Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Re battery swops....

1) you don't need to buy it.....

2) we are already at a point with EV charging technology where with correct infrastructure and best current EVs. 1000 kms in 10 hours is possible - even if the car is empty at start of trip.....

So the need for efuels and hydrogen is considerably reduced....... Ditto battery swops.

3) the way battery swop works is that you roll up with your battery that is low on charge... It's swopped for a charged one.

The battery you arrived with is rapid charged after it comes out of your car and can actually go back out in another car - in other words a big proportion of the battery stock for swopping is coming in and out with the cars.

Nio from what I can make out actually lease the batteries....

4) where battery swops like efuels have a place is in those edge cases where 150 miles in 10 mins is a critical disaster.

Ambulances spring to mind.

5) worth noting that the Nios can still charge in the normal way so don't need battery swop stations - they will charge at Ionity and eCars etc.

You not buying battery swops doesn't mean they don't become an option technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well if you can everyone to drive the same EV with a roller-skate design, and one with a easy to swap battery, and put several replacement batteries around the country in various locations each with its own lift, infrastructure, and man it 24 hours a day with skilled technicians...then that sounds like a runner.

This article goes into the details beyond the headlines and its a sobering read...is it possible yes sure. Is it workable....probably not. And the investment level would be astronomical

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/09/12/battery-swapping-revival-could-threaten-electric-car-charging-networks/?sh=50ac733a1b1b

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It'll be a cold day in hell before Apple Car lets you interchange the battery with a Sony Car. Not going to happen, no way, nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,710 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I love the taycan, i really do, but for the base model vs a top spec I4 M50 I'm taking the bimmer every time.

For me I'd want at least the 4S with the bigger battery, mission e wheels etc to make the taycan an option. Every time I spec a taycan on the website I get 25k plus of options that for me are non negotiable! They really are different classes of car tbh. I'd prefer the "lesser" badge with better performance vs the sheep in wolf's clothing base spec taycan.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wouldn't call it a sheep in wolf's clothing. Sure it is not mega fast, but it's a very large 5 seat sedan. Not a sports car. And it still feels and drives very much like a Porsche should. Standard spec is shockingly poor, but that applies to the BMW i4 too.

Base versions of both the i4 and Taycan are reasonable value for money. Anything optional extra or higher power or spec level and BMW / Porsche are having a laugh at your expense with ultra high margins of up to 100% on these extras 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s all about personal preference, but I have to disagree with you. The Taycan just looks so much better both externally and internally. I’ve never driven the i4 but it looks similar inside to the 5 series I had 8 years ago and to my daughters 1 series, it’s boring. If you want a car that stands out, it’s the Porsche, if you want a BMW saloon that’s electric, it’s the i4.

I’ve had an 530 msport so I know how good BMWs are to drive, but I was mightily impressed with the Taycan I drove recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,710 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but theres 50k plus between base versions of the i4 and the taycan! A lot of extras in both but especially the beetle are non optional extras like 150kW charging, 90kWh battery etc. Some of the specs I'd want theres actually not much between a 4S and a Turbo considering the performance battery is standard on the turbo.

To be honest I'd prefer the RS Etron Gt over the taycan anyway but thats just personal preference

I don't want a car that stands out, unless it justifies it in my head. I'd prefer (my dream car) an e60 M5 with 520D badges over say a BMW I8.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Personal choice, after a few 5 series, I came to realise that though they are superb cars, they are just common as muck and I got bored with them, the i4 is a smarter looking version with an EV battery, but they really could have been more imaginative with the interior.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i4 is too small to be compared to a 5 series. It’s tiny and very compact inside due to its ice platform.

But I agree is a lovely car. But substantially smaller inside than an EV of that price and size should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I have ordered a GTS ST, still waiting for a build date but its taking forever :(

Spent a long time going through specs and trying to avoid over spending on them, I think the GTS comes fairly well kitted out though. Still happy to listen to opinions on spec as its not 100% finalised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Adaptive cruise and electric charging door.

yeah. id certainly like it. its 1659euro which is a serious chunk for something that should be standard! had it on my old i3 and loved it. i wont drive enough on motorways to justify it but it is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is that for the charge port, why would you bother speccing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Because it's an obvious plus when selling on. It's obvious to any potential buyer and it's less than 500 euros

Noise and thermally insulated glass is a waste of time - ruins your phone signal and your elfow tag does not work or a zapper for a gate etc. Also never hot enough here for insulation. Also more heavy. Car is quiet without it and most reviewers cannot tell the difference.

Ambient light is a gimmick and a waste of time. I had it and never used it, its kinda tacky to have coloured light in the car.

Get BOSE, the base stereo is not great. Essential option on a GTS

Get seat heating.

Forget the electric charging covers, you get better brake cooling without it as the vent is real and its one less thing to go wrong.

Those wheels are lovely, but the stock brakes are a bit small behind them, get the PSCB or a more closed wheel.

Get GTS interior package, its weird without it and too oppressively black.

Carmine is a lovely colour.

This would be my Carmine GTS ST spec http://www.porsche-code.com/PRGP2A29

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

I noticed today 113 of these registered so far this year, 13 911s.

I am guessing the 6 Carrera GT are 911's mislabelled too 😃...still Porsche are selling cars to beat the band this year. Taycans are also droppng the average age of a porsche customer big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Disagree and as Fitz said its something to break. I have them on the Etron and they are a gimmick imo.

Good feedback thanks.

Insulated glass - was thinking from quietness point of view not thermally. I put a big weight on quietness so would pay extra for it. phone signal is a decent negative though il have a think.

Ambient light - thats good to know thanks

BOSE - problem is it takes up more boot space for the sub? any idea how much? we have a golden retriever and the boot isnt huge as is so very wary of losing more space there....would add though if its not a significant loss of boot space

Seat heating is standard for the front seats, the option is to add it to the rears

Elec charging covers i wont get, agreed

Brakes - will have a think, agree its nice but again its a lot for a marginal gain

GTS interior is nice but its prohibitively expensive imo for some red stitching

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I believe there’s a 231 registered 911 Sport Classic & a GT4 RS among the cars they’ve sold this year. I’m more surprised there’s nearly as many Cayennes as Taycan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So am I. It's getting long in the tooth now, I even considered getting one on classic insurance LOL. Also it's not even a Porsche, just a rebadged VW Touareg. Nothing wrong with that and I like that most of the early Porsche variants are now dirt cheap and have a V8 petrol engine

That is very true, I have seen them both in the metal, and very nice owners too. There are about a good few GT3's out there. Good few 991 GT3 RS too. GT4. GT4 RS and GT3 are all good value for the cars they are, but you have to be a very good customer for your number to come up. I hope mine will come some day, fancy a GT3 Touring. There is a 992 GT3 RS coming in too. I do the Porsche club trackdays and the metal some of the guys have would boggle your mind....and all on irish plates.

I am doing my part to keep the numbers up anyway.

Cayenne is a good option, lots of space, hybrid power train is strong and keeps tax down a lot, lovely interior and a mature platform. I see a lot of them around although it would not tickle my pickle. Taycan will overtake it....but the new EV Macan is going to sell like hot cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fitz your car is absolutely gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

what is the current lead time on a taycan ?

I spoke to them around Nov last year and got a deposit on a GTS. I have no idea when it will arrive but not for several months yet. At the time they could get a 4s in about 3-4 months and a RWD quicker than that i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

They have build slots in Nov/Dec. Delivery in the new year, for a 4s anyway.. They were stressing actual slots, rather than just a booking.

I’m seriously mulling over..

Could be dead tomorrow.

If you have the funds, you like the car. Feck it, go for it!

• Advertisement

Advertisement