Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Like I said, IMO it’s absurd to consider buying a car without being able to option it up, my opinion, I can accept if someone else has a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,089 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sure, option it up, what's another few grand so it can park itself, that's essential for a real Porsche owning experience 😂

I do miss my Boxster BTW. It had none of the above. A real man's car to drive with tough long clutch and fairly unforgiving gear changes and no fool's helpers like traction control or any of those modern yokes. But was every bit as much a Porsche as the latest and fastest ones. Probably more so as a driver's car. Unfortunately it had a dinosaur engine (albeit a beautiful M96 flat six) so it was dead slow and irrelevant compared to fast electric cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Id tend to side with Unkels pov here, I’d suggest a lightly optioned base taycan will retain more value than almost anything else and most of the stuff you option up you don’t need (understanding that you might like it of course ). Give me a relatively basic taycan over a m50 with all options any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

i doubt anyone buys a Taycan because they need one.

If you want the base model, fair enough, personally I don’t option a car with what I need, I option it with what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I'd agree with Cyprus here .

A lightly speced base model with decent alloys ,metallic, porsche sound,tint,ambient lighting around the 100k mark is long term better value than the bmw.

I suppose its all down to personal finances and the extra 15k over the bmw seems high initially but 6 feet over the ground and all that !!!

Who needs any car 90k or 100k its just a bug us car fellas have if ye can make it work do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The only options you need on the taycan are things that are not options. 150kW charging, 22kW AC charging, performance battery plus. Wouldnt bother so much with adaptive cruise, lkas etc if you're trying to cut cost but the additional charging and the larger battery pack are non optional IMO.

That's the plus about buying a brand new car, you get to pick what options you want.

Personally if the choice was between a base spec RWD taycan and a full optioned I4 M50 in the blue color (I call it matte estoril blue but I don't remember the correct BMW name), I'd pick the bimmer every time. But neither are cheap so you pays your money and takes your choice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Revenue write off options to zero after 4 years, this is why I would import at the 4 year mark and appeal my VRT and get it back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

22kw AC is nice but not essential at all. If you are home charging as most people are 95% of the time its pointless, only saves time occasionally. Very expensive option, I have it but could easily leave it out for the use I get from it. 150kw booster is cheap and may be handy once the Tesla network opens so year thats a good one. I would be happy enough with a no option Taycan just with upgraded alloys. Its comes with Porsche handling as standard and thats really what you are buying and cannot get with another car EV at the moment.

Throwing yourself on the mercy of those prats is always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Did you option the torque vectoring or dynamic chassis control Fitz? I’ve seen quite a few reviews that say don’t bother with those options, the 4S handles brilliant without them. RWD Taycan doesn’t get the adaptive suspension though….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Yeah definitely, I would pick the same as well.

Have Torque vectoring and Rear wheel steer, dynamic chassis is a bit pointless with a car with that low a center of gravity. PTV is cheap enough and does help handling a bit. Adaptive suspension is another good one to have but you have to draw the line somewhere if you are working to a strict budget.The dealer reccomended for future desirability that sunroof, alloys and sports chrono were the must have options. I didnt option any of the self drive options as I actively dislike them bar dumb cruise control. Of all the options I have the one I get the most pleasure out of is the massage seats. In 10k km in the car I have used the 22kw and been glad to have it maybe twice and for nearly 2k thats really not enough. I have yet to make use of the 150kw option. I have seen base Taycans with base paint and base alloys with 5k of inno drive options on them because that what the owner values, and so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Any clue on what current delivery times are? As bad as other EVs? Tempted by a sport turismo gts early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Ireland does relatively well on delivery times compared to other parts of Europe! If they haven’t sold their allocation for Q1 next year already, you might be lucky in getting one in Q1.

the bad news is, unless they have changed policy, they would only sell a GTS in Ireland to someone trading in a Taycan or 911, worth ringing & asking to confirm

I would think your lower paragraph is correct.

On another note I was driven in a base taycan, no options, even the white paint, basic interior and no options at all....100% perfect car, drove very well, had all you need and nothing felt all that much noticeably different to my own in traffic driving. 100% nothing wrong with a no option taycan and would actually make me think twice if reordering one...these are not really sports cars after all no point pretending they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A non-optioned taycan is still going to be one of the nicest cars on the road. Agreed, they arent sports cars, I think GT probably describes them best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I have the base version with a couple of options added on & it is more than adequate. Yes, other versions are faster etc - but as other point out it’s more of a GT than sports car. I actually think the springs on the base suspension suit the car better than the air suspension on higher models.

i briefly flirted with the idea of a Taycan GTS, but couldn’t justify a jump of nearly 50k to the car I specced up.

I am getting itchy feet though, at nearly a year it’s been the longest I ever owned a car 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It was a year ago alright, I nearly bought your old M3P from Joe Duffy Select! That was a mint car too.

Did you get the PT coated too?

Post edited by Gumbo on

the M3P was two years ago would you believe! Yes, had a titanium coating put on the Taycan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Feck you’re right as i was in the silver P85+ 😮. God that was quick.

Ended up in another P90DL for 9 months then chopped that for a M3P 🤣

So driving a RWD Sports tourismo for the next few days as a loaner, will revert back with opinion on whether you need more than this, seems a strong view that the RWD is sub par. Also getting in a car I am so familiar with but a different spec is putting some perspective on the options that are "essential" for me. I am not sold on the looks but it does have more space for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,089 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Savage motor, but not a looker compared to the normal Taycan. Looks alright in the pictures but very disappointing in real life I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm an outlier here. I think that is a lovely motor (especially in that colour).

Is it a 5 seater or 4 ?

Not a fan of the ST either, but can see it's definitely more practical. Interested to get your thoughts after a few days with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Much prefer that version over the regular shape too. The alloys on that one are gorgeous as well. Gentian blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Totally biased view here !!, but think the CT version looks meatier that the sport turismo .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is that a new model fitz I thought it was 4 s only in that guise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Just went on the configurator fora jolly. Those alloys are over 4K!

would make a dream daily driver.

• Advertisement

Yeah Cyrus it's a rwd. Yes gentian blue and the alloys are lovely. Over specced for a rwd, has pan roof, Bose, ambient lights, chrono, air suspension, a bit ott imho.

I have issues with the drive compared to my 4s that's nothing to do with the power. Power is fine if a little...linear. no kick in the back. But will hold off till I have thought on it a bit. But I am funny in that I care little for tech unless it improves the driving.

Having seen it in the light, I think to proportions are off, prefer the cross tourismo if you have to buy the ecto 1 version.

Advertisement