Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Options
  • 27-05-2023 10:11am

Possibly the biggest scandal to hit UK broadcast media in decades.

Phillip Schofield has admitted having an affair with a much younger male ITV employee while he was still married and revealed he is stepping down from all roles at the broadcaster.

His admission of the relationship, and that he had lied about it, came in a statement published in the Daily Mail shortly before his agents also revealed they were parting company with him with immediate effect.

Media reports suggest that Phillip Schofield worked with the child, who was a runner on This Morning, when they were a teenager. But that a relationship with the teenager only happened when the teenager became of age to have a consensual relationship.

Former employees at ITV, such as Eamonn Holmes, confirmed that this was common knowledge among the elites at ITV, but nothing was done. Including Holly Willoughby. In fact, some former employees claim that they did report it, but that they were fired instead.

So there's a whole potential cover-up, and Schofield's agents also parted ways with him - suggesting that this story might just be the tip of the iceberg. Because if everything was completely above board, they would have had no reason to part ways.

It seems history is repeating itself again, of powerful people in the media getting away with things whilst everyone else looks on, or brushes it under the carpet.

Threadbans

RNFoxtrot

StevenToast

rapidash_2023

Citizen Six

Gusser09

ceadaoin

Ibunnae

Jack Daw

Eircom_sucks

recode the site

Robert Nairac

Beechwoodspark

Boggles

BorneTobyWilde

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Morning Show on Apple+ may have wrote the script for this scandal

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

One again, the ignorant equating homosexuality with paedophilia. Welcome to 1973

As a person who wears my "woke" credentials (belief in equal rights for all) with pride, you see me coming to his defence? You see me throwing him under the bus? Or do you see me waiting for facts before making my mind up on the situation.

A typical look at the rightwing hate mongering type using any excuse to "trigger" the "woke". Easy and pathetic

And if he is then he deserves to be punished to the full extent of the law. Absolutely! You see people disagreeing? As someone who people might call "woke", if he is guilty, you won't hear me complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....fcuking hell, this is what a scandal is nowadays, who gives a flying fcuk!

No, it's about people in positions of power abusing that position and the ensuing cover up.

His sexuality is irrelevant here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Where was it suggested that the lad was 10/11 years old when they first met? Also, a 10/11 year old would not be a runner on a TV programme.

This tweet says that they met when the lad was about age 15 and implies that he became a runner at age 18. That is much more plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

He was tweeting him in 2011 iirc making him 15ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yeah I just popped in to write the same! Except Phillip is no Steve Carrell, and Holly is no Jennifer Aniston :D

In 2011 when they first met, he would have been 14 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Golden boy is heading for a major fall.

Is this going to be another example of a guy being known about for years but everyone was afraid to speak out.

Everyone seems to be turning on him now. Which is a bad sign.

• Advertisement

Plus there is the super injunction.

Actually I do have one more comment. But mainly tangentially related.

I remember watching that sequel to "Life on Mars" (Ashes to Ashes. Didn't hook me as much as Life did but anyway. There was an episode where they were following a case about some well-loved TV celebrity who was always running in bright clothes raising money for charity and how it was uncovered that he was a paedophile. This was before the Saville case broke. But it was so obvious at the time that I remember watching it thinking "God, he's exactly like Jim'll Fix it. Imagine if...". Later of course it came across as if someone was trying to highlight this commonly-known "secret" of Saville

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its been known for years, his whole coming out thing in 2020 was a complete sham, was obvious at the time what was really going on.

I cant believe its taken 3 years for him to be finally exposed, there were rumours of injunctions and libel so papers probably held off.

You knew when his talent agent dropped him, he was done for.

You don't let go of one of the uks top stars unless there is bad news coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So he wasn't 10 or 11 years old as per your OP. The story is already potentially bad if the lad was 14 or 15 when they met, no need to exaggerate how young he was.

And from what I've been reading, my OP is correct.

They started working professionally when the child was 14-15, but they first met in person when the child was 11-years old.

No, see above.

Listen it’s well known what he did. Chose a different hill Grover. This isn’t about homosexuality and Schofield isn’t a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

What he did in private with other consenting males is his business, cheating on his wife again his business. Cheating on his wife with other men still his and her business to deal with but don't come out as a victim to be made into a hero. Johnathon King is a pederast and he still claims his only crime was for being gay. You as an established name over the age of 40 hit on young males aged 14-18 you're a pederast a pervert. I'm 51 and could easily hit on upper 6th formers outside of school old enough to drink and have R-plates. Any idea what their dads would do to me? A pederast is a sexual predator as was Johnathon King and Micheal Barrymore, schofeild is just another 'Boo hoo poor me I'm a gay'

Not in the same league of depravity as Saville Rolf Harris and Glitter who were child molesters, Schofeild may prefer older male teens young men but it's still creepy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Maybe he doesn't want to be in the limelight or want to have his relationship dissected in the national media.

Regardless of how long Schofield waited, there is a lot that feels wrong about the story, especially given that it would have been going on in the post-Operation Yewtree era and during the MeToo one.

There was a clear imbalance in power and the long-term waiting and/or potential grooming involved are a concern, if true.

This story has quite a long way to go, though the constant referring in the media to a 'young man' is unsettling.

Had Schofield met this guy in a nightclub when he was over 18 would there be quite so much use of this phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

I remember him handing that list over to David Cameron. The older I get, the more I wonder about those that ‘protest too much’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This website has collated all the info

https://limegoss.com/phillip-schofield-timeline-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Timeline of events:

https://limegoss.com/phillip-schofield-timeline-events/

I just love the fact that the theatre company Schofield sponsored is called the 2-Faced Theatre Co!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Wow, I had been reading the headlines about Schofiled's departure from This Morning for weeks and was wondering what was all the fuss between him and Holly Willoughby. Why did they have a falling out and why did it lead to him leaving the show? I thought it had something to do with his brother, but it looks like this might have been the real cause of it. It would certainly explain why Holly has distanced herself from him. That's if she knew about all of this beforehand.

Oooofffff. That timeline's really rough. I will put my hand up and admit that I didn't know he was THAT young. Thought that was just innuendo... That is NOT good...

Even the most benign interpretation of his activities falls far short of the ‘holier than thou’ image he projects

Schofield has had a super injunction in place from around the same time the lad was moved from being a runner on This Morning show. That injunction is due to expire soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So he was ready to sell the story of Schofield being gay,but not a mention of being groomed?

Also the young man was the one asking Schofield to follow him on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I never once thought he had a holier than thou image, it's always been known that he's difficult to work with and to me the man just oozes insincerity.

‘Holier than thou’ is somewhat synonymous with insincerity, in my mind at least

• Advertisement

No, Schofield had followed him without being asked to. The then 15 year old tweeted him saying thanks for the follow but Schofield never replied in a tweet. This happened twice on 2 different accounts.

Then the lad turned 18 and had another Twitter account and Schofield interacted publicly then.

Advertisement