Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭rrs

Murdock is a good player. He was impressive with the U20s this year. Faulkner and Pat Havern should be a good battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Meath absolutely annihilating Wexford and Limerick now in control against Laois so no surprises yet in the other QFs.

Limerick fook up in the backline puts Laois ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know which goals we are kicking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭benjy1000

Graham just go & take about 10 other lads with ya hi.

worst ever.

• Advertisement

Down deserving winners . Cavan were going through the motions at times, very little intensity. Paddy Lynch was obviously a loss and James Smith but been you'd expect more on home turf. Liam Kerr was excellent for Down. Oisin Brady kicked some good scores in first half but made a bad mistake in first half which resulted in a Down score. Down defended very well.

A shambles, there’s something badly wrong in the Cavan set up, this crack of playing lads who are clearly not fit is gone beyond a joke. Taking off a forward and bringing on Conor Moynagh yet again, you couldn’t make it up. There was only one team who wanted to win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Didn't get to see it but listened to it on northern sound

No big surprise though I thought we might have put in a little effort

Down sounded like a much better organised outfit

I'll be expecting an announcement fairly soon and probably the last time we'll see a few of those lads in cavan jerseys, some great servants

Laverty has Down well coached. they have improved a lot since the League game .Cavan have gone backwards since.

Maybe a few retirements. Ray Galligan and Martin Reilly. Good servants down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That was an awful awful showing.

We should grateful to the management for 2020,but it's time to end this shambles, they were taken asunder tactically by a manager whom showed innovation with kickout and player placement strategy, grouping everyone around the middle and breaking into space using their speed.

We had no idea how to break down their very good blanket defence, I suppose blanket defences are a new thing,so that's understandable right??

They also cut through us easily with pre planned coached set plays on a number of occasions.

There were some very good individual performances though in my opinion despite the overall shambles,

Oisin Kiernan was outstanding, he had to try do everything, including trying to mark the outstanding Liam Kerr. His kick passing was outstanding, he set up multiple marks with his accurate kicking.

Oisin Brady made a few bad mistakes, but he kicked some outrageous points and marks and showed some serious balls to attempt shots when others wouldn't.

Cian and Tiarnan Madden showed terrific workrate and effort carrying ball and each kicked great points.

Padraig Faulkner had a few defensive lapses, which cost us a few points but he drove forward brilliantly kicking two points and showing some leadership. He might have lost a yard of pace,but his engine is still outstanding, I think he needs to further out the field from now on.

Liam Kerr,Shealen Johnson and Ryan Johnson were too fast and athletic for our lads. Seeing Killian Clarke struggling to get near Murdock near the end,demonstrates that we need an injection of more athletic,faster players into the squad for next year.

We have an older than average, squad by intercounty standard and I fear that today is the end of the road for a few lads.

Our injury list this year has been ridiculous, I know our strength and conditioning team are highly rated,but questions have to be asked as to why we were missing so many players for each game.

• Advertisement

That was an awful awful showing.

We should grateful to the management for 2020,but it's time to end this shambles, they were taken asunder tactically by a manager whom showed innovation with kickout and player placement strategy, grouping everyone around the middle and breaking into space using their speed.

We had no idea how to break down their very good blanket defence, I suppose blanket defences are a new thing,so that's understandable right??

They also cut through us easily with pre planned coached set plays on a number of occasions.

There were some very good individual performances though in my opinion despite the overall shambles,

Oisin Kiernan was outstanding, he had to try do everything, including trying to mark the outstanding Liam Kerr. His kick passing was outstanding, he set up multiple marks with his accurate kicking.

Oisin Brady made a few bad mistakes, but he kicked some outrageous points and marks and showed some serious balls to attempt shots when others wouldn't.

Cian and Tiarnan Madden showed terrific workrate and effort carrying ball and each kicked great points.

Padraig Faulkner had a few defensive lapses, which cost us a few points but he drove forward brilliantly kicking two points and showing some leadership. He might have lost a yard of pace,but his engine is still outstanding, I think he needs to further out the field from now on.

Liam Kerr,Shealen Johnson and Ryan Johnson were too fast and athletic for our lads. Seeing Killian Clarke struggling to get near Murdock near the end,demonstrates that we need an injection of more athletic,faster players into the squad for next year.

We have an older than average, squad by intercounty standard and I fear that today is the end of the road for a few lads.

Our injury list this year has been ridiculous, I know our strength and conditioning team are highly rated,but questions have to be asked as to why we were missing so many players for each game.

Galligan, gunner, McKiernan, Marty reilly, moynagh will retire now surely, Oisin Kieran , killian clarke both 30 might not be to far behind them.

Faulkner, Gerry smith, Mcloughlin, coming up behind them.

james smith busy with his cabinet making, paddy lynch seemingly done the cruciate.

Could be 10 of todays team gone from panel next year.

Hardly any 20 years old coming through.

Things are bad, Bleak future ahead for the next while me thinks hi.

Lynch was out warming up before the match if my eyes can be trusted. Cruciate must not be fully gone?

You're correct though, a huge turnover in the squad is coming with our age profile.

The lads you named owe us nothing though,if they do call it a day they have been truly outstanding servants to Cavan football for longer than a decade.

Suppose to have been the hamstring which ruled Lynch out.

Underage Cavan have been poor for a good while. They made the Ulster u20 final last year, but hammered by Down the year before and a poor showing against Monaghan this year,

Down U20s hammered Cavan in 2021 . A good few would have been involved today

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0709/1234196-down-u20s-signal-intent-in-blitzing-cavan/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Tactically inept is the best way to describe today. It's like the down management looked at our previous games and devised a plan to beat us based on our weakensses. You know what our lads never seem to do. Exposed problems there for the last few years.

What kind of money is Ricey on I wonder. You would think since he was a key part of the development of the blanket defence he would have an idea how to beat it or even improve our defence. He hasn't done **** all.

The game was lost on line today, played right into Downs hands. When we went tight for their kick out a d forced them to kick it long we won good ball but too often left the short man open.

When we did manage to turnover the ball, we arsed about with it and let them set their defence.

Mistakes that cost us against Armagh not rectified at all.

I can't help feeling it's somewhat the end of an era. Many of those lads should call it a day now.

As for Mickey is he the man to rebuild the squad ?

I haven't seen too much club football this year due to work but surely there's some young lads coming through who would come onboard.

James the Miller, Matthew Smith from Ramor are two I'd be thinking although the Miller still on Oz and won't be back for the championship and young Smith still only 17.

As for a new manager who would you get again might be a bit of Ramor Bias but Michael McDermott would be good shout, plays a good style of football, has won I think five county titles and didn't do a bad job with Clare

County board will probably give the gig to Donohoe, & he will bring in Paul Fitz on the ticket, no stopping Cavan then with his knowledge 🙄

I see our friend over on Facebook,whom is always watching had a pop at Killian Clarke and Gearoid after the match, he might have edited it since,but enough people saw it. Absolutely no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Maybe himself and j mac should put their name in the hat the pair of gobsh1tes

To be fair to him, he put up a post this morning apologising to the two lads.

We do all be seriously pissed off after days like yesterday,but no player deserves to be targeted, after the effort they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well that was a very tough watch yesterday. A few thoughts.

• Down executed their game plan perfectly. They are an average enough team but have been well coached to defend aggressively in numbers and break with pace. They did that very well yesterday and were full value for the win.
    • I don't know what our game plan was to counter above. Its not like Down came with something unexpected. I could not make head nor tail out of it. McKiernan into FF for first 15 minutes and not one ball put into him. A half arsed press on the Down kick out which yielded maybe 1 turnover in the 1st half, exactly like in the league game. Then we let them have quite a lot of short kick outs, setting up some imaginary line of defence on their 45 which Down walked through at their ease and which in turn left our full back line very isolated. In fact, bar intercepting a couple of misplaced hand passes, did we actually turn Down over in the tackle once in the whole game? So basically we've no idea how to attack and conceded 1-17 against the most defensive team in Ireland. Oh and 4 points down, 37 minutes gone sub in Caoimhin McGovern - what is the point in that? That's on the management.
    • Our forwards are afraid to have a go and lack confidence, bar Oisin Brady who in fairness took shots on. Too afraid of what the bloody stats say versus winning the game - the only stat that really matters. Then we have the sight of forwards turning down shots only to pass the ball to the Full Back or even the keeper to have shots from 45 meters out. A serious lack of football intelligence. Faulkner got 2 points but took on 2/3 really idiotic shots.
    • We couldn't get level. As bad as we played we got back to 1 point on a number of occassions and incredibly stood off their resulting kick out and let them saunter up the field to go 2 ahead. I couldn't believe it. Who is making those calls or is it some pre-determined strategy when you get back to 1 stand off? It actually cost us the game.
    • As someone said above, we hear a lot about our S&C and how wonderful it is yet have you ever seen a panel with such an amount of injuries? A lot of lads on the field did not look championship fit too. Either S&C isnt right or lads arent doing the programs.
    • If I were to have one full time employee in the county in would be a sports psychologist. We are mentally very weak at all levels. Brutal defeats this year for our U20s (threw game away against Monaghan), Minors (threw away a big lead) and now seniors suffered 2 really poor home defeats.

• Advertisement

There was a chance of a goal in the first half had Gerry Smith taken a quick free, but he held on to the ball and waited for Ray Galligan to take the free, and it ended up Galligan didn't take the free. All too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I had been looking forward to a Meath Cavan final. It would have been good for the Tailteann competition to have a storied rivalry contest the final. But Cavan were very, very ordinary yesterday.

From the outside, it does look like a raft of retirements will happen in Cavan now, correct? Next years team will be largely unknown you'd expect- better than asking more of the same from the same few veterans however.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another gutless fail just like the Armagh match. Victories don't happen by chance, you have to work hard and make them happen.

Yeah that was desperate. Summed up the whole lethargic display. Think McKiernan missed the free then if I’m not mistaken.

Just as well we didn’t play Meath, losing to them would be unbearable.

The thing is we’ve a better team and better players than Meath. Meath, though, could win the Tailteann because there are days when they elevate themselves to above their actual level. We don’t seem to be able to do that unfortunately,

It’s very disappointing. I’ve said for a while now I don’t think the camp mood looked in order after the Armagh game & I stick by that.

We passed sideways, backwards and eventually got scores after maybe 5 minutes yesterday. Then you’d watch as Down waltzed down the pitch without a glove laid on them and slotted over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭celt262

If we were to play Meath next weekend would you have any confidence in us beating them?

Some here were saying the same about Armagh before we played them, i think you disagreed with that view but I don't think we can say that we are better than any team unless we go out and beat them on the field where it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I am not sure we will see a mass exodus. I felt that the Gunner interview was a goodbye note. I think he needed to be convinced to come back in and that sounded like a horrendous injury he got. Could have done with his intensity in the Armagh game. I thought Martin Reilly would sign off last year. I still think McKiernan could do a job at inter county level at full forward but that would require playing him there and playing the ball into him.

But in terms of our age profile, not many of the lads you mentioned above are going to improve at this stage. They've given a lot of service and could / should be part of the team for next year.

Even though i think it's time for change in management, there's a lot of younger players who can backbone that team for a good while: Paddy Lynch, Oisin Brady, the two Maddens, Carolan, Cian Reilly. You would hope James Smith is back next year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Nail on the head, and sadly for many of our "big" games that's been the case. There's games like the Tailteann final, the Armagh game and the Down match when I genuinely haven't a clue what our tactics are. For the last two years practically every single team (whether league or championship) have carved us open at will. We're far too easy to score against. Even London did it numerous times. You could possibly accept that if we were some kind of swashbuckling attacking team but we're neither one nor the other. Since McMenamin joined the coaching team I actually think our defensive structure has gotten worse.

Having played Down already how could we not have a plan to overcome that? This feels like 2016 all over again, I can't see this management team staying in place after that.

• Advertisement

Donegal with a makeshift management beat Monaghan at the weekend. Mickey Graham would have been one of the longest serving Inter County manager after Colm Collins and McGeeney. His experience was an advantage in Division 3 this year where thew was a few rookie managers. But the championship performances been very poor.

Advertisement