Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic is going too easy on Alcaraz here. He should be making him move or put the balls into parts of the court to make Alcaraz move for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well this is thoroughly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

what a damp squid that was :(

honn Novak !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,032 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't agree Alcaraz clearly injured, was going toe to toe with him before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

And that should #23 in the bag for Djoko. I'd give Zverev a small chance of beating him in the final but Ruud none. Swiatek would probably give him more of a match tbh.

Alcaraz's first two slams of the year both ruined by injuries, but in very different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

So the old guard will carry the day, always felt Djokovic would do it when it came down to it. Until Alcaraz beats Djokovic at a slam we cannot really say the baton has been passed on the next generation. Barring injury hard to see Djokovic being beaten in the final or at Wimbledon even, so another tilt at the Grand slam is likely at the USO. Djokovic is still the man to beat at slam level and with the possible exception of Alcaraz ( who's still a little short) there's no one really worthy of challenging him at the moment.

some folks on here can't recognise a joke when they see one !! 😂

"The youth of today" - always a good ironical one that 👁️‍🗨️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If anything he was on top, had more break point opportunities, was getting into Djokovics service games easily, etc. Was opening the shoulders right before the injury.

Pity, had the potential to be a classic. But, conditioning is all part of the game, and Djokovic (even at 36) is still on top in that regard.

Hard to see past him for #23 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did Alcaraz pick up an injury or was it cramp?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It seemed to be cramp. Started in his hands and went into his arms and legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,032 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

?

Ah I am sure they will have a few more good battles over the next couple of years.

if it's good enough for Del Boy.... i'll malapropize away :pac:

won't be too many 'years to come' for me; what with Nolo being 36..... will hope for sure Le Spaniard beats Djoko a few times before t'Serb retires 🤗

doubt many care who wins this second semi match - not exactly household names these two 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There are only a couple of tennis player at any one time that tend to be household names.

Ruud has been in 2 grandslam finals already Zverev in 1 and he's n Olympic Gold medallist, ATP finals winner.

They're hardly nobodies in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well there's my lovely Friday night in with an epic tennis classic gone up in smoke!! 🙄

I feel very sorry for Alcaraz, whether it's inexperience, or nerves, or whatever - that's an awful way to crash out of a grand slam. And he just looked like a rabbit in headlights, didn't seem to know how to deal with it really.

I have no doubt it'll make him all the stronger in the long run, though.

What a shame!

Not surprised Casper won but am a little surprised by how comfortable it was. Zverev is just coming back from a major injury and is notoriously rubbish against top 10 players in 5 sets anyway. Unfortunately I think the final is going to be about as competitive.

Lordy, women's final is into final set. Swiatek very rattled and just broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Yes, this is why I don't watch Tennis anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bottler!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Excellent final, lots of ebbs and flows to it. Great win by Swiatek, there were times in the second and early in the third set where she was being completely outplayed and looked done for but she managed to grind out the win.

4 majors at the age of 22 and unlike Barty and Osaka she's seems to have real hunger to win many more which is good for the womens game.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I’ve long given up on women’s tennis. Being up a break of serve in the final set and then having your serve broken twice in succession to lose the match is just really poor stuff. Nice to see someone capable of winning multiple grand slams, though.

Heard a quote from Ruud earlier saying that no matter what happens tomorrow it's been a good two weeks for him.

🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I recall him saying more or less the same thing last year before his final with Nadal. And I'll be expecting a similar outcome today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

Djokovic drops serve and is down by 2-0 in first set. Looks like this could be tougher than people thought

Ruud playing really well so far, but also getting help from Djoko who's off his game. The match will change when Djoko clicks into gear, just a matter of when.

Still not playing well. Is getting into trouble on every service game. If he wins the first set, should win easily.

Looks to have taken control now. Be interesting to see if Ruud is able to fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its all over, a sense of inevitability about it.

Djokovic could be winning this at the age of 40 because the newer generation are rubbish.

All he has to do is turn these matches into a war of attrition and the new guys fold, they are all weak mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

1 rule for Djokovic wasting time, and a different for the others. Crowd is the same for all players all tournament and he's getting preferential treatment from the refs 2 days after strict enforcement of rules for an injured player. Nonsense

Advertisement