Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 Y2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EAD

Volunteer's insight...

I was a volunteer in the food stop in Laragh from 12-4.30pm (30min beyond my alloted shift). The sheer volume of food and drink dished out was absolutely incredible, a real eye-opener! We did our best to ration this out but it was inevitable it (the tasty stuff especially) would deplete and eventually run out. By the time I left there were still a plentiful supply of sandwiches, tea/coffee and water left, which is what the website said the event would provide.

I would never do an event and expect gels, sports drinks, electrolyte etc. Seeing the behind-the-scenes volume of food/drink required for an event like this has only cemented this view. Water's a no-brainer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some more random thoughts from a Volunteer's perspective.

I was a marshal, moving between spots over the course of the day, covering gaps and allowing people to go for (very short) food and nature breaks. Many of us were up at 5 to be in place for 7am. That's not a moan. It's good craic and I enjoyed every minute of it. The positivity of the riders is infectious.

I ended my shift of top of the Shay around 5 and I know for a fact the water tanks were full then. That said the water issue could have been avoided and I'll certainly raise it when we get to provide feedback.

I also had some water with me and I was giving that out to people who were asking. It think nearly everyone I gave water to actually still had water and were just worried about how far it was to Laragh (5km downhill at that point). I also had a box of gels to hand as a number of my clubmates were doing the 200. Interesting how many people were quite happy to help themselves to those without asking, 5km away from a foodstop. Someone also grabbed a can of coke out of my hand as i was about to hand it to a club mate. I hope he enjoyed it.:-)

A couple of people had mechanicals but we ferried them down to Laragh to the mechanic there if the mobile mechanics couldn't sort them out.

I think I ended my day at the best spot. I've struggled up the Shay many times in all sorts of conditions but yesterday it was super tough. Seeing so many people dig really deep to find that last push over the line at the monument was pretty inspiring. And a special shout out to the kid near me who was handing out biscuits! I think those Jammy Dodgers made the day for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 otnemem

That's simply not true. I know what I saw. I had parked my bike next to the bin and was eating and checking in with my wife when it happened and, hearing the noise, I was curious what was dumped so when the fella walked back to the tables I leaned to see what he had thrown and there were kilos of cake there.

I know, it's crazy to expect the "premier" irish sportive to have sport drinks or even a freaking coke at the announced stops. Energy bars? I'm out of my mind surely. Or even actual water at the water stops, that would be crazy, right?

I'd rather not have to do this, but the tone of your reply is a bit much and you probably think people here haven't done other sportives or granfondos so I'll be your Huckleberry. Compare this to something like the Loch Ness sportive - at every stop you have about three different energy bars, ready made electrolyte drinks, gels PLUS the usual cake, oat cookies, etc. Three stops for a little over 100K on closed freaking roads. For less money than the Wicklow. So yeah, you'll forgive me for having expectations.

Exactly. If I want to do a self-supported 200K ride around Wicklow, I do it without paying 100+€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Well, it's the guts of €100 so there is some expectation. The choice of chicken curry or vegetable curry after a hot and humid ride did not float my boat. As somebody else said, it's not an audax. We did the route of the Yola 200 down in Wexford the previous weekend in hot conditions, and fended for ourselves just fine. When you're paying premium prices, you expect at least the basics to be right. The Laragh food stop was grand when I went through - no idea what it was like when the 200 came through, but my mates that did the 200 turned up to no food at all in Emmets.

Anyway, other than that, I did the 100. The route this year was way better than last years, traffic only picking up really on the approach to Enniskerry. Facing into the Sally Gap straight out of the blocks though was tough for us non-mountain goats. This actually became my main target for the year as I failed effectively the same route at the Orwell in late April through a combination of lack of form and recovering from a bug. That day I was forced to put tail between legs at the viewing point and roll back downhill. The upshot being I put a plan in place involving shedding some timber (down 6kg/10cm off the belly) and upping the FTP a bit (+10W since then). Sticking to a plan of riding strictly to what the power meter was telling me got me up, albeit slowly and steadily. After that it was all just the sort of rolling stuff I'm more used to. The climb up from Laragh was very enjoyable. So a bit done, lots more to do, but I'm happy with progress.

Marshalling was excellent as always, food - see above. The heat and humidity kicked in proper about 11:30 which was quite draining. I was starting to run low on water at Roundwood, and could probably have eaked it out to the end, but was glad to see the tanker non the less just past it. As others have mentioned, there were bugs a plenty. At least one added to my protein intake for the day. Most startling one was a swarm of bees in Moneystown (?) - mouth closed and head down fortunately on this occasion.

So thoroughly enjoyed it. At the price, I'm not sure I'd do it again, given there was a benefit for the Ronald McDonald House - much nearer my heart - covering much the same terrain the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Food & water yes of course but that doesn’t not mean gels, energy bars or sports drinks which are not cheap especially for the numbers doing the W100/200.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i’ve no complaints about the food stops. Larragh and the finish were disappointing but I knew that was likely based on my expected finish time.

as a supported event they fundamentally got the water breaks wrong. That was the bare minimum. Eve thing else could be planned but no one was carrying enough water for a 210km hilly ride on one of the warmest / high humidity day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its a premium rate sportive. For 100 quid it's not fair to say that imo. If there's no water at the stop, that's a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

well it is true cause i lifted about 20 boxes of food from sandwiches to unopen cakes into the van. could it be trays of open cakes you say thrown out as it wasnt feasible to load open boxes in van?? but i would have thought that would be max 3 trays?? Overall i enjoyed the marshalling and anyone i spoke to seemed to be enjoyin it although i know it was early in the day and it was a very warm day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

My only further comment would be to have a go at sorting the entrance logistics, a lot of start/stop getting cars past the bikers who wanted to cross their path, I queued for 40mins on the N11 and I thought I was early. A chunk of time could be reduced making the internal movement slicker in 1 piece flow.

Start filling the field through the very first entrance at the corner. Only allow vans to continue down towards the hard standing area.

Either that or aim bikes right around the field, so that you minimise cars/bikes crossing.

Probably use that first bit for drop off only.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vintcerf

Not sure if they were part of the event or not, but there was a family offering cold water from their house (the forge i think) at the top of a climb - saved a lot of people including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

Thank you to every marshal, garda, volunteer and the organisers. You guys were ace and did a top-notch job.

To all the keyboard warriors in the previous posts moaning non-stop. Take a day off will ya. Stop in a feckin shop if you need water so badly - you’re grown men for pity’s sake! Oh, and please don’t do the event in 2024. No one wants to get stuck in a bunch beside you and your negative vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

I think the issue here is that WW200 identifies as a “premium “ event and charges c.€100 The basic requirement of water was not provided by WW200 on a very hot day, in very remote areas. People were gasping and dehydrated.

Some comments above , suggest that people should be have been “adults” and should have gone off course in order to try and find water….this should not be necessary for a “Premium” event ! Cyclists can do that on any free ride !

Unfortunately the premium event got it very wrong with regard to providing water.

Once again - well done and thanks to all the Marshalls and volunteers for a job very well done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was meant to say I saw a lad doing it wearing sandals. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

From last years Dublin City marathon €110 entry fee

Would these be similar levels in terms of prestige across the two sports?

Will there be cups or bottles for the water stations? 

We will have 250ml bottles of Ishka water. 

Will there be cups or bottles for the Lucozade Sport? 

It will be served in cups in a variety of flavours.

Will gels be provided on the course? 

Yes Enervit gels will be supplied at two stations on the route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Again, it's one of the most expensive events on the calendar. Its the most basic thing I'd expect at a sportive. You shouldn't ever have to expect to stop and pay for it along the way unless you really want to. People were getting to the stops expecting water, so why on earth would they be stopping before hand to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Anyone get their medal yet? Asking for a friend 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

I marshalled towards the end of the route. Organiser needs to clearly signal/ mark the end of the route on the public road. A sign outside the venue is also needed to show which way to turn to get the M50. A few of us marshalled for over 6 hours a which is excessive. There doesn’t appear to be any forum for receiving feedback for those who marshalled on the day. Also marshals used to get a sandwich and bottle of water for volunteering their time……….ahhh those were the days!!!!!!! The broom wagon was parked up at Bray Emmets well before the last 30 riders finished???? There were 4 paid motorcyclists at the entrance of Bray Emmets for hours chatting but didn’t do marshalling duties??? Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

In relation to gels, energy bars etc-I’m sure these are sponsored where provided free at events. Can’t see any event organiser shelling out for these!!!!

no excuse for lack of water at food stops etc to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And I did say that. However, a number looking for it had a full enough bottle visible, and a number only had one, 500ml bottle too. afaik I was circa 2km from a tanker (that still had water at 5pm anyway when I passed). I had my own bottle in my hand and some lad came past thinking I was doing a hand up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just on the sports nutrition - I've done a couple of the big classics sportives. It's still predominantly waffles and sweet "treats" rather than energy bars and gels. They do have some, but in fairness, I don't think the IVCA have the pulling power of Flanders Classics or ASO.

Just to add - the DCM is over 20,000 participants. Again, a bit easier to get sponsorship than for 3000.

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have to pull you up on this. I've done the W100 a number of times and the Reservoir dog etc, but didn't do the sportive this year, but the least I'd expect is water and a sambo and cake at strategic locations, but I'd draw the line at expecting gels and electrolytes. If you need these then carry them in your pockets - not a big ask. I'd also envisage that if gels were being offered that it's too easy for the first hundreds of riders to just grab an excessive amount of each, depriving the remainder of the field of the intake. I've seen it happen with the Twix bars leaving nothing but the Aldi branded Mars bars for the back-field!!

Finally - carrying either cash or a card and stopping in a shop is little OTT given the event that's in it. It's not really a viable option for multiple reasons in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

to anyone say food thrown away, no organisation will take opened packets or homemade stuff . and certainly if it's been out all day a hot day it's safer to bin.

had to get rid of a pile of sandwiches as they were out all day on our own sportive. unfortunately it's the way it is.

I did say it was cake both times, including the comment you quoted. So thanks for confirming that I wasn't drunk. Brain might have been running a bit low on glucose by then but I wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

if you go to France and do the Marmotte, what would you expect? I've seen lads with baguette sambos strapped to their crossbars!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

You would expect water !

Refreshments station : Col de La Croix de Fer| Valloire| Col du Galibier| Bourg d’Oisans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Ah no, of course not. I wouldn't expect those unless SiS, High5 or the like were sponsors

Advertisement