Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult ADHD Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you mind me asking where you find the HSE link to this CBT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I went to my GP and she arranged it all for me. I was put on a list, and about 4/6 months later I started seeing the therapist. It's on medical card as well.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Pending some results from GP, should be starting medication in the next few weeks.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for sharing info on where to go for assessment. It was most helpful :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Went for my first appt with the doctor on the consultant's team (new mental health team for me as I'd moved area) and gave background, explained the difficulties I'm having and the doctor said he would like to start me on quetiapine.

I really had to suck up my frustration at that stage, as I had been very clear that the mood disturbances and anxiety I experience would be best served by treating the ADHD. If I try medication for ADHD my hope is that I can manage my time/procrastination better to implement routines and use the strategies I have learned (but can't organise for) to help anxiety/low mood.

I have medicated the depression for years, and the anxiety, neither made a difference, but rather made things worse at times. I have never had medication for ADHD specifically, and after a full 20 years attending the mental health services, I feel like it's worth a shot at least, considering I fought for years to get the assessment, which came back as clear-cut as you could get.

Doctor then said the consultant is the only person who could discuss/prescribe medications for ADHD (I had already flagged this with them but he was just out for the day) so I am to go back to the clinic next week to speak to the consultant, and trying not to worry about another negative experience.

Frustrated with the process already.

Notes from the initial assessment I had had with the mental health nurse on their team were either wrong, or interpreted wrongly by the doctor I saw. Also missing huge relevant points. Asked about my mother having had anxiety, I said yes, but my father has ADHD and Autism, so that's probably more relevant, he had no record of that in the notes in front of him.

The fact that I'd been medicated before, not written down. The fact that I was hospitalised in mental health facilities, not noted. No record of my having been in the services for 20 years. All of this was discussed with the mental health nurse, she just didn't write them down.

Doctor seemed very doubtful, and asked had I spoken to the mental health nurse about these 'facts' as 'those facts would be recorded if they were spoken about and he would have to look for evidence to prove them'.

Sometimes I wish there was a collaborative approach with the note-taking. Whether through attention being lost momentarily, or poor note-taking habits, or just plain old assumptions, I feel like there are often so many inaccuracies written down and subsequently taken as gospel.

I'd be in favour of the factual notes/history (as in, not the notes on how you present maybe, they're subjective and probably liable to upset some people) being given to you to look over before the session ends in an initial assessment, because big things can be missed. That then can slow the process and ultimately affect outcomes, especially if you don't know they're working off misinformation.

Anyway, hope everyone's well. Sorry for the rant. Feeling vulnerable and frustrated, and apprehensive about the next steps, but I could be catastrophising, so I'll wait and see how next week goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

For anyone that might be interested, there are two good courses worth keeping an eye out for, for the adult ADHDer

the UMAAP course - collaboration between UCD and ADHD ireland. The current course is sold out. But they seem to be running them back to back, so well worth contacting the UMAPP team and signing up for up ADHD Ireland updates on event brite. I have heard good things about the course, and its free. Think there is both online or in person.

This CBT for adults, I have also heard some good things, there doesn't seem to be a current course advertised, but again, possibly worth contacting for more info, its €320 for 8 sessions, again, think there is in person, and online available.

(i am not affiliated with either of these groups!)

• Advertisement

I did UMAAP, and I didn't feel it helped me really.

I thought the group was far too large. I think there was over 30 participants on my group, so sharing/connecting can be tough.

The host also has ADHD and was going through a hard time with a pet dying and could have done with someone else leading, imo.

There was really poor technical errors as well. Videos not playing, sound disappearing etc. This could all be sorted by hiring someone to assist with those aspects ahead of the session.

I'm grateful I got to try it and it's early doors, but it needs a significant improvement.

Saying all that, if there was a fee for it, BUT it was limited to 8 participants, I would sign up tomorrow. I get a lot out of meeting other ADHD adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Jane Hehir was one of the women who spoke on the Liveline special about adult ADHD with Katie Hannon, she spoke very well about it all, and mentioned the CBT for ADHD that she does

Probably well worth a shot for someone looking for help, thanks @Feu !

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Any further update or personal experiences with Dr Maria Rubeo? Or the dronline team in general? Seems to have availability as soon as next week....but I'm a bit taken aback that they can diagnose in 50 minutes. Do they ask you to fill out forms/questionnaire beforehand?

My son was diagnosed with ADHD last June with VHI paediatric clinic and it took a lot longer than 50 minutes. I'm 48 but have had a history of low mood, poor memory/concentration etc so am thinking of getting an assessment. It could just be life catching up with me,maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,877 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Diagnosed as Austism

The doctor told me 'put it on my CV' and I refused as they don't understand the hiring policy in Ireland and an employer seeing that on a CV is an instant pass imo

Job market is already difficult without making it more difficult. There's lot of people out there who interview badly who could be great workers vice versa. Worst thing I got myself into was 'Turas Nua' as they completely messed with my head

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

Recently been told to go for an assessment and having trouble finding somewhere to go. Does anyone have any info on adhddoc.ie? Tried them several time but no joy, can you call out to them does anyone know? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Period Hotspod

Complete and other waste of time. I phoned texted and emailed over a 5 month period. Not one response. My RSD began to take it personally. I had a referral from my go forwarded on through health line still no joy. I wrote offering to call to reception personally hoping that would elicit a response with none forthcoming. Completely unprofessional given that their potential clients are in a vulnerable state with mental health issues.

in my own opinion a stock reply of “we are unable to take bookings for the next few months because we are having trouble spending the money we’re making from the service” would have been better than nothing.

I’ll pm you, bear in mind that I’ve yet to come across any psyc., that won’t give you the result you want. I.e. if you want a false positive you’ll get one.

Thanks that'd be great. That's definitely something I don't want so would like to go somewhere that will do it properly.

I have the info ready 2go, but was hospitalised Monday, breathing problems. Message later

Saw this new entry on ADHD Ireland website:

Dr. Leena Naughton | Email: clinic@leenanaughton.ie | Address: 2-4, Merville Road, Stillorgan, Dublin, A94E3F8. (Referrals must come through your GP. Please ensure your phone and email contacts are included)

I emailed the secretary, she said the wait is currently 14-16 weeks

€650 at the moment but secretary said " I anticipate that this will increase later in the year." So same as Murtagh at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

I managed to get in to see them last year and I think they became quickly overwhelmed, they’ve recruited someone to manage the schedules and emails which has made contacting them much easier. I’d recommend emailing direct if you can. I personally found them to be fantastic once they were able to manage their communication. They complete a full health screen with bloods at the start and then you see a GP, I met Eimear who is extremely knowledgeable, kind and helpful. The following meeting is with their psychiatrist, and then follow ups scheduled with the GP again to make sure the treatment is heading in the right direction. Once everyone’s happy you’re signed over to your GP and a follow up is scheduled a year later.

Edit: I completely understand the frustration trying to get through, I felt the same after the first appointment and thought I’d wasted my time for a while. There’s clearly an enormous need for more services in this country. I hope everyone gets proper assessments soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Has anyone booked an ADHD assessment on DrOnline.ie? It seems to be €290 and far cheaper than other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Slither - I think it is actually 590 + 290 as there are 2 consultations

• Advertisement

Going to go with booking an appointment with Dr Rubeo. I've read it's cheaper to email her directly? Is that the email address on the website www.adhdconsultation.ie?

Will I still need to visit a GP going this route?

No. Drs surgery. ECG is to check heart, bloods to check thyroid etc. fairly standard. Not having them will delay prescription. GP’s usually 20 for bloods and 30 for ecg.

15th may, bbc1, panarama,

The explosion of ADHD diagnosis in the UK and the amount of private clinics giving affirming diagnosis after half hour online consult.

prescribing unnecessary medicines. If you have ADHD put it in your calendar with a reminder and hour before and a reminder the day before.

If you don’t have ADHD, you won’t need to.

I fear this will do more harm than good from neuro-typs. I can see a lot more of, "Oh sure that happens to us all" or "Well, you can't trust a diagnosis, I saw it on telly"

……….and it was like the BBC not Virgin 3

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

I'm an autistic adult recently diagnosed with ADHD - I knew I had ADHD for years, but have decided to seek treatment so I went to a psychiatrist (Rubeo) to discuss it. I had previously had a consultation with another Psychiatrist and had filled in screening forms.

Many people who are new to a psychiatric diagnosis are suspicious or surprised at how it's carried out. It relies on your honesty. So of course you could try to fake it, but when it comes to describing ADHD and how that affects your life I think it's hard for anyone who doesn't experience it to convincingly describe it. In time to come there will be more deterministic testing like brain scans to look at the volume of different areas or indeed DNA testing to look for some standard markers for Autism and ADHD.

You have to also trust yourself. Just because there are many people realising that they might have ADHD doesn't mean it's just 'fashionable' but rather that there's finally an explanation for something that they've always known. In my family there are several autistic kids and when we look back at the pre-diagnosis years we see all the 'bit odd' family members from decades back. They were left to fend for themselves and were often quite lonely and misunderstood. I hope this new era we are in means that people like us get more understanding and accommodation while we navigate a world that is increasingly more challenging for us because of the myriad distractions.

I won't be tuning in to Panorama. I've enough to deal with. I'm going to take my treatment and see if it helps me deal with the chaos. What someone believes or doesn't believe about my diagnoses won't change me.

Finally - my ADHD / Autism gives me some unique and valuable abilities for my job. I can come at problems from a perspective that lets me see solutions that might otherwise take way longer to reach. I'm hoping the judicious use of medication doesn't take that from me, but instead let's me focus when I need to so I actually get something done for a change :)

Rock on my fellow oddballs

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I was diagnosed by her in 25 mins. I found it worryingly quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Yes,I agree. That's my fear. Been reading mixed reviews of her.

Did she just ask a few questions....the diagnose? Do you have to get bloods and ECG before medication? Has she recommended medication?

Advertisement