Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy railway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And if you'd spent a fraction of the track investment , and a fraction of the annual subvention, you could probably offer a far faster coach service for free ,

I'm glad that the line speed is increasing , I'd hope they can speed it up further and possibly include new stops in limerick ( nearer to UL ,industrial areas or at least bus intersections ) ,

ultimately , Rail is about mass transit , not just providing an alternative to a coach travel , especially when there's a motorway shadowing the railway line ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the fact is the anual subvention and track upgrades are over all cheaper across the long term, due to the need to cut the use of road transport and increase the usage of rail, and avoid crippling carbon fines which are coming our way and will be felt by us all and they will be crippling, no doubt about it.

if there is demand for more bus services along the corridor the existing operators will provide them and there is no reason they and the rail line can't co-exist, they will ultimately as usage across both methods increase.

your constant want to replace rail with more coaches that would already be provided if people want them, and the use of coaches to get out of providing rail where it is needed, just is not workable in the modern era where ireland is facing crippling carbon fines.

we are going to have to invest more in the existing network and engage in some reopenings where possible whether people want it or not, as just chucking more road transport at the problem and simply burying heads in the sand is no longer tennable.

both road and rail services on corridors is the only option available, crippling carbon fines is not an option.

Post edited by end of the road on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

If the existing bus services don't already offer a faster alternative to every journey you can make on the railway, I don't see how you could get a bus service that does.

I often hear people say that rail is about mass transit, but trains can have advantages over buses other than higher capacity, such as a more scenic journey, which I think this railway has, and higher speed, which this railway has in some cases. I know that a railway is more expensive to run than a bus service, but I think it is worth this expense, even if the amount of people who use it could theoretically fit on a bus, if the railway has advantages over a bus, because it almost certainly means that plenty of people would prefer it.

This might mean that some people who leave their cars for the train would not leave their cars for a bus, and while I concede that I have no evidence that suggests that is the case, I haven't seen any evidence suggesting it isn’t the case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The line has been completely been relaid with CWR now following a lot of pressure from local people, press and politicians, so that argument is moot, and there is now demand from local people for more services. The railway won’t be closing.

LMATS envisages the rail service developing over time to a more realistic level.

And with due respect, you are far more likely to attract people out of their cars onto a rail service than a coach service, so the challenge now is to develop the service on the railway line.

I also wouldn't advocate retaining a railway if the largest amount of people who can be encouraged to use it is just 100 people a day, but I am fully certain that plenty more people than that could be encouraged to use this railway.

• Advertisement

You're right about it's not going to just disappear , because money has been spent on relaying the track ..

Rail that isn't mass transit isnt better for the environment than road .. it's probably much worse ..

More than future speed increases and manned crossing closures, I think they should be focusing on increasing journey generators , extra stations in limerick , and linking those stations with public transport / bike lanes to get to places in city once you' re there , it'd be a pisser to pass near plassy on the train have to get off in Colbert and have to trek back through the city to get to through the eastern side of town again ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I’d refer you again to LMATS which deals with the plans for the region.

If the service on the railway is improved, and very small trains are still run on it, I'd say that running the train would be better for the environment than everyone on the train travelling by car.

It probably is worse with the current amount of people using it, but like I've said lots of times, I reckon that can change.

A lot of them could travel by express coach , and coaches are a lot more flexible than trains ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Although to work well coaches too need infrastructure .. decent stops in the right areas , bus lanes where appropriate..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

clearly they couldn't, as they would be so already if it was the case and the services would be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Anecdotally passenger numbers have increased already. Not massively or anything but the NTCRP campaigns and the advertising of the track renewal project locally has been good advertising for the service.

Need either more gate keepers hired to facilitate additional services added to the timetable or the automation and demanning of the remaining gate keeper crossings to allow for extra services and to reduce annual running costs on the line.

Yes, but there are advantages that trains have over coaches, such as a more scenic journey and higher speed, like I said yesterday, and I definitely think that such advantages mean that a lot of people would still prefer the train.

Speeds won't be higher than a coach on the motorway ..

The advantage- as I see it -is the existing dedicated transport corridor in urban areas .. but if you can't get off in urban areas then what's the point ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

the motor way is only one part of the road network that the coach will use.

it will have to come off the motor way at a point or some points depending where it is going and even with bus lanes it will face disruption.

so it doesn't really matter as a whole what it's speeds are on the motor way because it will be caught elsewhere, such a speed will be a help certainly but there is a lot more to the equation to consider.

I know that the speed a coach can reach on motorways is higher than the speed a train can reach on the Nenagh line, but every time a coach stops in a town or village, it has to leave the motorway to enter the town or village, and this significantly slows it down.

It takes less time to get the train from Limerick to Castleconnell, or from Dublin to Roscrea, or from Dublin to Nenagh, than it takes to get a coach.

The train might still be slower than the coach for some journeys, but it's still faster for others.

And a much more pleasant experience, cheaper, not impacted by traffic congestion and can potentially be improved greatly with increased investment and upgrading the infrastructure / number of services operating on the line.

People have been banging on for over 20 years about bus corridors in towns along the M7. Never seen a single official proposal from anyone about it.

The bus options to Dublin are getting worse. X12 was completely cancelled pre pandemic.

National PT for Castleconnel, Birdhill, Nenagh, Cloughjordan and Roscrea is in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

According to a member of staff who works on the line, 22000 class trains will be rolled out on the nenagh line permanently in the coming months. If this is true, presumably these will be Portlaoise (TCD) based or the 2800s are leaving Limerick? Sad to see them go. Would be nice to see them refurbished with new seating and DMD displays, sockets, new paint scheme etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cant see why the 2800s would be going or how they could cover WRC. Maybe a local TD has asked then to use ICRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I heard this about the WRC too (including Limerick to Ennis) but was wondering how they would split the 22000s as easily as they do with the 2800s (both the first train to Galway and the first train to Ballybrophy from Limerick split). It would require 2 x 3car ICRS which seems excessive for these routes.

• Advertisement

the WRC being technically an inter city route would deserve ICRS over the nenagh branch.

2 3 cars might be a bit overkill but the 2800s are rattely noisy old heaps of rubbish that are fine for short journeys such as ennis but not the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the 2800s to 22000s. I guess it's more efficient to in terms of diesel and maintenance to roll out 22000s to the line. No doubt it will improve passenger numbers slightly, these people will be fooled though thinking its an upgrade. In saying that though, since I left Thurles last year for the Midlands, passenger numbers have grown along this line. Couple of times since November there was very few seats available Ballybrophy to Limerick

in fairness a 22000 is very much an upgrade, far from perfect but perfectly decent and that is what the average passenger wants.

personally i can't see a full roll out of them on the WRC anyway.

I think that people will be waiting a while for ICRs to arrive on the Nenagh branch. Someone somewhere has got the wrong end of the stick.

There are no spare ICR sets right now, given that they are testing the new intermediate cars, which means sets out of traffic.

they would actually be overkill for the nenagh branch anyway unless they reintroduce a direct dublin service which probably isn't likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Have direct services to Dublin ever been considered on this line?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

The track layout at Ballybrophy doesn't allow this. Really the only way the line will be a success is for the junction to be remodelled and some Limerick trains to become stoppers along the branch but those going to Limerick would have a slower journey.

there actually was a direct dublin service a few years ago but it stopped at every single station all the way to dublin i believe, meaning it took a ridiculous time and had little users not surprisingly and was discontinued quite quickly.

The fixation on needing direct services to/from Dublin is bizarre.

Frequency is what drives passenger numbers - improve the frequency and more people will use it.

Far better to take connections off Cork services at Ballybrophy and have a maximum one stop to/from Dublin.

• Advertisement

One thing that frustrates a lot of potential passengers on the Nenagh branch line (based on local survey results) is that Portlaoise is a stop on the morning timetable towards Dublin but not on the evening return journey towards Limerick. There are a lot of people on the Eastern end of the branch that work and drive to Portlaoise daily. Nenagh and Roscrea particularly.

There is also a morning stop at Newbridge which could give Nenagh branch passengers access to phoenix park tunnel services (I know the current timetable wouldnt suit this) but there is no evening stop at Newbridge on the evening timetable that branch passengers could intercept off PPT services on their return journey.

I really hope this is something that is looked at if they ever review the timetables. Prob wont but it would make the line more user friendly for passengers/commuters coming from the Nenagh branch line.

Advertisement