Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

One reason not to have non-resident Irish citizens voting in our elections is quite simply the counting system could not cope.

We can barely count the EU Parliament elections with so many candidates and so many votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Of all the many arguments against allowing expat voters, this is about the worst I have ever heard.

I'm hoping its a joke.

New Zealand has very limited overseas voting. An NZ citizen who lives overseas can vote from abroad if (a) they have lived in New Zealand for at least 12 months at some time in their lives, and (b) they have been in New Zealand within the three years before the election. New Zealand may have 750,000 citizens living abroad, but currently only 63,000 of them are enrolled to vote.

Is something like this what you are proposing for Ireland?

(And for the record: Greek citizens can vote from abroad provided (a) they have previously lived in Greece and were registered to vote there and have maintained their registration, and (b) they now live in another EU member state. At the last election only 3.500 overseas voters were registered; Greece is considering abolishing overseas representation.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, it was an attempt at pointing out a weakness in our voting system.

Voting for the Dail - How would an Irish citizen decide which constituency to vote in? Well, they would require a residency period to qualify, otherwise how would it work? There is only at most four weeks from the calling of an election to the vote, so how could someone living in, say, Perth be informed of the issues, the candidates, and the process in time to cast a meaningful vote?

Voting for the Senate - We do not even have universal suffrage for the Senate, so how would non-residents get a vote? I would think the limited suffrage needs fixing first.

Voting for President - Would it not make the President a popularity contest or a campaign that might end up with Boaty-Mac-boatface type result?

No, we should just keep the system we have - maybe get vote counting sorted first.

Much depends on the kind of non-resident voting that is introduced.

Most countries that allow non-resident citizens to vote in fact only allow certain non-residents to vote. Typically, they have to be relatively recent emigrants, and they get to vote in the constituencies in which they were previously resident and registered. After a certain period, if they haven't returned, they lose the right to vote. Mostly, for these countries, only a minority of non-resident citizens are eligible to vote; the rest have either been abroad too long, have never lived in the home country, or have never lived there as adults.

Countries which allow all non-resident citizens to vote usually give them segregated, limited representation, unrelated to their numbers. Italy, for example, has eight members of the Chamber of Deputies (out of 630) and four Senators (out of 315) elected by non-resident citizens, grouped into four territorial constituencies — Europe; South America; North/Central America; Everywhere Else. Similarly France has 11 constituencies overseas, each electing one member to the National Assembly (which has 577 members in all). These allocations of overseas seats bear no relationship to the number of citizens living overseas, or to the number living in each seat. That would be constitutionally problematic in Ireland, where the ratio of voters to TDs has to be more or less uniform across all constituencies.

As for how somebody living abroad can be informed about the vote, the candidates, etc — we live in an age where this is more feasible than ever before. As to whether they'd be interested, or whether they would be well-equipped to make a sound and balanced judgment — well, that's a different question.

Ironic that you should ask how non-residents would get a vote in the Senate because, in fact, the Senate is the only place where we do have non-resident voting — if you are otherwise qualified to vote in the university constituencies (i.e. you are a citizen, you are a graduate of the university concerned) you do not need to be resident in Ireland in order to register to vote. Voting is by post.

Not sure what your point is about "getting vote counting sorted first". Vote counting works fine in Ireland. It takes time, but that's just because votes embed a lot of information and a sophisticated set of choices. We could have much quicker vote counts if we give voters much less say in who is to represent them, but I don't think that would be a good trade-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is not for me to prove the original point, it is for those who made and back that point to prove it.

Since there has been nothing but side-stepping and straw-manning I can take it that the original assertion is not definite or based on fact.

I have done the courtesy of providing numerous examples like NZ and Greece to state that letting ex-pats vote won't usher in a pseudo-dictatorship so in all essence and probability my point holds much more water than anything to the contrary.

As to your point about 'others do it, so should we', well I don't believe in Irish exceptionalism. People who think like that are generally quite conservative and closed-minded.

But it does beg the questions, are all other countries of the OECD wrong, and we are right? Or perhaps we are behind the curve here?

I think it just points out that we are a very conservative (and selfish) society when it comes to change. That just my opinion.

I've made that point before and was rounded on because apparently the way we count votes 'is the best!' or something.

The fact that it took almost a week to fully count the votes in the last European elections ain't something to be proud of, but again, Irish exceptionalism...

Seriously, I'm not seeing why this is a problem. If you think it's a problem, you need to say why it's a problem.

Lots of things about the conduct of elections matter, but I struggle to see why "how quickly can we count the votes?" is one of them.

Is something like this what you are proposing for Ireland?

Something like that won't be too bad, to be honest. At least it something.

What I believe is that

a) We should allow Irish citizens who were resident in Ireland before they moved away a right to vote in elections

b) That right should be timeboxed

The argument then is what that window is..

12 months <--> 20 years

Take your pick.

However, we are not even talking about pragmatic proposals, as there is just a hardline just 'No' reaction anytime this topic is brought up. Im sure someone will bring up the 'tax' argument soon.

Quote from Pereginus [Not sure what your point is about "getting vote counting sorted first". Vote counting works fine in Ireland. It takes time, but that's just because votes embed a lot of information and a sophisticated set of choices. We could have much quicker vote counts if we give voters much less say in who is to represent them, but I don't think that would be a good trade-off. ]

Well, there are problems with counting where a large number of votes are involved. This comes down to definitions and accuracy.

1. Generally, the move of eliminated votes is not a problem because all votes move to the appropriate pile.
    2. The movement of surplus votes becomes a problem because it depends on which votes are transferred. Now this is generally done in the case of a candidate deemed elected with the last votes in are the first votes out. Generally, this is not important, but in cases of close run elections, a difference of a few votes may change the result.

Now, a computer read ballot, entered into a computer, with a validated algorithm, would produce an accurate result. Now the process of reading the ballot would be overseen by a person checking 'difficult' papers, and the list could be checked by a random selection of all ballots to verify the reading process.

However, the people rejected 'computer voting' some time ago, so I doubt that this will be revisited for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It doesn't matter who or why they started the debate here quite simply if you want to change the status quo as you seem to be arguing for its up to you to provide the reasoning why. And like it or not everyone else does it is not enough, everyone else jumped off a cliff so should we do it too?. Especially when you can only give 1 example of a similar situation to ours as Greece being nowhere close to our foreign diaspora vs population ratio does not count.

It's an example of an out-of-date electoral and voting system.

Put simply the way we vote in Ireland has not changed in over 100 years even though society has changed.

On the day of the election, one has to take their slip of paper, and physically go to voting both, in the state itself and cast a vote.

No option for a postal vote

No option to vote from abroad even though one might be on business away

No option to vote elsewhere in the state if you are up/down the country for a legitimate reason for that day.

No option for early voting

The usual commentators and political anoraks get all aroused when voting day comes and there are these guys rummaging through tens of thousands slips of paper. All in the name of 'Transparency' and that 'Sure aren't we great in Ireland that we have this 'event''.

Other EU countries get it done with the added flexibility of the above and counted in a day, while we have some sort of National week of celebration counting bits of paper.

The slowness of the count in the last European election was a symptom of that. Suggest we change it, you swear you want to rewrite the ten commandments and that Padraig Pearse himself received this wisdom from God himself on Mount Sinai.

I think you are proving the point for me in regard to Irish exceptionalism and the innate conservativism we have in this society when it comes to looking at better ways of doing some things in this country.

As to the why?

It's quite simple really.

It's the right thing to do

All other things aside that is why we should do it.

Why is it the right thing? You arent providing anything to back up your arguments.

All your arguing for here is change for the sake of change, once again theres no actual reasons backed up by facts and logic for why we should change anything.

With transfers of surpluses, you can do this in one of three ways:

• Count the next effective preference for all the votes of the elected candidate, and apportion his surplus based on that.
    • Count the next effective preference in the last parcel of votes transferred to the elected candidate — the parcel that secured their election — and apportion the surplus based on that
    • Count the next effective preference in a number of votes from the last parcel, randomly selected, equal to the surplus

Obviously, the first of these options is the most time-consuming; the third is the least time-consuming. And, the more votes you have to count, the bigger this factor becomes.

In Seanad panel elections the total electorate is about a thousand, and the first way is used. In Dail elections I think it's a combination of the second and third ways.

I think it's true that, if votes were digitised and counting were computerised, it would be feasible to adopt the first way in Dail elections. And it could alter the outcome in very marginal cases.

As against that, I think there would be a loss of confidence in the integrity of digital voting/counting systems, both as to secrecy and as to reliability. It doesn't really matter whether that loss of confidence is well-founded or not; it would be damaging in itself. And there's plenty of evidence from automated voting in the US that problems can arise, and that confidence in the system can be shaken.

I think it's a different issue from whether we should have expatriate voting. If we had voting confined to recent emigrants, and given the relatively low turnout that other countries with this system experience, the increased number of votes to be counted probably wouldn't alter the arguments one way or another about the mechanics of counting.

The real issue is whether "you must have been living in the country within the past X years" is any more justifiable as a criterion for the franchise than "you must be living in the country". I don't see that it is, myself; it seems less justifiable.

I am, it's just it's wasted on you, as you already made up your mind.

No argument from me is going to change it.

But I know one thing. If we do allow it, we won't turn into a pseudo-dictator ala Turkey, which some people were preposterously fearmongering.

It's self-evident.

For someone talking about facts and logic, yet then claiming Ireland will fall under a dictatorship if we allow remote voting, is highly amusing.

Yes I have made up my mind but if someone provides me with good enough reasoning im open to changing it, you continually refuse to even try.

Its self evident.... lol, fair play admitting you've got nothing.

Point to me once in this thread where I specifically claimed Ireland would fall under a dictatorship if we allowed these changes beyond the one post where I referenced and ridiculed your absurdist straw manning logic.

Yes I have made up my mind

Then are you even debating this?

It's self-evident

I believe the right to vote in an election shouldn't automatically be extinguished if you happen to be outside your country on a given day. Voting is an innate right but apparently, you are **** out of luck if you don't 'fit' a stringent set of criteria.

All OECD and EU countries offer some sort of means to cast a vote from abroad.

Now, either they are all foolish and stupid, and Ireland is the beacon of sensibility, and transparency and the keeper of the flame of democracy..

Or maybe, just maybe they are on to something?

Lastly, if we are afraid that our democracy will fall apart if we get some Irish people abroad the right to vote, then perhaps the issue is deeper. Are people that insecure about Irish democracy?

Yea, but Turkey....

• Advertisement

You are still stuck with everyone else does it..... and yes there are criteria for voting I can use the same argument for removing all age requirements for it would you agree with that?

What are they onto exactly? You still are just nibbling around the edges of giving an actual reason?

I never said I was afraid of our democracy falling apart.

Let me try an analogy for you, lets say im born in Dublin and I move to cork for an undetermined amount of time but I may move back to Dublin in the future, I move my registration to Cork and get to vote there for the Local Authority but why shouldnt I still be allowed vote in Dublin for my old Local Authority?

You might argue well its different for people who move abroad as they don't get a vote in their new country but surely that's simply the price they pay for moving abroad? If they want to vote there they can go through the process to gain that right much like registering in a new constituency in Ireland. Or they can falsely retain their voting right and fly back to Ireland or in the analogy drive back from cork to dublin each election.

Yeah but... Turkey.

It's the extreme example proving a point.

Our foreign voters would often hold the balance of power from a position of safety from the repercussions.

A 2 Dáil term voting time limit is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a lot of spinning going on here. Most election counts are completed on the first day of counting. The vast majority of counts are completed by the second day. In unusual circumstances, where there are very tight margins between candidates, vote counting may continue beyond a second day, sometimes for a few days more - but that is fairly unusual and exceptional.

The most important point though about extended counts is - so what? So what if it takes a few days to count? What problem does this cause?

Quite a lot of this is just factually wrong. We do have postal voting, for people with disabilities, for people who are in education away from their polling station, for people who are away on business at the time;

Postal voting was extended in the DBS bye election for Covid reasons.

Our electoral system is very solid, and yes, the 'anoraks' who get to physically see each vote as it comes out of box play a very significant role in making sure this continues into the future. You're welcome.

And this is exactly how we ended up spending €60-€70 million on an eVoting system that had no business case - no actual purpose, no objectives to improve anything - just change for the sake of change. Be careful what you wish for.

You are still stuck with everyone else does it..... and yes there are criteria for voting I can use the same argument for removing all age requirements for it would you agree with that?

No, I've given my reason why we should do it, and backed it up with the fact that other states allow it because of the reason I gave.

Let me try an analogy for you, lets say im born in Dublin and I move to cork for an undetermined amount of time but I may move back to Dublin in the future, I move my registration to Cork and get to vote there for the Local Authority but why shouldnt I still be allowed vote in Dublin for my old Local Authority?

You answered this yourself. It is different because you are allowed a vote in the LA you reside in. An Irish person who is resident abroad or even abroad on business loses the right to any vote.

that's simply the price they pay for moving abroad?

I didn't know that the innate right to vote has a 'price'. Silly me and all other EU countries. How foolish are we.

Using extremes to prove a point is foolish and not worth the bytes it's written on.

In fact it doesn't prove anything at all, apart from how some people have odd interpretations of reality.

Quite a lot of this is just factually wrong. We do have postal voting, for people with disabilities, for people who are in education away from their polling station, for people who are away on business at the time;

Yes, this is a new development.

My point is that this should be extended to all citizens who want to avail of it, not a special few.

On e-voting machines, the issue there was not that the concept of e-voting is flawed, but because our Civil Service makes a pigs mess of most things it touches. The tech is there and it can work, but most people have no idea how it works, so they don't trust something they cannot understand, touch or see, much like the concept of vaccines or climate change tbh. The same thought process.

Jesus its like you only read half the posts. And you still haven't given any reason bar others do it and "its the right thing".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Amd you're pointing out the most important point about any change to the voting system

"but most people have no idea how it works, so they don't trust something they cannot understand, "

If the electorate don't trust the voting system, then that ,surely, could undermine our democracy itself. I understand how the voting system should work, and I have enough knowledge and experience of computer coding to believe that , technically, it could be an improvement. But, in the one experiment we had in this country, the software was copyright and we could not see the code. We were expected to trust a foreign software company with our votes without being able to see what was actually happening. i would prefer to put my trust in 'the anoraks' as you call them, to overlook the process.

Prove that unfettered non resident citizen representation is a good idea.

You're proposing a change, up to you to prove its merits

• Advertisement

The same arguments were made when the suffragette movement kicked off in the early 20th century.

Yet, we gave women the vote because it was the right thing to do.

Advertisement