Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭mogue77

Any word of Gerry smith? He was very good v Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well done to the lads yesterday, was away for the weekend and listened to Northern Sound. Seemed like we played some good attacking football but prone to the odd balls up.

I can see Wexford beating Offaly who will have 2 players suspended. Fermanagh should come through as should Carlow. Longford are the type of team, if they are in the mood, that could trouble Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I put on Northern Sound when I was driving home and they mentioned him and Conor Madden being there in tracksuit tops. He must be injured. Jason McLoughlin was doing water boy so must be a bit away too.

Who were the three players doing sprints over in front of the terrace pre game?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Martin Reilly, McKenna, David Brady, Conor Madden, Conor Smith, Gerry Smith were all in the terrace in their tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Mc Kenna was one of them. He can’t be far off, surprised he wasn’t on the match day 26 on Saturday to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Looks like our home quarter final will be on Saturday 17th of June as 2 of the Sam group games are down for breffni on the Sunday

I prefer a Saturday game. I’d say we will be looking at an afternoon throw in but around 5 or 6 would be great.

The All County League must be on a couple of weeks break is it?

Looks like Offaly are going out of the Tailteann to Wexford which suits us - Offaly are a team we couldn’t draw but Wexford are a team we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rrs

Laois beating Fermanagh by 3 approaching half time, and Ryan Jones sent off

• Advertisement

Yeah it was. Though Fermanagh haven't been great in the Tailtean Cup.

Wexford scored 1-22 against Offaly with all their scores from play.

Our potential opponents are Carlow, Wexford or Down. I expect we’ll draw Down. The GAA won’t want potentially three Ulster teams in the last four so surely us or Antrim will get Down.

Draw is Monday on Radio 1 @ 8.30am; repeat pairings from groups avoided.

Meath v Carlow/Wexford/Laois

Antrim v Down/Carlow/Laois

Cavan v Down/Carlow/Wex

Limerick v Down/Wex/Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Down are odds-on to draw an Ulster team. That's not a conspiracy. That's basic probability.

They only have 3 potential pairings. 2 of them are Ulster teams.

We are as well get them in Breffni now at this stage...

I have heard a few people say that but Breffni would suit their game better than the wide open space of Croke Park.

You’re also going into two games in a row now so I’d take a Carlow or Wexford now and the option is there to utilise your bench a bit again ahead of a Croker game in two weeks.

Niall Carolan done his hamstring so we may not see him again depending on the severity.

As expected Down

Yep, no surprises. They seemed to struggle on Saturday for a good bit against a very poor Longford team. They will be massively up for this as they want revenge for the league game. We have to develop some plan to stop runners through the middle. Looking forward to this- any chance of an evening throw in for a change?

It should be a good test for Cavan. Down added a couple of the U20 players to the panel since the league.

When Cavan played them in the League a few of the kilcoo players had only been brought into the panel. They could be more to the speed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

If Cavan can’t beat Down in Breffni after having two weeks preparation then what’s the point. Even if they beat Down anything could happen after, really need to be winning this after the shambles in the final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A big test for our defensive credentials. We have leaked so many goals to poor opposition, now we are facing a decent Down side with a good goal scoring record.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭celt262

They are really taking the piss on the pricing for these games aswell. This competition looks like its all about filling the coffers. There is little enough interest in it and they are going to kill it off if they don't cop onto the pricing.

We could really do with Gerry Smith & Jason McLoughlin being back but I would say it will come for both too early.

In the League game, they went very defensive and tried to play on the counter but we pulled away at the end.

It will be interesting to see what their tactics are this time.

They couldn’t get promotion from Div 3 and lost to Meath so they aren’t the team people are building them up to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭mogue77

What happened Gerry?

Didn't get promotion but Conor Laverty has done decent in his first year as manager. Fermanagh got a late goal against Down which knocked them out of the promotion race.

They play the same the way as Kilcoo, flood defence and break with pace .

Its usually his hamstring. It’s the same with Niall Carolan - with great speed comes weak hamstrings unfortunately.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Celt says Conor Smith, Martin Reilly, Martin Reilly, Gerry Smith, and Jason all back training.

If we learned one thing from the Armagh game is that we need to start championship games with players who are fit and in form.

Carolan looked more like a hamstring strain than tear from where i was standing. If he's not fit, what are the options? Finnegan? I would nearly put the Holla in at corner back (he moved in there to replace Carolan) and start with McVeety at centre half and move Oisin Kieran to wing half.

Team named. Starting 15 listed as same as Offaly game.

Jason, Gerry Smith and McVeety listed on the bench.

If the three of them were fit they have to play but then only McVeety saw action two weeks ago and we don’t want another debacle like the Armagh game where clearly players who weren’t match fit were played.

Re your post above, I think Holla is wasted in the full backline. I’d prefer to see Killian Clarke back in there if needed, particularly against a better team than Offaly, and Holla up the pitch to run at defences.

• Advertisement

Clarke plays a key role in the middle to do the work that others don’t want to. Would imagine he will be there to curtail the runs of Murdock.

i agree the Holla is better out the pitch but his reading of the game against Offaly from full back meant he won the kick out that led to Boykans first goal.

Advertisement