Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2023

Options
  • 28-05-2023 11:36am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Play has already started, so probably best to get the thread underway!

Women's side should be a three way tussle between Swiatek, Sabalenka and Rybakina, but maybe Krejcikova can't get in the mix here again? She is a former champion. As always though, you just never know with the WTA.

Nadal being out makes the men's side significantly more open. Should be between Djokovic, Alcaraz, Medvedev and Rune, with perhaps Rublev, Tsitsipas and Ruud the alternative contenders.

Should be an interesting fortnight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This Italian youngfella looks like he's in for a right mauling at the hands of the (even younger!) Alcaraz.

The sheer joy when he finally won a game was just charming!!!

You'd swear he'd just won the match 🤣

Great match between Medvedev and the unpronounceable Brazilian, looks like it could go either way although you'd have to back Med.

But my god he looks so skinny! Between that and the nosebleed, you'd wonder is he alright...... mind you, he must be if he can play like this!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

maybe Krejcikova can get in the mix here again?

Out in the first round to Tsurenko 🙃

Nice scalp for the seriously dodgy-mustachioed Brazilian!

Fabulous play by him in the final set.

• Advertisement

Who brought a (screaming) baby to the French Open???

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I know it's still Medvedev on clay, but that is a surprising loss. He's made huge strides on the surface recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A proper ding dong battle between Azarenka and Andreescu.... for someone who isn't all that used to clay (according to commentators, I can't say I know that much about her), she's (Andreescu) putting up quite the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just watched highlights of Swiateks match and the stadium was virtually empty.

Surely the French Tennis Federation have to do a better job filling the stands particular for matches involving big players, looks horrific that one o the premier events in the sport with the best women's player is played in front of a stadium that looks at most 20% full.

• Advertisement

I was thinking exactly the same thing, couldn't believe how empty the stadium was for that match. Maybe because it was the last of the daytime matches? But still, if I was there I'd want to see the No 1 play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I watched Swiatek at Roland Garros last year and it was half empty. I had tickets to Chatrier for the entire day session, as did everyone else. If everybody decides to leave the court to go and get food/drink while Swiatek is playing there is nothing they can do about it. Come to think of it now I didn't stay for the entire match either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

Monfils 36 year old ,4 games to love down in 5th Set,cramping badly,and somehow managed to win ,brillant entertainment,except for Baez who must have thought he had it in the bag.His reward ,match with Rune

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

incredible stuff, crowd singing the Marseillaise, the place was rocking. Baez will be gutted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It was some match , was a little bit annoyed with monfils antics at the end , thought he overcooked it a small bit ,he was relatively fine in the rallies. Atmosphere was fantastic and the reason they started the night matchs.

I tuned in for the last set of the Norrie-Pouille match, and the commentating was borderline obnoxious. Talk about biased!

Yes, the match was highly unlikely to get turned around, but Pouille gave it socks in the last few games, and they were like they were patting him on the head for being a great little boy with his effort - so condescending!

And there was no way that Norrie didn't notice that double bounce - the umpire missed it, Pouille called it out, and Norrie just carried on regardless. Compare that to snooker players who barely feather the cueball, nobody notices, but they immediately call a foul on themselves. Highly unsporting IMO.

Djokovic turned on the afterburners in that first set tie break! Decent match so far.

Wasn't there something recently with him and Djokovic as well?

Musetti in next round for Norrie, that will be a lot tougher!

Don't know about that - but I'd always have had the height of time for him, and that just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth I have to say.

Don't know anything about Musetti.

Musetti is solid, he beat Norrie and Djokovic as well recently and only 21, likes the clay too.

Seemed to be something out of nothing that time to be fair.

• Advertisement

I see Monfils listed today as giving a walkover to Rune, maybe he wasn't alright at all?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Baez will be doubly gutted if Monfils gives a walkover.

Yeah in fairness I saw that and thought the same , just felt when I was watching he was over hamming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he looked cooked, sometimes adrenaline kicks in when your actually moving. I commented towards the end of the match that there's no way he'll be back out for the next round, of if he is he'll be easily beaten.

Baez can't complain, if he wanted to be in the next round he should have beaten his broken, old opponent.

The Sinner/Altmeier match looks like it could go on all day - 1 set each after 2 tie breaks and over 2 hours played.

God love them out in the heat of midday/afternoon!

Altmaier serving for the match in 5th set and Sinner breaks...yikes

Then Altmaier breaks to win the match.. ding dong battle enjoyed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

Sinner is so fragile. He really should have been eyeing up a final appearance here given his side of the draw. But he's just mentally never really going yo have enough you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

V disappointed in Sinner. Yet again. He has so much potential but, already at such a young age, you get the feeling he won't fulfill it. His form is so erratic and inconsistent - which makes it all the more frustrating when he's on.

• Advertisement

Fritz what a legend! Absolutely loving that celebration!

Advertisement