Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Disagree. The name of the show is Succession. We find out how Logan Roy was succeeded and the show pretty much ended.

The brief shots of each sibling was very telling and said enough.

Roman seemed content. Shiv upset but doing what she had to do for survival. Kendall devastated , world caved in and contemplating life.

For me it ended perfectly.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shiv sabotaged herself, lost all her power, misplayed her hand…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

They all sabotaged themselves. Kendal and Roman sabotaged Shiv by not going ahead with the plan to sell and then pushing her to the side, Kendall pushed Roman to the side then Shiv backstabbed Kendall. Only Conor seems happy but he has a new wife that doesn't even seem to be want to be in the same country with him. Actually all four of their personal lives look like disaster zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did they ever officially cancel the plan for the siblings to buy Pierce with the GoJo money?

I'm assuming it is dead but I don't remember on screen seeing it canned.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. After the argument between the 3 of them, Kendall has lost everything, Roman realises it's all bullsh*t and no longer cares, and Shiv decides to go back to Tom and essentially hand him the crown.

Shiv places her hand on Tom's in the car, but doesn't clasp it or interlock their fingers. They're with each other, but not fully together.

Roman was on the verge of a panic attack when Gerri had come in to sign her payoff documents to avoid the lawsuit. We last see him at a bar, ordering her favourite drink for himself, and he has a slight smile to himself. He's unburdened himself from the pressures of it all.

Kendall ends up walking alone in a park, being followed by a man who can easily be described as "his father's shadow", and sits staring out at the water. We've previously seen him floating face down in the water when he was at his lowest points, and floating face up in the water when he was on the rise. Now he's outside the water staring towards it. He'll never have the company, the thing his whole life was being aimed towards.

I really don't think there was any more to say about the characters. We know the family has broken down and will likely never be together again. We know none of them are happy, though Roman's ending is probably the more hopeful of the three.

• Advertisement

Unpopular opinion but I found it fairly meh - however I found the whole season fairly meh over all. Too repetitive, the incoherent jargon started wrecking my head. Series one (after a slow start) and series two - amazing, I was obsessed with the show. Series three great mostly, but by its end and this series, I was gradually in "zone out" mode.

That doesn't change how much I admire the acting (particularly that of Brian Cox, Matthew MacFadyen, Sarah Snook, Kieran Culkin and Alexander Skarsgård - just sublime... sometimes utterly chilling) or the brilliance of the writing. I may revisit series three and four.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Shiv mentions it to Kendall and Roman shortly after arriving at the mother's place that if Matsson won the vote (with Shiv thinking she was going to be CEO), Kendall and Roman could still do the '100' thing the three of them had been planning on doing, she'd sign over her rights or whatever. I think the Pierce deal would have been part of that. I don't think it was officially canned (the whole season takes place over a few weeks at most) so I don't think they ever fully pulled the plug on it, but it was likely put on hold until the GoJo deal was finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Totally disagree about how it was a crap ending. It ended perfectly, we didn't need anymore info or to see how they were after a few days. The whole point was for us to come to our own conclussion about them. The writers gave us just enough info at the end but not too much that it dragged on afterwards.

Succession ... the Roy's didn't succeed ... THE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,863 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do you not think that Shiv changing her mind at the last minute after being backstabbed and now viciously hateful of Mattson was stupid?

A little but it's also suited to her character. Plus she only looks after herself and I think she thought taking the pay off and being with Tom would benefit her more in the long-term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Only Conors wife had a successful conclusion. Gets Logan's apartment and rid of Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,863 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She was disgusted by Tom when he admitted he was the new CEO, hated Mattson and voted in favour of Mattson. That's completely against the character that was built up over the years.

As you said she did what suited her best and she was in a position of power by voting against Mattson.

It made absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That would be a different show.

Fingers crossed. I'd gladly watch another 3 or 4 seasons of these characters or even some of them engage in more corporate skulduggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Shiv was jealous of tom getting the position. She had to side with Matteson when it dawned on her Ken isn't fit for the job. And I think it was more about that than giving it to Matteson/Tom.

She said she loves him but he's not good enough.

Getting back with Tom is the part that doesn't make sense (to me) but she did make a stab at it before he became CEO.

I need to rewatch what was said between them though.

I think Shiv majorly regrets her decision almost immediately. She just couldn’t bear seeing Ken win, voting yes makes no sense. She was smiling and laughing seeing Ken’s face when he was freaking out…. then she votes yes and she is all sad face, she had no control of her emotions, she is now a subordinate to Tom and Matsson, is she now even below Greg ? She blew it !

Maybe she'll actually take the time now to be a good mother!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Endings are hard to get anyway satisfying, I didn’t love the ending but it wasn’t bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

So now it's over what was your favourite moment in it. Mine would be when Roman was trying to explain to guests at a dinner table he read a book on the electric circus😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fairly run of the mill finale, no surprises in it which was a bit disappointing but it wasn't a great season anyway.

It was time to wrap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

Roman sending dic pics to logan instead of gerry was outrageous and so uncomfortable and the fight between tom and shiv was compelling tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

I thought it was the best season of the lot. Tighter, more focused, much better pacing, superb writing and performances. Every episode seemed to bring a surprise of it's own and send the eventual outcome in a different direction again. The presidential election night was a sharp satire on Trump. Every character had their own arc and were given time to develop their own persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭robwen

Hasn't she got something like $3billion dollars from her share of the sale, hardly a bad place to be if so, she has nothing to do with Matsson now as she's gone from the company is my understanding

Oh my god what Roman said when Shiv announced her pregnancy. Hideously disgusting yet hilarious. Kieran Culkin was utterly brilliant. So appalling yet so funny. And weirdly likeable and sympathetic at times for someone who could be so extremely vile. It was absolute sexual harassment of Gerry.

Strangely I think the previous seasons were much tighter and more focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I wouldn't call it a red herring.

I don't think it matters why a cognitively impaired old man wrote it, what matters is that it sent Kendall completely off the deep end and into catastrophic failure by the end of the show.

The letter served its purpose.

Tom and Greg's testimonies at the hearing about the cruises. The discussion on the yacht after where they're all sitting around very politely saying who should be the one they think should go to prison.

For the more serious moments, the dinner between Logan and Kendall before the mother's wedding when Kendall is trying to get paid out so he can leave it all, and the really long scene from Connor's wedding where Logan is dying and they're on the phone to Tom. Just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ending a show about who will succeed someone on who actually succeeded them is the logical place to end it.

The show gave us a definitive ending, Tom won. It is rare nowadays to get that. Ending it on Logans death and leaving us wondering would have been cheap. Giving us a flash forward on how the Roys deal with fallout from it could have been done but I am glad it wasn't as them no longer having the controlling stake in Waystar changes the entire dynamics of the show.

You may not like the ending. You may not like Shivs change of heart. The dramatics of it happening in the Boardroom were a bit OTT but the decisions made by every person suited their character. Nothing was out of place but some things were exaggerated in the finale. I certainly thought it was a pretty good ending to the show. The most logical person to win it, won it. It was by no means "crap".

The last season of Succession is some of the best TV I've watched.

Do Tom and Greg love each other more then any of the Roy siblings love other ? Definitely a more effective partnership that is also capable of forgiveness….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I think Shiv changes her mind because with Tom as CEO she can keep a tenuous grasp on the succession through her and Tom's child. With Kendall as CEO that chance is gone forever. Roman says this in the boardroom brawl when he says Kendall's kids are not the real bloodline.

• Advertisement

She sold her share of the company, she has no voting rights, it’s over. She didn’t change her mind because of Tom, she just freaked out seeing Ken in her Daddy’s chair…

Advertisement