Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭MacDanger

@bucketybuck, moving this over here as per mod note on the championship thread

Let's say there's an accountant about whom allegations are made that he stole money from a client, the guards investigate but no charges brought; fair enough he's not guilty.

Let's say you have done some previous work with him so he has some credit with you; then you need an accountant for your business and have the option of hiring that guy - you ask him about the previous allegations and he says "sure the guards investigated that, nothing was ever proven" and when you press him on it, he just repeats that statement rather than saying "that was all lies, I never stole a penny" - do you hire him?

If the first statement is all he can give me, I don't. It doesn't make him guilty but I'd still prefer not to take the chance with my business

Are you going to answer the above or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Amazing to me that jugde and jury on Twitter believe every single word of an alcoholic woman who the courts deemed unfit to have custody of her own children without question.

Straight to twitter jail for Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There is a precedent in the GAA for public denial of serious allegations. At the time of the X Case it was strongly rumoured across the country that Paddy Cullen was the man at the centre of the case. The day after he became aware of the rumours he appeared on The Late Late Show and clearly and categorically denied what was being said about him. He also gave interviews to the print media that weekend and very quickly cleared his name and restored his reputation.

Brian Kennedy and Ronan Keating did something similar when rumours were swirling around about them.

Yet, in this case, people seem to think that he cannot deny the allegations for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Best post I have seen for a while - a post that makes sense anyway.

But it is hard to imagine Rory Gallagher being subject to decades of abuse!!!

You're getting very tetchy there. Calling another poster "a strange lad".

It's a beautiful sunny Friday afternoon. Why don't you take a little walk down the park, and take long deep breaths. Good for a tense soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Could Paddy Cullen point to allegations that had been rejected to a lack of evidence? Could be point to winning custody of kids? Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

This is a strawman.

What difference does it make to whether he denies it or not?

If he didn't beat her, all he has to say is the statement I have repeatedly posted.

Why would he have to prove anything to deny it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

And we all know why specific allegations aren't categorically and individually referred to and denied. Even the most glib of us can't pretend that it's not odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭celt262

Meaningless analogy.

Either he beat her or he didn't.

She has said he repeatedly, viciously beat her on several named occasions.

She didn't say "he threw a wine bottle in my general direction. She didn't say "he accidentally lashed out and scratched my face"

She said he broke her bones, and bit her. Bit her, like a rabid dog.

He hasn't denied a single one.

If he never beat her, say it.

No man would fail to deny he bit his wife's face and broke her ribs.

I'm a GAA fan, but I would draw the line at whoring myself to defend a scumbag who bites and beats women.

You are doing some amount of ducking and diving to find reasons he can't make a simple denial that he is a wife beater,

• Advertisement

You're assuming knowledge of things you've built up in hour head as facts but you've nothing to back it up. You're taking one side but you've no evidence? How can anyone take that seriously?

No I'm not.

The facts are;

1) Nicola Gallagher has accused Rory Gallagher of a litany of violence of the course of many years, including breaking her bones and biting her. She made these claims in a public forum.

2) Rory Gallagher has not denied these claims.

I'm taking neither side, I am asking why any man would not deny these extremely serious allegations.

On wife beaters, I only have one side.

I don't know if Rory Gallagher is or was a wife beater, but I do know he hasn't denied he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In the x case someone else was convicted in 1992 and served three years for having unlawful carnal knowledge of x. The same person was convicted in 2002 for kidnapping and sexual assault of another young girl.

Paddy Cullen could be confident independent objective evidence would support his claims of innocence. There is no equivalence.

In the Mark Pearson case the crown prosecution brought a completely meritless case to court, it would appear largely on the agenda driven political motivation to be seen to improve the prosecution rate for sexual crimes, and were willing to put a clearly innocent man through the wringer.

Life isn't always black and white. Sometimes it's a (very murky) shade of grey.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

The SDLP has called for the Derry GAA manager Rory Gallagher to step aside before the county team play Armagh in the Ulster Final on Sunday following serious allegations by his former wife.

Cara Hunter, an SDLP Stormont Assembly member for East Derry, said the severe allegations against him need to be addressed.

"I think it's really important that he steps aside," she told RTÉ News.

Mr Gallagher had issued a statement through his solicitor saying he had been "made aware of a social media post by my estranged wife in which she has made a number of very serious allegations against me".

He added: "Allegations against me have been investigated and dealt with by the relevant authorities."

Nicola Gallagher claimed she had been the victim of domestic violence over a period of more than 20 years during their marriage, in a social media posting earlier this week.

In a statement issued this afternoon, the SDLP's Cara Hunter said she did not believe it was appropriate for Mr Gallagher to lead the Derry team ahead of the Ulster Final.

"He should do the right thing and stand aside," the statement said.

It added: "This is a test for the county board and for those in positions of leadership. There is only one acceptable outcome."

The PSNI confirmed that it investigated a number of reported incidents and files were submitted to Northern Ireland's Public Prosecution Service (PPS).

In a statement yesterday, the PPS said it had received two investigation files from the PSNI in January and June 2022 and a decision was made not to prosecute.

It said prosecutors decided there was "insufficient evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction".

In a statement this afternoon, the Derry GAA County Board said: "Derry GAA condemns all forms of domestic violence.

"We encourage anyone who had experienced domestic violence to report it to the relevant authorities immediately."

In a statement yesterday, the GAA Ulster Council's provincial secretary and chief executive Brian McEvoy said: "While we cannot comment or make judgement on any specific allegation or allegations, Ulster GAA does not condone any form of domestic violence.

"We are proud to have joined with White Ribbon NI in pledging to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women. We encourage and support anyone who has been a victim of such abuse not to suffer in silence but to avail of the statutory and voluntary support services that are available in the community."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Her having a problem with alcohol which meant that she was not capable of looking after her kids does not mean that she wasn't assaulted by her ex-husband so I'm not sure why you seem to think the two are directly related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yep he could come out and say all that. But what difference would it make? You and others will still find him guilty anyway. Maybe he is guilty, maybe hes not?

Or maybe he just wants the whole thing to go away, maybe because hes guilty of all the accusations or maybe because hes not and just want to protect his kids from the media storm without adding fuel to the fire.

Maybe he doesnt want his kids to see in public their mother and father going at it, maybe hes looking past his own selfish thoughts that you keep advocating "well if it was me id defend my name to the death", would you even if it meant putting your kids through more and more sh1t? Maybe you would?

What should he address? Every accusation on every single reddit/social media/whatsapp message etc etc. Then something else comes up and its "well he said he didnt do that or that other thing but he never denied this thing here". Its a never ending circle you get yourself in to.

Rightly or wrongly legal advice in these types of cases is that you dont comment over and above the actual findings of the case, simply beacuse youve nothing to gain, people who have deemed you guilty will still deem you guilty, ive no doubt had he said all the above you would still hold the same opinion anyway.

Trial by social media has to stop imho, if hes guilty and hasnt been found out yet, he inevitably will.

Yet another lad mixing up guilty/not guilty with a simple denial.

I haven't found him guilty of anything. It wouldn't matter one jot if I had.

He has been accused of heinous violence against his ex wife.

He hasn't denied it, despite releasing a statement about the allegations.

That's it. Nothing to do with guilt, trial by social media, or anything else.

"At no time during our relationship did I subject Nicola to violence"

See how easy that was? Won't make him guilty of anything, won't make him innocent of anything, won't upset his lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In fact, in all probability, she developed her alcoholism due to the years of abuse she received from the degenerate

He doesnt have to deny it, thats the thing you keep missing?

What does he gain by it? Keeps NattyO happy?

So even if taking your approach meant more painf or the kids family etc, you'd plough on anyway?

Not as childish as defending a man who won't, for whatever reason, deny that he has bitten a woman and broke her ribs, presumably because of of some misplaced sporting loyalty.

But there is no evidence that she was assaulted. The connection between the alcoholic and being an accuser is that an alcoholic is obviously not of sound mind. And is more likely to fabricate a story as an act of bitterness, in a drunken rage. We might find her retracting that accusation. I'm sure RG and his legal representative will be working behind the scenes to clear his name on this. If the "libel" word is ushered to her, she may backtrack.

Won't make me happy or sad.

If you believe that one shouldn't deny the most heinous allegations, allegations that if true makes one an utter gutter-dwelling scumbag, then you are a strange person indeed.

If a member of your family posted on Facebook that you were a paedophile, would you feel no need to deny it?

Id say cop yourself on and stop talking rubbish, Id keep a copy of it and bring it to my solicitor, what would you do? ANd we know he definitely ahsnt done that in the past? We know he hasnt already denied it on some social media platform previously?

Perhaps he has already denied it as per your case above? Do you know he hasnt? You do know he ahs already denied these allegations in a court of law?

So you would plough on anyway even if it meant more pain for the kids? Nothing to gain from denying it but keeps the public row going and affected the kids, noticed you havent asnwered that question?

So.......you'd deny it then?

Exactly.

He hasn't denied it, his statement is available for all to see.

I haven't answered what question? If you mean "what about the kids, I did in a previous post.

Protests are being planned for the Ulster final. This story won't go away anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He mentioned winning custody in both jurisdictions, but with him living in Donegal since around 2011, and them only separating in 2019, I imagine the family home was in Donegal at that time so I don`t get why he would have also applied for custody in NI. But even so, there was no investigation in NI until 2022 it seems, so I assume if custody was granted in NI it was before then.

There doesn`t appear to have been any accusations made against him or investigation in the ROI, even though his statement appears to suggest he was cleared in the ROI as well as NI.

In both jurisdictions his wife being an alcoholic at the time he appears to have been awarded custody with no accusations against him would have been enough for that to happen

• Advertisement

He could point out that he was innocent of the allegations made against him.

Why hasn't Rory Gallagher done the same?

You are correct on one point though, there is a big difference between allegations being rejected due to lack of evidence as distinct to being innocent of the allegations.

Advertisement