Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

Forget about Miami, is there ANY contender that could work a deal for Lillard, without undoing their previous work...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats down to Lillard and his shìte timing.

They cant really pivot to full rebuild now they are saddled with Grant on an expensive multi-year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Boston have most of their future FRPs, if they were to pair some of those up with say Jaylen Brown for Dame they'd be a better team.

Raptors could do something around Scottie Barnes and picks if they want to contend now with Dame/OG/Siakam.

I think ultimately it comes down to some sort of 3/4 team trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont know if it was a meme or fact but supposedly Brooklyn tried to get involved to try and take Herro but they were then offering Simmons which was then rejected by both Heat and Blazers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Wow, that’s a pretty nasty attitude, less hate might do you good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It‘s not nasty or hateful, it’s just matter of fact. Dame’s behaviour could be described as something akin to those adjectives, however. Trying to force a move like this under contract in this type of manner, where it essentially blackmails a franchise - that has paid you hundreds of millions of dollars - is not a good look. No thoughts on that?

The main stream medias reporting on Wembys first game is pretty toxic, they just couldn’t wait to talk crap, it’s the rookies first game, my god, people are so hateful and toxic, they would rather he fail than do good for the headlines

Yeah, it's been quite nasty alright.

This is exactly why I wanted him to end up at San Antonio. If he was with an inferior organisation, even after a couple of underwhelming Summer League games, things could spiral quite quickly.

With San Antonio they won't rush anything. I think they'll be happy with what they saw - they'll appreciate his passing, rim protection, shooting fundamentals (I know his % was appalling tonight but the mechanics are there).

Got bumped around a bit in the Hornets' paint but nothing experience and a bit of weight can't solve.

You said you want him to rot until his cough softens, seems a litttle nasty but whatever. I’ll admit Dame has fumbled a little but let’s be honest he has given Portland every opportunity through the years to make better moves, he has been a lot more loyal than most would be, no where near the likes of Harden, LeBron etc I don’t see him sitting out or anything like that, a lot of crap being thrown at him now, a lot of click bait nonsense

• Advertisement

If LeBron or Harden told their team they were happy to continue in a face to face meeting a week before FA, only to then demand a trade after the first 24 hours of FA you’d be apoplectic. If they then followed up with agents pressuring teams not to make offers, well I can only imagine the reaction here.

But Dame’s alright, a little fumble, no big deal. Thing is, Dame should have just asked out directly long before this point. Or negotiated a contract that gave him more flexibility, etc. To do what he’s doing now? Nah, it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I was wondering how long he'd carry on...

Wemby really struck gold.

Meanwhile, it seems the Bulls plans for Summer League is to keep Dalen Terry off the ball and honk up as many awful three point attempts as we can.

There's nothing more frustrating than an unrostered summer league point guard who just wants to shoot.

Was delighted to see Markquis Nowell impressing in his summer league debut. Odds seriously stacked against that dude but has the heart of a lion and an insane skill set. Would be some achievement for him to make real minutes in the NBA.

Obviously pops is one of the all time greats but that seems like a lot for someone that age. You can’t argue with his achievements but let’s not forget what players he had to work with, definitely the players and him complimented each other but they have struggled of late, obviously we know why and he should be given the respect he deserves but 5 years for 80 just seems like a lot, I am assuming they want Pop to nurture Wymby until he retires

Read speculation that this is a contract that can be fulfilled even if he's not coaching for the full 5 years, so maybe in a year or two he steps into a cushy Front Office role or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LeBron once again:

Once again showing his true colours.

This is up there with with previous comments like when he basically told Daryl Morey to STFU about the HK protests.

For LeBron, racism and discrimination only matters to him when he feels it affects him or other African Americans living in America. Asians and Muslims or indeed anyone outside America - you're on your own.

Sports-washing is now on the LeBron menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

anything described as 'cardiac arrest' sounds very serious. hopefully the young man is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

After the in and out season Jaylen just had there's no way I'd be paying him that money.

How much are they going to pay Jayson now? You can bet your bottom dollar he'll want a new deal now.

A super max extension should be for a truly elite first option. This seems like a mistake, and with the trade kicker it could be a difficult contract to trade out of later.

It's an overpay for sure, but their hands are tied as he could walk for nothing in 12 months if he didn't sign. No team can afford to let a player walk - you sign him and deal with the problem later. At least if you sign him you can get something back when/if you trade him. The fact they've put a trade kicker in here says to me that's in play.

It's also a timing issue and it's really only an overpay for 12 months until the new TV deal kicks in and these deals will be "normal", normal as in there'll be a lot of $300m deals.

On Tatum, it's already predicted his next deal will be $500m.

I say all of this as a Boston fan.

On a more macro level what's happening to salaries is becoming crazy on a number of levels. You're going to have teams with 2 max (sometimes 3) players making $50-60m per season, and then a load of guys on $1-5m (or a few up to $10). I'm not sure what that will do for chemistry. Bill Simmons talked about this a few months ago and talked about the guys in the middle will get squeezed as an unintended consequence of the new CBA and the new cap. We will definitely see some weird rosters and guys who would make say $20m now having to take $5m etc. It'll be extremes at both ends, with the middle getting squeezed.

Yes, that's awful for someone so young and someone you'd assume to be very fit. Health is obviously more important than basketball here, I wish him nothing but the best.

I spoke to a friend who is a cardiologist on the Bronny cardiac arrest story over the weekend.

She said it’s very rare but not unheard of for elite athletes of that age to get one. She said she’d do a bit of googling on the reports they came out and come back to me, which she did.

She said from what she read it’s on the lower end of seriousness judging by the short hospital stay, that being relative of course as everything cardiac-related is serious. She did also say you can’t trust media reports as being medically accurate - which is pretty obvious when you think about it.

I asked what are the long-term implications of something like this? I got the “were it my child, I wouldn’t let them play again” response, which I kind of expected.

It’ll be interesting to see how it develops.

I don’t know if any of you are old enough to remember or gave heard of Hank Gathers? It’s a cautionary tale.

In fairness, Gathers eschewed medical advice, didn’t turn up for appointments and didn’t take his meds. I seriously doubt Bronny and the people behind him would take that path.

• Advertisement

Oh I know, it was just a reference to a player dying. It was a different time too. Things have changed dramatically since then from a lot of perspectives.

I genuinely hope they do what’s best for his health and not let him play if there’s even a small chance of something bad happening - it’s not like he needs the money continuing playing and making the NBA would bring. I really just hope all parties do the right thing here either way.

Advertisement