Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 Y2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

It has nothing to do with the club, we have our own sportive later in the year on similar roads and at a quarter of the price. The W200 is an IVCA gig. At €85 it's a total rip off if you ask me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is not €85: it is over €103 as there are charges and everyone needs to take out insurance even if they already hold insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was looking to do my first event of this type ...so kinda was committed to paying whatever...but to be honest it is a complete rip off ...particularly as I'm only doing the 100. (Back on bike after 10 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Is it same price for 100k!? Wow, that is madness. I know that it’s run to fund some of the Vets events and organisation etc & not done for ‘profit’, but they are at risk of killing their golden goose with such pricing.

Same price for all distances.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they've been jacking up the price for years and haven't killed the attendance yet. I think they're benchmarking themselves against the Dublin marathon, which is over €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Ring of Kerry is up there in price as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That is actually nicer done on a day with no crowd on the roads.

stop somewhere like the Cove for lunch in Caherdaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Haven't you heard of the Boards Evil Ride? - twice the elevation of the WW200 and it won't cost you anything (well financially anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

Tempted. I've read all the threads, think it's time I did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Crucially it's on nearly closed roads more to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

If I had a Euro for every time someone posted a Thread complaining about the W200 I would have nearly enough to enter it.

Anyway, everyone should do the Boards Evil. Totally FOC but as Wishbone Ash has pointed out, you will pay dearly in other ways >insert evil laugh here<

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I recommend doing the evil days after a covid vaccination, perfect excuse to bail. (I managed 130km and probably still had more climbing than the W200)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RoK is not closed roads, or wasn't when I did it, except for a couple of sections. And also how much actually goes to charity....

As I understand it the WW200 is outsourced to an events company, with the vets only providing the marshals/ bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The problems started when the IVCA relinquished control of the event to a commercial operation who have sucked all the joy out of the event, strand by strand. The finish in Bray Emmetts during the summer was really awful.

I was interested to do it but heard that the food stops were terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Food stops awful and no medal at the end either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

100 euro is madness and is pretty disheartening. The so called premier sportive event, surely at that price its not really encouraging any new blood to the sport. Wicklow 200 has a great tradition and quite sat its turned into a purely financial venture to fund ICVA bank accounts. Are they just chancing their arm.

Maratona Dles Dolomites is the same price for closed roads, high quality castelli jersey & jersey and lots of other small items that exceed the value of the entry, a pure celebration of cycling.

Was thinking of riding the WW200 next year but no chance at that price.

Mick Byrne randonee is 25 euro and lovely small event with better hospitality in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

The event has been living on its reputation for the last few years and has not been helped by outsourcing. The Reservoir cogs event is a much more enjoyable gig and to be very fair is very well ran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You might be being a little hard on the IVCA there @Arthurdaly - been a while since they were directly involved other than for marshalling (which is a high point of the event to be fair).

I don't think anyone anywhere ever called it "the premier sportive". Self-called perhaps, at best.

Those tuned in on the sportive wavelength have a good handle on what are truly the best events and the best cycling experiences in and around the country, and I'd wager that WW200 wouldn't make anyone's top 10 even.

Bit like what Ironman is to long distance multi-sport.....ultimately disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

IMHO, The Reservoir Dog really is the benchmark in terms of route and organisation with the Orwell Randonee a close second. The Ox Mountain 4 Passes is much prettier and on almost completely empty roads. The Sleive Bloom Extreme is a hell of a tough spin and then there's the Mick Byrne and the Evil200.

I did my first and probably last W200 this year. Far too much boring road after Wicklow gap and the last 40 or 50km were dire too. There was a stretch of about 10 km that was just non stop roundabouts, speed ramps, pedestrian crossings, potholes and heavy Sunday traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why did you think they were awful? The queues were about on a par with every large scale sportive I've done, the smaller ones are usually a bit nicer. There were no issues with the food in my eyes though, there was plenty of everything available.

I had no complaints about it this year, sure the start and end was a bit shite but they always are and with Bray a short cycle away I went an got myself a pint and burger which is much better than waiting for the usual pasta dish you get at these things.

I'm certain there was a medal this year also.

Yep there surely was

They weren't, I think some folks were expecting a pre booked table and fine dining. They were the typical affair if not slightly above average in my opinion. I'd say if you were a bit later getting around the queues may have been huge though as there were a lot of folks there.

As others have mentioned there are other better sportives but WW200 is one you'd have to tick off the list I think. I've done it a few times as it's the home county and usually leave it out of my plan until closer the time and if it suits it's not a terrible day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My comment was meant in jest, as i was replying to a comment about the Evil 200.

Ah I'm with ya my bad 🙈 half read the thread, I'm only gravitating back to boards since the cluster **** that was their update.

Me too! I’m sure the food stops on the Evil were fabulous 😁

I did the W200 this year also. The stops were grand but it all felt a bit listless in terms of atmosphere. Especially the finish could have done with a few food vans - I’d have been happy enough to pay for something hot and calorific. I think there was only a coffee option and something else that I can’t remember but was unappealing. I’m not really tempted back to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

The volunteers are by a long way the high point of the W200 every year, a sound bunch, always cheerful and full of encouragement. Unfortunately however, the foodstop in Baltinglass was shockingly poor this year. More than 30 minutes queuing for food in an exposed stadium is no joke when it's cold. Biggest mistake I made was wasting my time there. Rathdrum in total contrast was great. The food on offer is fine and certainly on par with other sportives. However it's not twice as good. Scalping the punters will eventually kill the golden goose for the W200. I'm afraid I feel no inclination to support the event in the future and I've completed 7 at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

They finally released the new route. They have included the Sally Gap in it. Also the devil's elbow. It seems like a decent route. There is more total climbing than last year's one I think

Advertisement