully up to date so maybe I’m missing something that someone can clarify.

in short, yes. So you’d have to assume he’s on a promise from Boston. Slightly dangerous game to play but there’s so much nod/wink stuff that goes on nothing surprises me.

Porzingis is expected to tack on 2 more years when he becomes eligible. Plus he gets to join a contender rather than Rockets/Spurs/Raptors who have the cap room to actually sign him as a free agent.

• Advertisement

A lot of chatter in the last few hours that after all the specualtion the Hornets ARE taking Scoot at #2.

Portland are now actually fielding trade calls for Lillard rather than the #3 pick.

Wonder will Portland do a Wizards and just nuke things by morning or will they try to stick?

Yea, not like there isn’t a history of players getting promised something then thrown out the back door when not needed but also teams give players these dumb multi year contracts for tons of money, I could see that happening here, KP has a decent year, Celtics sign him to lucrative multi year deal and he gets injured and barely plays for a few years

Of course! It;'s the NBA - anything can happen.,

I'd assume he's on a promise and betting on himself. But it could all go horribly wrong. If he gets injured he's going to find it hard, but if he plays like he did last year and Boston have a good year he'll have more than Boston's wink wink offer I suspect to consider next year.

And BOOM

Chris Paul is a Warrior and Jordan Poole a Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seeya Poole, looooolllll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Tonight's draft worth the energy to try staying awake to watch ?

The Poole for CP3 trade has really got everyone talking here, I actually called it a few weeks ago and I was laughed at. It does make sense from a money savings point of view, it’s pretty much all about dumping Poole and it’s says a lot about what the Warriors think of him for them to trade for Chris Paul, he is one of the most hated players in the Bay Area, who knows if Paul will stay or be traded again but I can see him stay, use him off the bench, less minutes so he has a better chance of staying healthy then the Warriors have a lot more money next year to resign or sign players.

I do think the Warriors need 2 more players, a scorer like Poole and defensive big man, maybe the team will be more United now Poole is gone (the irony of saying that when you have CP3 coming in…lll)

Charlotte actually took Miller I can't believe it.

Scoot to Portland and now there's a huge decision to be made...

Washington trade up to the 7th pick to select Bilal Coulibaly...who was projected in the 20-30 range

He’s the youngest player in the draft at just turned 18……so I can see the logic here.

• Advertisement

Nope, I called this months ago. Not trying to be a dick, have you seen Miller play? He’s not a scrub.

It’s a tough watch and verrrrrrrrry drawn out. I say “no, it’s not worth it” as I watch it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Getting off Poole alone is a win. What do you have to lose after that? You get 50-ish games to see how he fits and then decide to keep him or not so next time zero risk for me.

The biggest question here will be chemistry imo. After all the things he’s said about Steph in particular and the Warriors it will be interesting to see how he fits, and whether they accept him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,995 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gotta say I'm not happy with the Porzingis deal. Smart is a huge loss and Brogdan has been excellent too.

I'd rather have Smart and Brogdon than Porzingis.

We have Rob Williams who looked ready to step in as a starter to me. Why do we need Porzingis? The Celtics needed to improve their bench and maybe add a more consistent shooting guard than Derek White.

Ouch.

The Mavs traded Bertans and the #10 pick to OKC to get the #12 in return.

Thats embarassing for Bertans.

Just from the outside, Smart is not as good as effective as these days as people might of expected at this point, Williams didn’t look ready to me, Porzingis is legit, but obviously he comes with sooo many problems, well mainly one, his health, and the Celtics need to fill the defensive void

• Registered Users Posts: 37,995 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you are telling me that one year removed from being defensive player of the year that Smart isn't good enough? I think you'll find that not many will agree with you. I'll give you that he didn't have his best year but he stepped it up in the playoffs.

As said above he was the heart and soul of the team and a fan favourite too. He had a very positive influence in the locker room by all accounts and was well liked by all the players.

And Brogdan was exceptional this past season.

Two big losses for an injury prone player. Not a chance I'd do that deal.

Celtics didn't need a starter, they needed to work on the depth of the bench.

As for Rob Williams, give him the same minutes as Bam Adebayo and he'd beat him for rebounds and blocks and be very close on ppg. That's based on his averages over his 21 minutes per game in the playoffs.

I just don’t think he is as good as some rate him, not saying he is bad, just ok in my opinion, I definitely could be wrong, if he is as good as you say and such a positive influence then it’s a strange move to trade him

Brogdon is still in Boston. Smart went to Grizzlies and Gallinari and Muscala went to Wizards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Advertisement