Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭POBox19

The Daily Mail reporting that Stockton Rush was selling the last two seats for $150k, but the guys son was apprehensive. Mr. Dawood took them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I know this is a human interest story, but I honestly don’t see the point in releasing the info about the son not really being pushed about making the dive, and only doing it to please his dad.

It really strikes me as the ultimate click bait headline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im not talking about an identical one, Im talking about an ROV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,833 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that it's perfectly viable that they tried to abort. Maybe they saw something on the instruments that indicated trouble or heard something.

No passenger submersible should be allowed to dive without an unmanned submersible present.

There was a previous incident of a submersible being caught on the Titanic's propeller & being guided out by a second craft.

Had an unmanned submersible been there, we would of known about the failure within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Yes the MIRs worked in tandem

I read a reference to one freeing the other stuck on the titanic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they'd still be dead. It was the "experimental" pressure vessel that failed (supposedly tested by Nasa and Boeing but that could be bullshit), not the much mocked Xbox controller or other cobbled together equipment.

If you haven't already watched it, the James Cameron interview further up the thread gives a very good summary of what the ocean exploration industry thought of this company and their sub. If they'd followed the well-established practises of the industry, this almost certainly wouldn't have happened, but then they'd have had to raise a lot more money to get started and it would have taken longer to build and test. "Fail Fast, Fail Often" is fine for building software, but not such a great approach when you're 4000m under the sea.

I feel terrible for the young lad who was on board, whether he wanted to be there or not. The others probably should have known better (in particular the experienced ocean researcher) and I have more sympathy for the dozens who drowned near the Canaries yesterday or the many more in Greece a couple of weeks ago; desperate people seeking a better life, not billionaires on an expensive excursion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭standardg60

Given some in the industry seem to know that it was ascending it would seem clear that the early warning system activated while still in communication with the mother ship.

They would also know how long it was from the initial warning to losing comms, so how long the occupants knew they were in a ticking time bomb, not a nice thought.

I think the crew of the mother ship had all the answers from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was just watching QI and there was a bit about diving and Jeremy Clarkson mentioned a time he stood on a giant clam while scuba diving and it closed over his foot and wouldn't let him go. Stephen Fry said "You know they say you shouldn't dive alone, you should have a partner with you". Jeremy says, "I did, my wife but she had buggered off somewhere".

If the implosion was caused by damage or wear to the titaan, having an ROV would not have prevented it. But after 2 hours of no radio comms, they could have sent the ROV down to where they were heading and probably it would have been quickly made clear what had happened, instead of the 4 day nightmare for their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

did you know Bob Ballard only found the titanic because he was searching for 2 downed sub in the area

only recently released info

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are many issues here.

-The unregulated nature of the enterprise. This was an experimental craft. I think once you start charging (no matter what the charge is) a person for something it absolutely NEEDs to have some regulation attached to it.

-The sales spiel that NASA and Boeing were involved - in order to give an air of professionalism to the venture. Both organisations have distanced themselves from these claims earlier this week.

-The premise that this site should be visited for a fee by people. While it is essentially a graveyard (and we all visit similar sites to it on the surface regularily) one would have to ask what is the scientific learning to be had from it nowadays - what more do/can people need to learn about it?

While the amount of craft available that can do this type of thing is limited and I'd suggest the same for the amount of people that want to do it, it brings up some serious questions for those involved in these types of operations.

• Advertisement

Not entirely true.

Yes, he was searching for Scorpion and Thresher, but they had an idea where they were anyway and the USN paid for that segment of the search. They still don't know what caused Scorpion to sink, and there was a certain amount of science that needed to be done to see the environmental impact of having 2 nuclear reactors sitting in broken hulls on the sea floor.

The search for Titanic was in conjunction with the French, and they needed to be excluded from the first part of the expedition, which was the search for the two USN subs

this is from the horses mouth

which bit isn't true? They paid for the entire US side of the search.

The french failed to find it despite 5 weeks of looking

i wasn't saying he found it by accident, if that's what you are implying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,178 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Don't think that's till the year 3000 so we have a ways to go yet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The french failed to find it despite 5 weeks of looking

i wasn't saying he found it by accident, if that's what you are implying

I just watched the Ballard doc on Youtube from when they went down in ALVIN for the first time, at the beginning they mention the initial find, whereby the French were given 80% of the search box to search in, and didn't find it, and then Ballards team took the other 20% of the search box, and found Titanic almost immediately (after they went looking for the subs)

I have also watched a few times over the years

i think the key thing is they changed how they searched also based on how the french search went and how the search for the subs had gone, was it luck who knows, he did reckon the french would never have found it using their method

The the french were using sonar and they were doing some sort of visual sweep looking not for the ship itself but the debris field

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Regarding charging for things. Prostitution and drugs are paid for and are unregulated.

If people want to knowingly get involved in a high risk unregulated enterprise that's their call.

It's like people earlier saying there will be an investigation. When I asked them who will be conducting these investigations they had no answers.

No need for taxpayers somewhere to be funding the regulation and investigations into this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The point being made is that if the same sort of resources were directed at the Greek tragedy more lives would have been saved. It certainly doesn't sit right with me.

Sorry but I have to completely disagree.

If the captain of that migrant ship had a crystal ball, and sent out a mayday 30 minutes before it actually sank/capsized, it still wouldn't have made a difference to how many lives were lost..

I read the book that the horse wrote, years ago.

And maybe i read it wrong, but i took it as you were implying he found it by accident. you say you weren't implying that, so lets virtually shake hands on a misunderstanding and move on

• Advertisement

James Cameron going into a little bit more detail on why the composite hull method is such a bad idea.

He's fully doing the media rounds now as he (& Bob Ballard) declined any media approaches up until yesterday. He says he heard through the grapevine on Monday that an implosion level event was recorded by the sub sea listening network, and that information added to what he had also heard about the sub (that both guidance & communication systems went down at the same time) he fully knew the crew were lost, and didn't want to be on the news saying as much while 'there was still hope' in the wider world, even though he and others were 100% sure it was all over...

The man knows what he's talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 19,814 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ROV's are very expensive and outside of militaries, not something you just happen to have lying around idle. You put them to work to earn back your investment.

The OMG, five people have died, hand-wringing blame game, is farsical. If this attitude were allowed to prevail in the 1920's, you wouldn't be able to get on a plane to go on holliday, as there wouldn't be any. The finger pointers and blame adjudicators would have rightfully concluded that flying is obviously dangerous and shouldn't be allowed. No one would have set foot on the moon.

And so on. That's just a few billionaires, if we stoop to mere millionaires like Colin McCrae, the list would be really long.

The people on the sub signed waivers to acknowledge they bore full responsibility for engaging in something that was potentially fatal. That should be the end of it. The main person behind the sub died on it.

Find out what went wrong, learn from it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Since when is Cameron an expert

He works in the movies and knows a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Personally I think he’s a preening idiot. What use is repeating gossip he’s heard on the grapevine? He has a lot of experience, no doubt, and will have picked up knowledge along the way. But he’s not an engineer and he has no place preaching about sub construction techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"The man knows what he's talking about"

Perhaps, shame about the aftertiming though.

He was the 3rd person in history to dive to Challenger Deep in 2012, the deepest part of the ocean on the planet (3 times deeper than Titanic sits), in a sub he helped to design and build, and the 1st person to go there solo. The previous visit was in 1960.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

He is an expert in deep sea exploration. In 2011 he became an Explorer in Residence with National Geographic. As part of "his role on March 7, 2012, he dived five miles deep to the bottom of the New Britain Trench with the Deepsea Challenger.[133] 19 days later, Cameron reached the Challenger Deep, the deepest part of the Mariana Trench.[134][135][136] He spent more than three hours exploring the ocean floor, becoming the first to accomplish the trip alone."

Link

He knows more than "a bit" and is a very accomplished man. From reading that link I've also discovered that he is part of the NASA Advisory Council. A man of many talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,814 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why is carbon fibre discredited? Cameron is entitled to his opinions but it's not an intrinsically bad idea just because he has reservations, otherewise engineers wouldn't be exploring their use in submarines and concluding they show promise:

Experimental and numerical analysis on suitability of S-Glass-Carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites for submarine hull

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214914722001313

I think there are good reasons to consider the use of CF in submarine hulls, such as lack of corrosion. The main potential problem would be penny pinching and not using enough of it or not using appropriate design and construction methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭standardg60

The Titan was exploring it's use and showing promise right up until last Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes,

It worked fine until it didn't.

But, for me, the key point is that experienced and knowlegeable people , who had urged caution and highlighted the risks, were ignored. EVEN ridiculed, to an extent.

Advertisement