Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have it on in the background, and was coming on here to post exactly this!

That awful drone, he's really hard to listen to (and I'm not even really listening).

Bring back Anabel Croft!!!

(I have no idea if she even does ES, I suspect not, but she's my favourite commentator bar none)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Frew MacMillan was a great commentator, he'd a beautiful speaking voice very easy to listen to.I imagine considering his age he's probably retired now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just catching up: by jaysus that Doubles DQ a disgraceful call. And as for the ball girl crying like her fooking leg had been amputated!! Had that been a balllboy not a sniffle. And the opponents acting so disingenuously.

I'd give the ball girl a pass, she probably got a fright, and then things just spiralled out of her control, in front of the packed stands and the world watching on telly.

But the pair of opponents chasing the umpire around "but look, she's crying" "and there's blood", like telling tales to teacher - they should be ashamed of themselves.

But most pros/commentators have said that at the end of the day you have to own your actions, and you can't go around hitting ball kids, however unintentionally, which I would agree with - so I think the right decision, if very very harsh.

Surely the umpire is in charge.. and his/her decision is to be final, and respected.. Awful sportsmanship from those opponents (who wanted to win by being deceitful).

so the umpire overruling their own decision was the biggest problem..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ball kid should have caught the ball. It was floated to her. If she hadn't ducked there would have been no drama.

Maybe her hands were full of other balls?

You can't blame the kid. Players shouldn't be mindlessly hitting balls around the place ever - it drives me mad even in our casual evening games, never mind professional players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

Rune has just won a point where there was an obvious double bounce on his side,there will be more about this especially if he wins

Well Norrie won the other day with the same thing - the commentators saw it, the other player Pouille called it, but the umpire let it go (was looking the at the opponent, the commentators reckoned). Haven't heard any more about that.

And it was very obvious, no way did Norrie not know it was a double.

O/T - but Chris Evert is looking better and better every year that goes by.

Hard to believe she was drinking slams in the 1970s!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

She ducked when the ball was a long way away. The player floated it to her quite deliberately as players do. maybe she shouldn't be a ball kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

the commentator seems to be implying Rune threw the fourth set to set the record straight,maybe I read him wrong but he alluded to Rune leaving the court ,perhaps to take instruction but added only he will know.

I didn't hear that. I only tuned in at the start of the 4th set, but it was bizarre, and he definitely looked like he threw the set point.

it's like a different player from the first point of the 5th set.

He does look knackered though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭jacool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That disqualification, the behaviour of the opposition players and decision making of the officials on the day was an embarrassment for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

Utterly disgraceful performance so far by Tsitsipas. His one handed backhand doesn't cut it against the top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tsitsipas might as well retire now, he is never going to beat Alcaraz. He blew his shot two years ago against Djokovic, he is much further from the top of the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Strange third set. Alcaraz has a tendency to let his level drop at some point in most matches, Djokovic will exploit that better than anyone else on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tbf, Djokovic has hardly been a rock of consistency at this tournament, or all clay season. Ya he will exploits any of Alcaraz's weaknesses, but he is there to be exploited himself too.

Popcorn match awaits.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Loved seeing Tsitsipas getting ripped apart by Alcaraz. Alcaraz now with a 5-0 h2h against someone who many thought would probably be a rival. And he's only 20!

Despite reaching the AO final in January, I feel as if Tsitsipas is further away than ever from winning a slam. I think he's peaked, at least for now, and will need a change up if he ever wants to win big. He's still only 24, so he's got time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Djokovic big underdog I don't really see personally. But he's a heavy enough one with the crew who usually don't get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic is the favourite imo, don't see how Alcaraz could possibly be, despite how good he obviously is. Whichever way it goes it'll be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Djokovic has known since the beginning of the tournament that Alcaraz is the only player likely to stop him, regardless of how he's playing he knows he'll still come through against the other players, but, he knows against Alcaraz that he needs to step it up or he'll be gone. There's no better player to rise to a challenge, he's faced bigger obstacles before ( all be it when in his prime) and overcome them. Things in Alcaraz favour are Djokovic is a long way from his prime, has been inconsistent due to his stop/ start nature of his year and obviously starting to show signs of decline.

Djokovic is still mentally the strongest and smartest player on the tour, but, not the dominant player he was. Should be a proper contest and a possible changing of the gaurd match, but, until Alcaraz actually defeats Djokovic in a slam, I would give a slight edge to Djokovic and expect him to win. Alcaraz wining would be great for the game as it would signal the passing of the baton onto the new generation.

Nole into the semis snd clearly past his best.. where is the emerging talent?’

No real shame in that for the other players though, hes probably the greatest player of all time (and I think soon there'll be no probably about it).

Lionel Messi has been past his best for close to a decade and yet he's still been the best player in the world in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Messi and Djokovic is not really comparable, Messi is in a team sport where his team mates do all the heavy lifting for him, the world Cup was a perfect example of this, Djokovic is an individual who has to do it all himself each day he goes out. Also Messi moved from a much harder league ( La Liga) to the easier French league. Outside of Djokovic ( plus Nadal and Federer before him) there isn't really that many examples in top level individual sports of an individual in their mid to late thirties still being competitive let alone winning on a consistent basis. Even in team sports it's not that common, but, substantially easier to do.

I agree with that maintaining standards in an individual sport is more difficult. I mentioned Messi purely as an example that it is possible for the greats to still be the best in the world in their sport while still being past their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Make some mula! Haha 2/1 to win French open Vs 8/13 Alcaraz. I think we can all agree the men's final is on Friday this year haha

• Advertisement

Zverev got over the line 3-1. When he starts to lose the serve, he really loses it, even still. I think him and Tsitsipas will rue not getting in top rated coaches, rather than their fathers.

Advertisement