Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,159 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the very likely outcome here is he discontinues his career and / or he’s off the radar from an NBA perspective. As in, he may get back on the court with USC over the next couple of years but he loses momentum in his development, etc.

But it will all come down to the identification of what happened to him and what the prognosis and risk factors are. Christian Erickson plays for Man Utd and Damar Hamlin is back in pads at Bills Training camp. So there is definitely a chance he resumes his career with minimal impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's been said that it wasn't very serious. There's every chance that after recovering he can go on to have a great career.

He'll have to work hard when he gets back to make up for the lost time.

In a lot of these cases there's been an issue that led to it that's now been eliminated or repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

13 years in the league and Harden is still adding new moves...to his bag of trade demand tactics

Bronny James has a congenital heart defect but is expected to return to basketball.

Great to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't been around for a few reasons but good news on Brony. I just hope the decision to return to play is the right one.

In other news, really enjoying the FIBA World Cup, a huge few days of shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I've been watching it myself, Serbia absolutely crushed Lithuania today with what is pretty much a b team. It makes me wonder what they will be able to do next year if they bring the big guns to the olympics.

Wouldn’t quite go so far as yo say it’s a B team but I get where you’re coming from.

I actually thought Serbia would beat them as they have so many match up advantages and they had enough size to more or less match the Lithuanian front line. Through in the psychological high to comedown after beating the US and the mental and physical effect that had on them and they were always likely to be vulnerable. It’s good news for the US though as Lithuania were the team most suited to beating the US and now they won’t see them again, Will be interesting to see how Serbia match up against the US if they meet.

in other news though I read that Borisa Simanic ultimately lost a kidney after taking an elbow in the game against South Sudan. That’s horrific. He’s only 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is losing a kidney a freak accident or has it happened to anyone else before now?

Yeah missing micic, lukic, poku, kalinic, smailagic and of Jokic, there's a few more I can't think of. To be fair Lithuania are also missing some players.

I think the U.S could struggle against Serbia as Milutinov is now the best big man left in the competition and they seriously had a difficult time with Valenciunas. That Milutinov has really impressed me actually and he would probably be a bigger name now if he hadn't wasted the last few years in Russia with the ban on Russian teams. What did you make of my Spain? We were **** offensively in the last quarter, don't know how much that was down to Canada's defense or Spain just playing bad.

Yeah I saw something about that player, did the Phillipine doctors screw up?

• Advertisement

Not sure if you’re taking the piss here or not….

Doesn't go into too much detail, says he had two operations - which is a bad sign in itself, and points to the first one must have gone wrong/been botched. Horrific for someone so young.

Spain have looked either very good or average when I’ve seen them play. They should never have been in the position they were in where it was lose or go home v Canada and yet despite being up 13 in the 4th somehow managed to blow that game too. They really missed Rubio’s calmness and leadership. Wouldn’t rule them out from medalling next year though as they still have huge talent and really are a “team”.

The one thing this tournament shows is that there’s (as I’ve long said) many international (mainly European) players who should be in the NBA. The talent pool is enormous. The final shoreline in the Montenegro US game doesn’t do it justice. That was a 4 point game with 3 minutes left to play. And that’s Montenegro,…a county of 600,000 people….

and then there’s this:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, genuine question. Some of the reports I read about it were a bit matter of fact, "it happened and now he's recovering", whereas I was expecting more of a "how the F does something like this even happen"? I've been told it happens in sports like boxing and mountain biking, but I don't know enough about basketball to know if it's ever happened before.

Lakers complete a very decent offseason by signing Christian woods for 2 / 5.7m

I'm a big Woods fan and that's a great deal on paper but... unsigned until now?

I suppose Lakers are the LeBron show and he can become another scapegoat

Canada just got beat by Serbia in the semi finals there. Delighted for Serbia as one of their players lost a kidney during the tournament. That avramovic has been an absolute dog for them on defense, even getting a few steals from Shai today. Bogie was good as always and Guduric was very good coming off the bench as well. As for Canada I felt they had a sense of entitlement just because they were all Nba players, I was like eh you're not the U.S. and you haven't done anything on the international stage.

Literally every podcast I’ve listened to in the last 48hours talking about a US v Canada Final. Ze Germans v Serbia instead.

lol.

The yanks have gone into meltdown mode online haha

It’s comical.

Had they played Serbia at some stage it’s likely they’d have lost to them too. Again I’ll say this for emphasis - this WC once again shows how many European (in particular) players not currently in the NBA should be.

Serbia over Germany in the final for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Fingers crossed. Bogdanovic is one of my favourite nba players. Would love to see him add a gold medal to his collection.

Has anyone any tips on buying tickets for nba games? Particularly Chicago bulls games?

ticketmaster (US) have tickets for every team’s home games (bar the Knicks).

Personally I prefer to have my tickets sorted before I go but you can almost always pick tickets up on the say too at the stadium, Chicago don’t sell out like they used to….unless it’s a big game/form team/Lakers etc. I assume you’re going to Chicago, right?

Like if you’re going to see Chicago Orlando on a Tuesday you’ll have no problem, Lakers on a Sat night is a different matter etc.

I ’ve more than once rocked up to a venue less than an hour or two before tip off and gotten seats for list price….even from touts.

I’m going to Knicks v Suns on Thanksgiving weekend but the tickets were $400+ each, which is crazy IMO…..but I still paid it. 🙄

PM me if you need more guidance.

I have to say with this world Latvian basketball has a new fan. Their style of play was so good to watch and they only lost to the German by 2 in the quarters. They were missing their 3 best players but they didn't let it effect them and during the course of the tournament they beat France, Spain, Brazil, Italy and Lithuania. That Grazulis was awesome and of course my favourite player of wc Zagars was playing amazing stuff, so smooth. Today he broke the wc record of assists with 17 assists and 0 turnovers. He has no team at the moment as well, I've a feeling there will be a lot of contract offers coming after this wc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seeing how SGA is doing I could see OKC suddenly bursting into the top end. They have such an insanely high potential young roster that once they click they'll take some beating.

US lose to Canada so don’t even medal. Fall out will be huge on this.

The problem they’ll have is they can’t pay everyone so some guys are going to get traded. Obvs. you keep SGA and Chet, but after that I’d imagine everyone is available. What I’d like to see is them packaging a few players and some of their eleventeen-thousand picks to get a star and compete that way. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them in the top half of the west this year.

if you’re the betting type, I’d take Chet as Rookie of the Year as SA will limit Wemby’s minutes and if Chet stays injury free he’ll have a very good shot at it.

Watched the full US v Germany game. Whilst Obst topped the scoring Schroder hit some absolutely clutch shots and drives and generally dominated the PG battle. He’s been outstanding in the tournament.

Daniel Theis was also excellent in the US game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OKC are insanely under the minimum salary for their actual core guys so dont see that as a problem, thats why they can stay such a dumping ground for dead contracts. Bertans, Gay and Oladipo were all expensive contracts dumped there this year by teams.

Yes, they are for the moment. The problem will be when those guys come off their rookie deals (Chet, Giddey, the Williams’ etc) as you can’t pay them all…..and 3 of those will want a max. Considering SGA is already on one and Dort is underpaid it won’t add up.

This is not me saying this, this has been well flagged by many.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, Germany in a bit of an upset beat Serbia. Schroder once again the star of the show……FIBA Schroder is something else.

Advertisement