Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake pt.2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

As someone who played through the original many times and really enjoyed playing through the remake part 1, I'll be picking this up. The trailer doesn't give away much but I like the direction they're taking with this series and the implications that it's not the same timeline. Keeps it somewhat fresh while paying an excellent homage to what was a classic in most people's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I enjoyed playing the original immensely, multiple times over.

I haven't played games since about 2002. I'm almost considering starting up again to play these remakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not as hyped as I was for part 1, will wait and see how it pans out. Don’t mind changing the story but wasn’t a fan of how they did it. I really hate bringing a surviving Zack back into it somehow as his death was pretty critical to Clouds development.

But the update to the combat was pretty great so I’d definitely consider it for that alone !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really hope they get rid of or at least dramatically improve on a lot of the tedious bullshit and horrible level design that dragged down Remake.

The story is going to be random nonsense and there's zero chance it won't be :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

1997 version is my favourite game. Enjoyed remake but if they fill it with bullshit ill be very upset. Wasnt sure on the ending of Part 1

• Advertisement

Yeah the level design wasn’t great but I guess for a lot of these areas they were looking to maintain accuracy to the original.

The implementation of the side quests was terrible. So I hope if the next one is going to be another linear game then they put the ability to fast travel between areas so I can do them whenever I want instead of being told “this is a chapter you can do some side quests in”.

Thinking about it now all the side quests were terrible anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they were maintaining accuracy to the original the dungeons would be 10 minutes long and not totally outstay their welcome. FFVII remake was a great 20 hour RPG ruined with padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Gotta feel like if they are doing a 3 part series of games that there is so many locations to visit in the next two parts that they don't need to do the excessive padding they did in Part1. Midgar is really only 10% of the original game so giving it 33% of the remake trilogy seems even more excessive.

But I do like the look of that environmental interaction. I think this could look stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, in theory, the next 2 games could move at quite a nice pace but with the story changing, who knows what they might leave out and add.

Reckon there’s loads of the original that will be left out now that they’ve changed the story.

Reckon at most we’ll see Kalm, Junon, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim and the Forgotten Capital. If they plan to make each area as detailed as Midgar I don’t think there’d be too much room for anything else.

• Advertisement

Def won't make everything as big as midgar, even in the original , the idea was midgar was the biggest urban area on the planet. But even if the villages end up as single zone hubs, it'd be a ballsy move to omit things that could be unexpected fan favourites. gonna be absolutely raging if they get rid of the ability to kick a football at Red in Costa del Sol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII is a relatively short RPG. There isn't a whole lot once you leave midgar. Junon and golden Saucer are the biggest cities. The rest are one screen villages and a few dungeons, many of which are revisited in Disc 2. Can definitely see them easily making 40 hour RPGs out of Disc 1 and 2 with substantial padding. The original FF7 is a 30-35 hour game when you know what you are doing and not grinding for superbosses or chocobo racing.

Recently finished the original including the optional weapon bosses and gold chocobo quest and was fairly surprised to see it clock in at 36 hours. I was sure I had a save file back on the ps1 of well over a hundred hours, what the hell did I spend my time doing??

As I said, the original is not a long game despite the back of the box promising 150 hours:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully they leave in the flash back sequence in Kalm, that was one of my favorite parts in the original game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

FF7 Remake is deep in Nomura territory now. I'd say the second two games will depart pretty radically from the original FF7 based on the narrative... choices of Remake. I'm sure familiar locations will pop up throughout... but I'd also imagine a lot of stuff will be cut or removed or completely changed. God knows what form places, characters or setpieces will show up in, if they show up at all.

They'll all have massive shoes and tonnes of zippers on their clothes

Cloud: "I'm not afraid anymore sephiroth. Because I know the lifestream isn't darkness, it's light! And if you come one step closer to me Aerith is going to give you such a friendship talk you'll wish you were dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I'll definitely get this but hype is dampened a bit after remake Volume 1. Lots and lots of padding (The Drum being the standout example, Christ) and I didn't have much love for the combat system, I hope they improve on that a bit.

Are we going to have a world map? Fly around in the Highwind? Somehow I doubt it..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Out 'early 2024' and on 2 **** disks! Looks unreal.

If the story’s half as good as the first part… it’ll still be incoherent gibberish 😝

• Advertisement

Looks like there is a "tag in" system in the combat now so folks can team up? Maybe inspired by the Yuffie/Sonon dynamic in the DLC?

I have to admit, the fact it's on 2 disks does harken back to my childhood where you felt you got value for money in an RPG once it spanned multiple disks :D

I'm looking forward to a bit of variety in the game landscapes so it's not all midgar!

Guarantee the story will be beyond bonkers though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some serious giggly moments from that trailer. Seeing the Sister Ray, Chocobo Billys farm, Elena. A lot from that made me happy.

Im betting this part will lead up to the DEATH of Aerith. She better die and they better not mess with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad to see we'll get the Kalm flashback, that was my favorite part in the original game.

Two discs! The first game dragged the arse out of itself enough and now it will be across two discs!

I can already feel my PC ssd groaning under the install size.

I do have to admit the whole 'two discs' thing is a strange flex in 2023. I mean, OK, but just a bit odd to flash as a sort of marketing point at the end of a trailer.

That said, if it ensures a fully playable game is available day one on disc(s) without the need for an internet connection (outside of optional patches) then that's a positive thing for archiving in an era when the trend is going the opposite direction. For FF7R's plethora of faults, I remember distinctly the PS4 version having far fewer - if any! - patches in the weeks after release compared to the majority of other AAA titles, which was refreshing.

During the PS3 era the lack of disc swapping was seen by the PS3 fanboys as something to push in the console wars.

Now it's nostalgic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,282 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I demand that the digital version be two separate downloads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

They gave nothing away in the trailer (just touching on the original story beats) which is good I suppose.

I dunno, maybe I’m getting more and more cynical as I grow older but still not too hyped for this. I still can’t bring myself to replay through the first installment, there was just way too much padding that a replay just wouldn’t be enjoyable.

Think I have remake fatigue at this point too. RE4R was meh and you just know MGS3R will be a soulless load of meh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Looking at the section of the trailer where Barret and Red are split up in mythril cave fighting some sort of rock monster, I fully expect this game to suffer from the same padding problems as the first one

I've sort of made my peace with this though, the combat system was so well thought out in the first one. A brilliant synthesis of action and turn based design. They got the characters right as well. Just a shame the story sacrifices so much of the great pacing of the original, but it's what it is I suppose.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've remake fatigue too but I think these games still sort of feel like such a departure from their originals that even if they aren't as good as the original, they feel sufficiently different and like a standalone series of games

• Advertisement

As great as the combat was, the level design, pacing and story (outside of some nice character work) were so extraordinarily terrible in part one that this'll really have to significantly improve on that front to get me interested again.

I do think that this is essentially as much a sequel of sorts as a remake though, given the nonsense directions the first game went 😅

Advertisement