Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

not sure of the answer but was uncle Tony a top coach when he brought Nadal to the very top.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

True but Nadal brought in Moya when he needed something a bit extra.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rune having a real go in the 3rd set. 4-2 up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Happy with my tenner on Casper thus far. I think he has almost no hope of beating Alcaraz but Zverev is favourite to beat him in the semis according to the bookies which I can't get my head around at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

Hopefully at least one of the semi's on Friday will bring a great match and some epic tennis - they often produce better matches than the final. Would so love to see Alcaraz through to the final!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭josip

I see Nadal has dropped from 15th to 134th in the ATP rankings due to dropping 2000 points from last year. Is that the biggest one week drop ever for a top 20/50 player ?

https://www.atptour.com/en/rankings/singles/live?rankRange=101-200&countryCode=all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

What's your point, he's out injured, might not even come back so don't see what you're getting at, it's not like it's based on his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

You could hear a pin drop at this Muchova v Sabalenka match, no atmosphere whatsoever.

Most players fade away as they get older, gradually getting knocked out earlier and earlier in tournaments.

But they can spend a few years in the top 20, 50, 100 picking up points here and there before they eventually call it a day.

The fact that Nadal earned very few points after winning the FO last year means that the loss of those 2000 points causes a much bigger drop in the number of places

I can’t think of anyone else who dropped as many places in one go, not Murray, not Thiem.

In Nadal’s case it’s even more noteworthy, since he spent 18 years in the top 10 up to the end of March.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Would be very disappointed if Sabalenka loses this, I want a #1 vs #2 final.

Also not a fan of Muchova after some suspect MTO antics against Barty at the Australian Open back in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Up to Wimbledon last year he had a strong start to 2022, but, has barely played since, so no surprise his ranking has fallen off a cliff. Murray and Thiem both struggled a while before going off tour so had very little points to defend. If any player basically misses a full year of the tour (bar a few false start comebacks) then their ranking will plummet. If there was any way Nadal come have played the FO he would have, so the injury he has must be very serious and potential career ending.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have less than no interest in watching Sabalenka playing anyone - I really find her most unlikeable as a player. For that reason I'm hoping (but not expecting) she'll get beaten. Having her in the final would actually ruin it for me.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the other semi, but I'll record it and try to avoid spoilers (although I'm sure we can all guess the result there as well!).

I had never heard of Haddad Maia, but I like her play a lot (plus she's a fellow leftie).

Definitely rooting for Alcaraz tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Sabalenka there for the taking for Muchova now, which I wouldn't have a problem with as I've had enough of Sabalenka's grunting and screaming every time she hits the ball, just no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Great match there , sabalenka blew it and not for the first time. As an aside that's two commentators this week that said sabalenkas forehand is as fast as Alcaraz , that is very far from the truth , I've seen both live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

She's not the only culprit but my god she is one of the worst. Not a nice style to watch either , she hit over 50 unforeced errors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

yeah, that Chris Evert's full o' sheet - Sabalenka's forehand and how fast it is 😏 seriously doubtful that she's able to hit it (and given her competition, i reckon Sabalenka has far more chances to smash one than what her male counterparts would've) faster than most blokes on the tour

not good hard enough to get to final anyhow - pity

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

I really enjoyed both women’s semi finals, delighted the Belarusian banshee is gone, I had the volume muted as I can’t be listening to her shrieking and find Chris Evert poor as a co commentator. Also her butchering of Muchova’s name was very annoying. There’s a facility on the Wta website whereby when you click on the players name they themselves pronounce their name so there’s no excuse for not getting it right.

I love Muchova’s style of play and it’s great to see her back to her best but it looked to me like she was limping at times in the final set so fingers crossed she’s able to give Iga a match in the final.

Iga looked to be feeling the pressure today but managed to steady the ship and make it true in straight sets but she will have to serve a lot better in the final.

Haddid Maia is a dogged fighter and has had a brilliant tournament but I’m glad Iga was the winner. I know Haddid Maia was found to have no significant fault when her sample tested positive but she still served a doping suspension of ten months and I find it very strange that it’s never mentioned.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bit disappointing that the most anticipated match of the tournament starts at 1.45 today when most won't be able to watch. I suppose it's only fair to follow the halves schedule pattern, but it's still disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭al87987

It's only an extra few hours rest and they all got a day off yesterday and will have one tomorrow.

Ridiculous to have the biggest match of the year so far take place in the middle of the afternoon when they could have easily scheduled it for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Augme

It's more than a few hours tbf. A night match at the semi-fnal stages of a GS would be ridiculous and very unfair on that pairing.

• Advertisement

John McEnroe on commentary 🙄😡

What a way to break him

was gonna have a bet on Alcaraz, but he was only 4/9

wasn't sure what the odds would be, and i wasn't expecting such a disparity in the prices, but i reckon any Djokovic fans woulda been rubbing their hands seeing he was 7/4 at start of match! ....looks even bigger now 😂 20/23 Alcaraz , 9/10 Novak are prices atm

Alcaraz finally gets a break over the line.

I feel like this match is slowly turning in his favour - just in time for me to have to go out to play a game - my timing is appalling 😭

some brilliant dropshots by Carlitos here - gr8 to see

likely winner of this match will win final comfortably - don't even know who's in other semi, but in comparison, most of what's been on show from t'other half has been reet mediocre compared to these two lads

honn Carlos !!

One set all 😎

No real way of telling where this'll go though. Right now I'd favour Alcaraz, but it's too close to call. Djokovic clearly surprised by how many balls are coming back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic has broken Alacraz. Alacraz concedes a game to allow medical treatment for his calf.

Alcaraz no longer moving freely. I think he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Alcaraz clearly injured now. What was setting up to be an epic is now done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The youth of today!!! Bottlers...

Advertisement