Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Maybe so it flies in the face of the narrative of our ravenous demand and p1ss poor supply, god knows how much they would of dropped if we had adequate supply

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does it?

Surely, given interest rate rises, the fact that prices are dropping at relatively insignificant levels is an indicator that demand remains substantial?

Since about 2016 we've been hearing on here that this time next year, houses will be worth 20/30/40/75% less than they are now, and the argument against this has always been high demand will put the brakes on, if not prevent drops. Surely, what we are seeing is evidence of this.

I mean, you literally said it yourself, prices would drop more substantially if we had adequate supply, i.e. demand is putting the brakes on drops.

Maybe the drops will speed up if demand drops further, the next 3/4 months of data will be interesting to look at, particularly as we head to the point where YoY negative may become a reality.

Its not insignificant (it may be at a small amounts at the moment) not in the face of our well documented shortage of housing supply. Dublin has seen 6 months of prices drops. At no time in the last decade has there been a period of 6 consecutive months of price drops in the most desirable county to live in within Ireland. You can bury your head all you want and I called this , this time last year I stated prices would start dropping due to access to cheap credit no longer being available. It may of been you and a few others who said no way prices will just continue to rise. So we have seen 3% drop in prices in Dublin over the last 6 months where will be this time next year with at least 2 more interest rate increases coming down the pipeline before July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

"It may of been you and a few others who said no way..."

Just as an aside, what does 'of been' even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭combat14

losing a lot of money in 2008 crash is precisely why he is getting out now .. more than likely doesn't want to get burned again this time out 15 years later

• Advertisement

It may of been this poster as in I am not sure if was this poster or not.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭hometruths

I think it was you who had referenced modular homes a few times?

Is an idea that you think has merit r have you seen it specifically discussed somewhere eg government, lobbyists, media etc?

I did mention that in the context of trying to alleviate the current housing issue I suggested that the building modular homes should be ramped up they are cheaper and quicker to get on stream and would bring some stability to supply.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭hometruths

I agree, was just curious if it being actively considered/promoted anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I think most of us know that the correct grammar is "have been", but you're not winning any rhetorical points here by being an arsey pedant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I obviously didn’t give details of the specific property. They did say an affidavit would need to be signed by the vendor as well as proof including esb bills.

I hear the odd rumbling about it but it has not taken off yet hopefully we will see more being built over the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Blut2

You stated Ireland is a "high income tax country". Chart number one shows how little income tax is collected in Ireland vs most other developed countries. Factcheck #1

You stated "A person earning 300k in Ireland will pay massively more income tax than in the UK and Germany". I posted both figures that showed effective tax rates for €300k are within 3% of Ireland at that income. Factcheck #2

You stated "A person earning 300k in Ireland will pay more income tax than in almost any non-Scandinavian country in Europe" - which is completely wrong, as proven by the figures for France[53%], Belgium[58%], the Netherlands [47]% etc vs Ireland's 47%. Factcheck #3

You stated "Ireland is already bleeding high income earners", when Ireland actually has significantly positive net immigration for people earning over €100k. Factcheck #4

You stated higher property taxes would "discourage downsizing", which is just wildly incorrect in the real world. Factcheck #5

You suggested as an alternative "you could increase stamp duty massively which would deter foreign money". The UK has tried this (8% stamp duty for non-residents) and it hasn't worked. Its been shown to not work as well as property taxes in the real world. Factcheck #6

I understand that you're clearly quite emotional/angry at the prospect of paying a lot more tax in future, but the least you could do is make yourself aware of relevant statistics before throwing out arguments. Its probably good if you actually are bowing at this stage, as 6 completely factually incorrect statements in a handful of posts is a very high noise:signal ratio.

To end on a helpful note I'd suggest you could at the very least start with wikipedia topics on the subject like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_in_Europe - they're very accessible for someone with no economics education and they'll improve your knowledge on the topic substantially.

On the plus side, and to drag this vaguely back on topic, these much discussed property taxes will at least help reduce foreign investment in the market and encourage downsizing, which will help reduce prices somewhat. We're just probably going to have to wait until the current corporate tax bonanza ends and the state needs to find new revenue streams for them to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭DataDude

None of those fact checks are things I said or prove what you think they prove, but anyway I digress.

I’ll skip the economics lecture from the guy hoping taxes on others go high enough to get himself a free/cheap 4eva home. I’m doing just fine on my own thanks.

Who knows though, maybe if you keep praying enough money will trickle down to get you sorted. Best of luck with that! You could always try Cuba, no big mean high earners to take all the houses there on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ApeEvolved

I usually wouldn't listen to a word on such websites but once you see media narrative start to shift, the pace of drops can be expected to pick up.

A lot of silliness seen last year was driven by fear.

It's not grammar, it's fairly basic English, and I was pointing it out thinking the poster wasn't aware what they were doing.

Arsey? Good grief

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I don’t disagree but just to add my own experience, every viewing I’ve been to is rammed and most houses going over asking considerably. I don’t know what to think at this stage

Yes, I'm seeing no drops, and looks like increases if anything in Dublin. Demand is still huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

While it would appear prices will drop as a result of interest rate hikes these self same interest rate hikes will be felt by developers further squeezing profit and by extension leading to a decrease in new supply.

With the way the market is incentives maybe needed for developers to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Blut2

They all have literal direct quotes from your posts in them...

I guess we can add your claim you were done posting - "Either way there’s no point engaging beyond this" as Factcheck #7 eh?

I'd be quite willing to bet I've earnt more, and paid significantly more tax in my lifetime than you :) I understand its frustrating being proven repeatedly factually incorrect, but I really would suggest you educate yourself on economics a little more, even if only just to a wikipedia level. It'll help you understand the Irish property market far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Ozark707

In the US the prices of new builds are coming down faster than 2nd hands. Builders over there need to get cashflow running again so have no option. With a few more IR rises it will be interesting to see what happens to the demand side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Factcheck this is a property thread…. Maybe look it up on Wikipedia and educate yourself……On a serious note give it a rest with your factcheck and stick to property

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

There was a small soft patch towards the end of last year+ jan&feb where some houses sold for bargain prices when looking at it today.

last 3months was bidding wars and I’d expect house prices to rise again in 2-3m time when these transactions hit the land register. Based on offr live bidding website I’m starting to see some pockets in the market that have no bidders again (red bricks ber exempt, apartments in Dublin fringes or without gfch, 60/70s houses in places like templeogue needing work), but ask prices are generally higher.

But then some transactions on there are bonkers like the tramyard exchnage apartment 30% above ask, mount st annes milltown 2bed apartments selling +10% vs march land reg entries etc

https://offr.io/property/8-tramyard-exchange-27-carmans-hall-dublin-8/6656

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Irish residential property prices on clear downward trend. That is based on facts across prices from whole market rather than individual examples or anecdotal stories. The rationale is obvious and seeing impact of rising interest rates. There is no sign yet of crash and that too makes sense given demand is strong and economy is going very well. It is a good thing for property market to return to more normal low single digit inflation. Market in Cork City has cooled. Properties being relisted after sale agreed, agents doing lot more work to get it sold. But it is still holding up fairly well and good houses in good locations will always have strong demand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That looks bizarre? That's the area and property type I was looking at/purchasing 2 years ago and 565k for a 2 bed apartment in that area is just wild..

I never saw anything above 400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

According to Makhlouf the increasing of LTI was in part to address the negative consequences of IR rises on supply.

Below scheme also bridges apartment "construction viability gap".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What price point are people seeing the bidding wars at? I'm bidding on a probate sale that will be up around a million by the time it's bought, renovated and extended. There is very little interest in it, I bid on a probate sale in the same area at the end of last summer which went mental. I'm wondering is it the 4x salary change having any effect, I don't think that change would make much difference at my price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Inchicore has been complete boom town for the last while even as other places have cooled, i suspect it might be due to the new hospital opening up close by. Adding to that its seen by many as a better alternative to the other somewhat affordable south Dublin spots (Harold's Cross etc) but with some buzz.

Below is recent sale agreed properties in Inchicore:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Villa05

Housing supply is not the central banks remit so rather odd that Makhlouf would make such a comment, one suspects political interference in central banks business again.

The apartment scheme is not going to work. FTB are at family formation age and are not going to buy an apartment. They have learned lessons from the last crash, government, on the other hand, no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭DataDude

If New Builds are to start falling whilst construction costs are increasing, we need land values to fall substantially or else building will just stop.

My fear would be land owners will just sit rather than sell into a falling market which could then cripple supply. The zoned land tax is essential to stop this - I hope it is rigorously enforced but I have my doubts.

New housing starts were strong in Q1 after they previously looked to be weakening, which is very promising.

Advertisement