Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 Y2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Great spin today on the 100. Really enjoyed the new route. Food stop in Laragh was well organised. Seemed to be good numbers around. Got home before it got too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

enjoyed that, granted I'll be hurting for a few days ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just home. Managed the 208.5km/3295 of climbing.

don’t think I’d do it again. They want you out by 7 and back by 6. Unlikely to happen for me. Arrived to an almost empty bray emmets.

Water was an issue tbey should have had a lot more. Got To the top of shah Elliot with nothing and their tanker ran out

enjoyed it if that’s the right phrase?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm going to feed back comments on the water situation. It may have been down to how hot it was, but it could be that hot any year. They should not be running out at the water stops. I handed out 18 litres at the start of Slieve Maan, and I reckon that if I had 2 x 20 Litre containers on open display I could easily have had enough takers. It would be easy enough for us to have some water at a dozen or so marshal locations - certainly for me with a jeep to bring it in, and I could have done another couple of drop offs on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did the 200 but had to curtail it to make finish in bray emmetts.we'd started with some people who were doing the 100 so slower pace and waiting to regroup meant we were under real pressure. Yeah it's turned into a different event, cut offs make it more challenging and essentially, you need to finish in 11 hours from a 7am start

On the water situation, I got to the top of slieve maan to an almost empty water butt "you should have gotten here earlier" was the reply was told there would be more water top of shay Elliott- there wasn't. thankfully filled mine in the glenmalure hotel. On an event like this it's unforgiveable not planning for extra water, particularly given how hot it was

Post edited by Pinch Flat on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

Great day on the bike here and I can't fault any of the organisation, food/water etc (or at least I had no issues here - I was able to get water at each stop and we topped up in Tinahely too).

Rolled out around 7.15 (delayed a bit with cars exiting M50) . Heading up towards Glencullen the temperature was warm and I was thinking this is gonna be a killer today but once we got higher it was nice and cool).

Saw the guy who feel on Sally Gap descent on a stretcher - hope he's ok. I heard from a few other cyclists they tried to close the road and divert prople on the 100k after this.

Overall tough in parts and felt a little wiped around Donard (briefly lost the group I was drafting but made it back). Surface around here was very poor and loads of lads fixing punctures on this stretch. Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot were tough and hot climbs. Fatigued around Varty reservoir but recovered soon after for an enjoyable last 25k into Bray. Got back in time for food around 5ish.

208k -3260m -24.6km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

This was my 4th time doing the WW200.

The marshalling was 100% top notch and the people at the food stops were 100%. The problem was there was no water and inadequate food.

No water was available between the two food stops. At the top of Slieve Mann the tank was empty. At the top of Shay Elliot there was no tank ! On such a hot day ,this lack of planning was totally unacceptable. People were totally dehydrated.

Food at the 2 food stops was sparse and poor. 

There was no food available at the club house at the finish. Very disappointing overall - when you pay a PREMIUM rate for such an event you expect basics such as WATER….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Hero! I grabbed one off ya. The heat on the climb was something else too!

[Edit: Misread] - Can't believe they ran out of water, I did see folks running there heads / washing at them, perhaps filling the bottles for riders will stop that kind of waste, but no excuses. It's dangerous, especially with the heat out there.

Stops were first rate - stewards were top notch.

Coke/7up/Coffee/Tea + Fruit + Water + Sandwiches / Rolls for Veg and Meat Eaters + Baked goods (cookies and some kind of sugary calorific thing!) Chicken Curry at the end and then the 20km spin back to Cabra! Would have loved a can of coke, but I couldn't see one anywhere.

If I was being fussy, it'd be good to have some electrolytes/gels but I understand that waste and litter is a massive issue; might be an idea to tell folks to bring some along, or maybe provide a handful with the race pack.

Only thing would be giving stewards big bottles of water in case of a hot day. Saw a lot of people burning matches left right and centre with little regard for how far (and tough) it'd be to get to the next stop.

Cars

Like me, almost everyone tried to get there 5 mins before the start! I was getting dropped so hopped out the top of J5 off the N11 and was able to roll straight on!

Road Etiquette

Overall great standard of riding, at least at the front end. No convoys of 4/5 riders across deep in conversation blocking up the road; safe descending, good steady climbing. I think from where the W100 rejoined in telling riders to stay left, in single file and allow cars to pass would be helpful - at that stage of the day it very much was shared roads (blissfully I think I counted 20 cars for the prior 7 hours). I got stuck behind about ten cars because one lads was essentially weaving side to side out in front in the centre of the lane the whole way up the last drag, I told him to cycle safely, leave space for the cars to pass too - he blew a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I marshalled at valleymount and there was plenty of food left including sandwichs, fruit cake, jellies and bars

it was a warm day and everyone seemed in good spirits at that stage, well done to all who took part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was marshalling the 100 just outside Roundwood. Most seemed in good spirits, only issue was a few totally ignoring "Stop there's cars" and barrelling through the junction! Seemed to be a few looking for water, even though they had full bottles, and if you were that desperate you had just come through a village* (I don't know whether the container was at the triangle at that stage or a late extra - I didn't pass it until well after my shift)

I was coming back from Enniskerry after 5, and was surprised how many still only at Roundwood. They certainly weren't making a 6pm cut off, particularly those in the queue for the chipper!

*should be enough water etc etc, but still everyone's an adult!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was there no food at the club house or had it gone by the time you got there? Given i got there so late I assuemd it was just packed away

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Had only done 400km cycling this year but went for the 200.. well it was as bloody hard to say the least. Did it with my dad who is soon to be 70.. was great to see him get the medal at the end.

Loved the DJ at the second food stop. Cheered me right up.

Did not love the no water situation at the top of Slieve Mann.. "everyone's an adult" last poster.. well that's a load of bollocks. Should be enough water for one bottle per rider. You know how many have registered. Simple maths. Best pint of coke I've ever had in glenmalure hotel to compensate.

Food was grand. Not sure what else you'd want really?

Some of the surfaces were very bad.. perhaps too bad to be included?

Saw both the accident at the gap and after Shay (or was is Mann) anyway hope they're both ok.

We definitely arrived in well after cut off but thankful there were still medals being handed out.

Probably won't do it again next year. 4th time already.

Post edited by ILIKEFOOD on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My comment was in the context that I was only a couple of km from the village - not excusing no water at the top of the climbs. I don't know whether a lot on the 100 skipped the food stop in laragh?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The heat was something else but the feckin flies were worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ulick

First time doing the 200 and overall it was well run and marshalled. No coke/fanta at Laragh when we got there but that's a first world problem.

We left just after 6am and got back to Bray at 17.15 so would have been under pressure to make the finish in time if we hadn't done that.

I ate a ton of flies.. and after my glasses broke I had three floating around my left eye 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

They definitely could do with another water stop or two on the route. I must complete the feedback survey and say that. There was loads of food and drink at Valleymount and Laragh when I got there. I thought it was really well organized. I wouldnt be keen on cycling that boreen from Hollywood to Donard again. It was quite dangerous with the road surface and the amount of cyclists coming through

You could see cartoon stink lines coming off us!

On a more positve note, looking at the ride on Garmin and my FTP went from 190 to 240 yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Did the 208km, about 8:20 moving time. had done very little training this year, so kept it out of the red zone all day.

last time I did it was 2016, this time there was another 800m+ of climbing according to my Garmin!

Well organised, very well marshalled.

However, I seriously doubt I'd ever do it again. That road surface is just appalling. Why would I want 8hrs of feeling like I'm riding a jack hammer? This was with 80 psi and a bike with a ton of vibration reducing features.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you stop at the start of the Slieve Maan climb to wait for your dad? If so that's where I was marshalling (and telling everyone it's only 3km and only 12% - I also pointed at the "Location 59" sign and informed riders only 100 to go.....😁)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 10 otnemem

Did the W200. Initial plan was to do the 150, being quite comfortable in 100K granfondos nd seeing how much more elevation this year's W200 was. Saw the price also significantly increasing compared to last year but figured it would be worth it anyway.

Road etiquette was good for the vast majority, but there were a few couples that thought taking the whole road (i.e. both feckin' lanes!) was acceptable. I'll also echo other posters re not letting cars through, especially in descents, worsened by me yelling "LET THE CARS THROUGH" and them ignoring it and zig-zagging all the way down. Certainly it should be obvious that it's in everybody's best interest to not hold up cars amongst cyclists...but I guess not, since I saw it happen three times after the Shay.

Marshalling was great except that there were a few intersections in the last 50K that had no one there. Fortunately I don't think there were any incidents.

Saw quite a few ladies that I assume are "just" club riders at the most absolutely smashing Slieve Mann and the Shay Elliot. Easily 300W FTPs. Absolutely brilliant to see 🤟

Food stops were a bit poor, I thought. No energy bars, no gels, no sports drinks - electrolytes can avoid cases of bad hyponatremia in events like this, especially if it's warm. It's probably fine if you're doing it casually, but doing a hard 200? Also witnessed them throwing boxes full of perfectly good cake (not sure what type) straight in the bin in what I assume was them packing up in Valleymount. Surely food shelters or the like would gladly take it?

Some stretches had really bad road conditions. I'm running tubeless and I'm 100% sure that saved me from a few pinch flats and one pothole coming into a heavy tree area (sun to shade) nearly F'ed my front rim. A few other areas had heavy gravel allover - I was going quite well and had a clear view so was able to warn a few that were on my wheel that readily yelled GRAVEL to the back as well, but a sign would've been most welcome.

Water running out after the Shay was absolute BS. Unacceptable and amateur hour. Saw them filling only ¾ of one of two bottles for a fella who came up behind me. Everyone had access to the same weather forecast - overcast or not, with or without patches of rain, it was going to be a very warm day. Extra water (or even extra water stops) would be tweak nr 1 for any organization paying attention.

Cut off time after the Sally Gap was ridiculous. It was a badly designed cut off, so early in a 200K event. 09h10 and they were suggesting (more like pressuring) everyone to take the 100 route. Saw a few club groups shrugging it and heading straight to the 100 route, but having paid more than 100€ in total and only being able to start at 07h40 I said feck it. The guard tried to block me "No, you can't, it's already closed." (as if the roads weren't open - LOL). Guess it's too much to ask a guard working there to know what's happening. Clipped in and pedaled away.

All in all, have no plans to do it again. One and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

All the left over food in Valleymount was loaded in a van and brought to one of the other food stops so no idea what boxes of perfectly good cake you saw going in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Reading through this thread I’m not sure what people want at food stops - full blown menus? Boxes of free sports nutrition products? The expectations of some are way beyond realistic.

If you commit to a 100/200 sportive for me the onus is on the participants to prepare properly with enough food to cover energy expenditure on the day.

The hot temperatures likely contributed to over consumption of water by those at the stops first.

Over consumoption? Nesscarry more like it. People werent chugging water for the sake of it

ha yes that was myself and my dad (in the yellow KAS jersey). You were very encouraging :) and to be fair you had water on hand too. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Some do & guzzle as opposed to steady consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Absolutely not ... if I've committed to a 200k sportive, taking 7-8 hours, and they have committed to supply food and water, then that is part of my plan. It's not an Audax.

Advertisement