Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There’s no evidence he mentored this person age 12- if there is Id like to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

But there's no evidence that PS was unprofessional. We don't know to what extent he was involved in the young lad getting hired and from what we've seen it was the young lad who followed and engaged with PS on social media initially.

He got him an interview with ITV- he got the job; he started working with PS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Phillip Schofield followed Mathews twitter only 5 days after he’d turned 15, Matthew had not asked him to follow him or anything, this does not look good. Less than two months later, Phil went up to the 2Faced Theatre company to do a Q&A session there.

Matthew Mcgreevy joined the 2Faced Theatre company when he was 10 years old, Phillip Schofield was a Patron of the 2Faced Theatre Company.

From LimeGoss

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

He was born in 1996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

He probably put in a good word, I suppose the question is, was he pulling in favours for a friend or had affair already started at this stage.

Or he put in good word with an eye to starting an affair and then denied said affair to ITV when it became reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

ITV did not respond to the BBC when asked about a report in the Sunday People that some daytime staff were planning to go to HR next week to threaten a mass walkout over a series of "ignored complaints".

It's looking very, very dodgy and everyone is scrambling to distance themselves from it.

IF the above is true, and IF there is evidence Matthew was underage when the affair started, ITV will have a lot of explaining to do. No doubt heads will roll.

That’s still not evidence “he hired and mentored him since aged 12” as you have said

• Registered Users Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So like...errr David Walliams...allegedly...

No idea how he still has a career at all with the litany of things he has done, lot more to come out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ITV must have not investigated very well if everyone knew, had sussed it, just took Phil and the young fella's word, if nothing was wrong then why the lies, it sounds like Phil got him work on This Morning then got him fired and removed to another ITV show when it turned sour, no one is coming out of this looking good even Holly, Dan, Ruth and Eamonn etc., as the gushed when "brave" Phil came out

Well feel free to suggest alternative word ... patron?

He was part of theatre group Scofield was a patron of from that age and...

The Mail on Sunday first reported the pair had met when the presenter was giving a talk at a theatre school which the 15-year-old attended. Schofield later arranged an interview for him at ITV before he started there, and "some time afterwards" the affair began, the paper said.

15 is not 12- and he didn’t arrange an interview until this person was 17/18- so you agree PS didn’t “employ or mentor” him from “the age of 12” as you stated above.

Pity you couldn’t get yourself to admit that rather than try and side step your previous claim- the thread and other online media has enough unfounded posts without adding more.

You are the one adding to it here... there was an 'and' in my original post you seem to have missed so I will break it out further here:

Schofield was instrumental in getting him hired. I did not say he was hired aged 12. It is documented in the limegoss link that was at 17/18.

And - Schofield was a patron from at least age 12, with established contact in that role from 15.

https://limegoss.com/phillip-schofield-timeline-events/

I do not rule out that other information may come to light on connections between Schofield and Matthew before he was 18.

Eh you posted:

“It is someone he had a role in hiring and mentoring professionally all the way back to when they were 12.”

He didn’t.

Asked and answered twice - I already explained the use of 'and' in the sentence and clarification of patron for mentor. But I will go back and edit the post as if you read it that way so might others.

It is someone he had a role in hiring? Yes?

And someone he had a professional connection as patron to from when he was 12? Yes?

That doesn't mean he was hired at 12.

The main point being that Schofield played a key role in getting someone hired. Someone Schofield then went onto have an affair with and deny it.

Someone Schofield had contact with when that person was underage - and appears to have initiated that contact in at least one instance. That Schofield as patron of this organisation put himself in a position where he could make such contacts with underage wannabees. That could be seen as developing a connection with a view to a future sexual relationship.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Oh dear- the young man in question appears now to deny ITV ever questioned him about his relationship with PS- ITV are done for now as they only yesterday claimed they fully investigated the alleged relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ITV are denying it, but I think its inevitable now that 'This Morning' will go the way of The Jeremy Kyle show and be axed altogether.

It is a toxic brand with no effective production and editorial leadership. It is best by lies and deceit, as well as unprofessional behaviour.

They could easily repackage the basic magazine content in some more modern form at a future date, probably in the Autumn. But honestly I don't expect it to air past this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Again, you're just making that up. It's ok to say you have no actual proof, you just dislike someone so you're basing your assumptions off that. But in the real world, only the creep is at fault here.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Phil used his power with ITV to get the young fella a job as he wanted to crack on to him, Phil must have been seen as Mr. Untouchable Gold by ITV that he could get colleagues fired too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If this is about the same person referred to several times then he seems to be early to mid 20s now

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The timeline is detailed here clarifying what is known to have happened at what age

https://limegoss.com/phillip-schofield-timeline-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I will find the clip when he came out, where Holly says, '' I knew already, he told me ''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You were suggesting that she knew who he was with. You don't know that and have no proof. She said she didn't know and he lied to her. I think I'll believe her if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭SlowChris

There are obviously massive questions hanging over Philip now.

We already have Eamonn Holmes blasting him and others in ITV.

“ITV knew what sort of man he was... and never once took action to prevent him controlling or taking advantage of his position over young people.”

That's a pretty damning statement to make. If this was a simple "Philip had a relationship with a young employee and lied about it" then I don't think Eamonn would go this route with such venom.

The obvious questions from how I see it are:

• Why did Philip come out as gay in 2020? Was he found to be in a relationship with the young buck by some at ITV and felt he needed to come out before he was potentially outed? The rumours of him banging a young stage boy or runner or whatever you call them came out immediately. Somebody knew!!
    • How soon after the young buck joined ITV did the relationship start? We know Philip helped him get a job in tv after he was asked.
    • What age was the boy when he asked for help in getting into TV?

Whatever about the age difference, which I think is disgusting, they need to do a serious check into whether Schofield used his position of power to groom the boy. Imagine a 58 year old male manager of a ladies u-16 football team and then when the girl turns 18 they start a relationship. It's not a good look at all.

I'm also curious about why all this controversy kicked off in the last few weeks. Why did it come back into media attention?

It seemed to coincide with Philips paedo brother getting sent down.

Confirming Holly knew for a very long time. Also somewhere in this clip is Holly saying '' it's important to stress no one is forcing you to to this'' weird statement, also Phil saying '' there is no one else ''

It's all lies

So Holly knew he was gay, and when she said '' no one is forcing you out'' she was speaking of '' that guy''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Matthew was good friends with Simon Schofield from a young age, that's obviously how Philip was introduced to him and 'apparently' only started their relationship when Matthew reached 18 years old. However that sounds fishy... apparently Philip was caught snapchatting mostly 18-20 year olds at 1-2am back a few years ago too, so there's that..

There are photos of them all out together partying/ at bars etc (Philip,Simon and Matthew) as well as tweets back in 2015. Someone posted the link to the timeline of events previous in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I do hope Holly doesn't get dragged down by this, Holmes has more weight and he's already pointing at the problems.

I dont think she ever had much influence on the show or outside it.

I dont watch the show, never saw it since PS started.

Advertisement