Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 Y2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

weather isnt looking great

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Doc07

Sent you pm ,only one entry though if that’s any use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Ah yea, first time rain is forecast in nearly a month. Of course 😅

temps look interesting also - 21 degrees up on Sally gap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

short sleve jersey with mesh base layer all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

I have an entry for sale if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

Im going with a pair of arm warmers as well as it's chilly enough at that time in the morning in the hills. I suppose I better pack a rain jacket as there could be showers. The wind is looking ok

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Forecast is now looking good - no rain !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lots of water and electrolytes. You'll feel that heat on the Climbs.

• Advertisement

What kind of stuff will they have on the water/food/snack stops

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

What food and drink will be available along the route?

At each checkpoint each riders will get, tea, coffee and sandwiches. Water will also be available. There will also be water point the top of Slieve Maan. Light refreshments will be provided at the finish. Note: This may not be enough food by itself to complete the Wicklow 200! See below for further advice.

https://wicklow200.ie/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You’d think that if they’re charging €100 a head, they could manage to run their signage through a spellcheck or a proofreader before going to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah it's disgraceful they dropped the 'be'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

First time doing it tomorrow, what's the start like? I'm hoping to average 26km/h so just wondering if it's the usual hellish start at these kind of things with lads riding 5 across and no space to pass?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Then either get to the very front so nobody blocking you or start from the back of the bunch so by the time you are passing the crowd, they'll have thinned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Plotaroute says 3300m of climbing, Garmin says 2600m. Massive difference, same route exported from Plotaroute

Start is very casual they don't really line lads up just as it approaches 7 the marshalls will tell you move on. I always set off around 6.45 or as I see a large cycling club heading off as these usually form big groups along the road. If riding in a group I'd suggest doing so toward the front as you'll see some god awful riding skills in some groups.

Garmin always underestimates elevation when I import a route also. I'm not sure what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭shamrocka330

Hope the cycle is better organised than the access to the car park, traffic is not moving 😳

• Advertisement

Are you recycling posts from the Slane thread from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

... and the winner of the Boards.ie WW200 race report, 2023 is......

(Aside: Kudos to ALL Starters, well done for getting stuck in)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Passed a few between the viewpoint and glencree when i was out earlier, some numbers on the road for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I predict a high choc-ice to bar-tape residue

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was marshalling at the start of the Slieve Maan climb

A lot of the early riders were low on water, but fortunately I had brought some for those who did not want to wait for the end of that 3km upward bit!

After my shift had finished I drove past what looked like a very nasty fall on the descent. The medics were treating him and and I passed an ambulance on the way to it. Hopefully he's OK and everyone else managed to get round without incident. It was very hot and humid with the skies starting to clear as I finished my shift at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Steep Decent signs too😅😅

Did the 100k and enjoyed it !

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

Did my marshaling stint down tha Suthern Injun Cuntry on the 200. Middle of nowhereville and all seemed fine to me. Very good vibes from the riders and apart from being devoured by monstrous horseflies I enjoyed it. Lots of impressive looking bikes on display, not too many fat tyres or single speeds this time. One gripe I have is with the guy in full TT mode, tucked like Remco on the aerobars, absolutely hammering though the junction without as much as a wave. As for the possibility of traffic???? Obviously he was in some sort of hurry. I assume he was doing the event but surely TT bars/bikes are a big no no for this event? I didnt read the actual memo come to think of it.

There's Always One.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

I found that one tougher than last year. My Garmin had 209km with 3172 meters of climbing with average speed of 25.9kmh.

I never cycled that back road from Hollywood to Donard before. I didn't find it great; very rough surface for most of it.

It got quite warm by the time we hit the Slieve mann and the Elliot. I ran out of water half way up the Slieve Maan and I was suffering by the top.

The spin from the second food stop back to roundwood was enjoyable. I was in a group with some lads from the Phoenix Cycling club from Belfast for that bit.

The marshalling and food stops were great. Enjoyable but tough day overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Saw a lot of TT bars today.

I struggled massively today, training was just coming good and then was off the bike for 3 weeks before. Yesterday was #2 child's confirmation so did a lot of running around, so not the best prep.

Pushed too hard to keep up with club mates on that first 30-40km to the top of the Sally gap. so struggled with cramp for the back half of the course.

Hope the guy that crashed just coming down from the salley gap is ok, lots of gravel rash and moving in pain but moving.

Marshalls were great, loads of garda and everyone in a good mood I thought. A couple of roads with shocking surfaces used, don't think I've seen so many punctures on a sportive.

35 mins slower than previous years but happy with that, banjaxed now though.

• Advertisement

They must be collectors items now. I might take a spin around and see if I can grab a couple.

Advertisement