Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone on here know what's involved in learning to scan sheep and where would one learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Our scanner here told me he went to Scotland for a few day course to learn. After that it was just experience and making mistakes!

I remember seeing ads for courses doing scanning on cows a couple of years ago. There was a practical side where they used to scan cows in a factory. Can’t remember who ran the course though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Had a visit from Mink a few days ago.One has recovered the other drinking but not standing. Last time we had a problem was 20 years ago. Put pipes in ground with fish. No result from this.Would a light shining on field be any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was in the mart . Saw a ewe go through whos red raw with scab. Surely theres a duty of care to stop the spread of it?. All sheep after be going through the same chute etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Absolute hate seeing that, high probability alot of sheep up the chute after her has contracted it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Bad form on the marts part to have her for sale……likelihood is more then 1 of mart staff noticed her on way in.

Could have a quiet word with manager later and someone could ‘have reported her to the office’ and manager could then get onto owner of sheep to put her back on trailer before sale.

And any other sheep from same person as they probably had it too,to a lesser degree.

Of course some customers get special treatment’ if they are in mart each week wheeling and dealing and paying Commission……so Manager might conveniently ignore the sheep then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

It’s a bit late once he’s in the mart. Should be a fine for such antics. Could cost a farmer hundreds of euro to fix the problem

it seems it’s becoming a problem again

Anyone any tips on dealing with orf while scabivax isn't available, have some real bad cases here and then some mild enough. Using bactokill at the minute and it is helping but it's hard to get to them all. Anyone any experience of the tubby orf buckets, are they effective and worth the cost at 40 euro a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Got a fairly bad dose of it in my lambs this year, thought a few wouldn't recover from it. I only caught them once and used the bactakill orf paste. Gave a shot of penicillin to the really bad ones because I was afraid of a secondary infection and put out the tubby buckets. The lambs with the orf went mad for them and the ewes didn't go near them. A week later it had all pretty much cleared up. I'm putting a lot of it down to the buckets but it might not be them that did it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Them orf tubby buckets are the job. Make sure there’s no thistles too. Can break out even more of the lambs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

i have found metacam and oxytet quite good for bad orf, the pain relief in the metacam allows lamb to stay eating and fight the virus

We have always and ever used burnt black oil for both orf. It does help after a few times painted on whether its the sulfur in the burnt oil who knows - something done here for generations, bit like the holly for ring worm

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Has anyone ever scratched the lambs ear with Scabivax instead of the inside of the leg? Any issues?

When doing fec on lambs do they have to be done through your vet or can deal directly with a lab? Not for sheep improvement scheme or anything just my own management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Tileman

Directly with the lab

What's people thoughts on target weights for singles and twins at 8 weeks for low land sheep with terminal sire

• Advertisement

Seem to have some great thrive off lambs this last few weeks here and hopefully the humid weather will push grass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Hi all, I've an option to rent 60 acres at 250 an acre. No entitlements with it so would need to lease some.

Question is, will I make this in sheep farming. Land is of good quality but needs lime and maybe reseeding.

I'll have it for long term lease so have plenty of different options available to me. It also has good sheds and facilities.

I'm thinking if I keep about 150 ewes on this, rent in entitlements, cost 2500, claim subs of 10,000 with SIS. Get into acres next year. (I already claimed it last year but wasn't renting it fully) so I should get in. Would be an extra 4/5,000.

What return, if any can be made from sheep??

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Where is the 10000 in subs coming from ? Most be high value entitlements ? And also what is costing 2500? You will probably have to dig into your subsidy for the first few years for sure between building up stock numbers and improvements to land so your subsidies will be eatin into but if it’s a long lease and your will to put sweat into it for first few years .. then long term it would work . So go for it if you understand what I’m saying. If inputs go down back pre 2022 levels and finished lamb price stays in around the same price wise as last year . It is achievable to do okay out of it . But first few years is going to be grim. Best of luck

I already stock built up. I have 140 sheep at 12 euro a head in SIS is 1,680. Last year I leased in entitlements for 2,500 and got back 7,000 direct payments, all in. Plus fodder support scheme of 1,000 would bring subsidies up to roughly 9,680. (That's the 10,000)

2,5000 is for leasing the entitlements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Its very difficult to predict sheep farming atm. You are getting the land at good value. If the present trend continues with sheep prices vrs costs (a fag box calculation) you will be subsidising your enterprise from your subs which in turn you are subbing these from your own money.

Times change so this could be all different this time next year but there is a huge exodus in my part of the country so that may help returns (we have been saying that for a good few years now). The fact that the factories can go to the UK on any given week and buy a few wagons to process here doesn't help. Shortage of sheep meat here might not translate into good prices because the market is determined by what France can pay (they import from Oceania too).

You might look at a small bit of Diary Calf to Beef in order to spread the risk IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

With the average lambing date here the 20th of March when do people reckon is the right time to go in with a nematodiris dose?

My average was around the 15th March, and done them all with worm drench & minerals last Thursday when the sheep came in for shearing, Most lambs looked clean but there was some starting to scour, drench has dried them up big time. Id be of the opinion if there are some scouring then do them all, no since waiting till they all have it.

Does anyone know what wool is going for this year?

Have a ram here that was housed all winter and fed nuts and hay, left the shed in great condition but since being put out to grass he has melted and is now just skin and bone. Vet is coming out tomorrow morning to have a look at him. He's a 2 Yr old Suffolk. Other rams in the group including his half brother have had no issues since turn out. Anyone any ideas as what could be wrong.

Was dosed for fluke, injected with dectomax and done for minerals before going out.

What fertiliser would you put on a field requiring N and K

Soil results came back and 1 field has low k, everything else is ok so going with some urea this week.

Planning on cutting hay of this field, I shut it off today

• Advertisement

Bit of copper Pure bred Suffolk’s don’t get enough copper from sheep nuts /drenches

Advertisement