Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭carsfan2

It’ll be interesting to get your take on the rwd version.

there’s a discussion within the i4 thread that a base Taycan with no options is better than the i4 m50 which comes pretty loaded and has more performance.

any chance of some more pics?

I think it’s a stunning looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Does that have the performance battery fitzy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It is. Very strong spec for a RWD. Comfort access, power charge ports, bose, chrono, expensive wheels, pan roof, air suspension, 18 way seats, big battery. For me too much on a RWD. I dont like the look, somehow the rear is too long and looking at it there really is not a whole lot more room in the boot. Gentian Blue is a great colour, I am biased.

As a car to drive around in its excellent. Comfortable, fast enough. Base interior is fine, although there is a noticeable amount of plastics compared to the extended leather. Olea smells and feels nicer too but not enough for the price delta.

Only problem I have really is the dynamics. I have RWS and Torque vectoring on my 4s and the turn in, and getting power down is noticeably better. Hides the weight much better too. The RWD is a lot more understeery. Brakes are a lot softer and less powerful. I assume as there are only rear motors this is due to the regen being halved, the discs and calipers look a good size. However Braking is a lot less confidence inspiring, you really have to get into the pedal a lot more. This Taycan RWD feels a lot more like a fast ICE car. Acceleration is not as instant and aggressive as the 4s or a tesla but its smooth as butter, faster than anyone needs, comfortable. Dynamically is not as "Porsche" as the 4s but still better than most. I had expected the RWD to be closer than it is to the 4s. Most of the reviews said its was the "drivers choice" thats a load of bollox, its nowhere nearly as good to drive around a corner, and it understeers which is surprising but I suppose safer.

My review is that the RWD is perfect if you are not a boakcroad terrorist or wannabe race driver. However speccing it like this one is 100% pure stupid. No options, except alloys and your away. Everything else is unnecessary. If its a sports car you are after look elsewhere or get the GTS or look to another model, as these are GT cars really. Sports tourismo is not for me, I want a car to look good, and for me this just is not as nice as the coupe version.

More pics as requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,091 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Last thing I'd have expected is that it understeers! Can you switch off traction / what's it like then?

I am not comfortable doing that in a loaner in this weather, but the TC is certainly working overtime, but understeer it does, and I can really feel the weight too. May be the TC is cutting the power and giving that feeling alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

Interesting comparison, I think that’s a beautiful car. It’s still my preference over the “saloon” one. The colour and alloys are really class.

What has you in a loaner?

Seems from my poll of friends its about 50/50 on the looks, good to have the choice. Mine is in for a replacement part, but parts shortage has me waiting a bit longer than expected. Dont usually take loaners but wanted something for Christmas. The Porsche Centre chaps as always oblige.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

@Fitz II - did your car get a heater failure? Very common by the sounds of it & Seems like mine has it now 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Regarding heater failure my Taycan heater failed xmas week and is with Porsche waiting for replacement.twenty days and counting

Latest update is replacement heater expected some day next week.12 Taycans with same issue sitting in Joe Duffy as of this week.

Porsche keeping silent about this worldwide problem only saying a minority of MY 21 cars are affected.

No loaner car @lukas8888? Or Porsche paying you for a hire car? If neither I would first have a very robust conversation with the dealer or then Porsche Ireland and if that was leading nowhere I'd rather keep my car and drive it with my coat and gloves on and the seat heater instead of not having the car for weeks on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Hi Unkel, As i live in the North West my car was transported to Dublin and they gave me a hire car Audi A5 for the duration.

If i went myself to Dublin they would probably have given me a more exciting loaner.

i got my car back after 6 days - similarly car was picked up from me. I got a 530e as a hire car dropped to my door. Car was dropped back to me & hire car collected. So as frustrating as it was, can’t overly complain about service

3 month free trial of comfort access & adaptive lighting now available on my Porsche portal, if you haven’t it specced on your car

You can't fault Porsche Ireland service. They are very accomodating. My Taycan is back and so happy to have it back.

Any fellow owners able to help me out with the regen operation ?

I have engaged auto Regen when i get in and can feel it slowing the car down on hills etc but i have no green regen screen showing anything and range does not seem to be affected.

Also any way of leaving the sport sound on all of the time?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What’s your SOC when checking the regen value?

Fully charged and set regen button on menu to auto.

Someone mentioned a green surround on the speedo dial should show ?

If it’s fully charged the regen has no where to go. So the function is removed h til the battery is depleted enough to take the regen power.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know - leave auto regen on & enjoy the car 😍 auto regen is never going to gain you much Kms back - it’s also quite fussy on the Taycan and turns itself off when the car goes over the slightest bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi all, considering a 4s model. Just looking at the options, there is a 150kW on board DC-DC charger to increase maximum charging when charging at 400V rapid chargers up to 150kW vs 50kW as standard. It doesn’t affect charging rate on rapid chargers capable of supplying 800V.

Is this option worth it i.e. are there chargers here that this would work on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pretty much every non Ionity HPC in the country is 400v not 800v. I'm also pretty sure that a couple of the early Ionity installs, cashel possibly, are 400v too.

I'd consider this a non-negotiable need as opposed to an option.

Its a cheap option and worth getting as it will save you time on a lot of rapid chargers. The option for 22kw AC is another one, but I would suspect few owners (myself included) really use the 22kw ac enough for justify the cost, you are either rapid charging or home charging. 150kw DC is a no brainer and if tesla ever open their chargers in Ireland as they have in most of europe it will be invaluable.

Post edited by Fitz II on

22kW AC, not50kW AC. Although 50kW AC would be great too - could charge on AC43!

Agree otherwise, 150kW DC is probably the first option I'd tick when speccing a Taycan.

Depending on what sort of driving you do, but I would also consider upgrading to 22kW AC charging. Almost all the ESB "slow" AC chargers in the country (there are over a 1000 of them they are everywhere, in town centers, at tourist attractions, at many Tesco stores, etc.) offer 22kW charging and if you're going to be somewhere for a few hours anyway, they are very handy

I used to take my dog for a swim in Bray and a hike up Bray head. Parked at a very convenient eCars charging spot that was rarely occupied (while all normal car parking spaces were taken), parking for free (because it's Co. Wicklow - free parking for EVs that are charging), then charge up for free while I was on the hike, charge up a good 40-50kWh (these are no longer free though)

edited my post to correct error there...woops.

I have the 22kw AC and honestly I have used it once. Every other time I was parked overnight and while I was smug I was sucking 20kw from the charger I didn't need it. Its like a 2k option, so ask how many times you have be stuck charging at 11kw as needed it to be twice as fast, then ask would you pay 2k for the pleasure.

Yeah I wouldn't pay €2k for it either 😁

I had 22kw charging on the Model S’s. Was only useful when Lidl were free 🤣

It would have been useful to me when I traveled to the office every day, free 22kW every day at work! But now that I am 100% remote it's probably not worth 2k. Nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s the kind of thing you’d appreciate on a second hand car but be hard to justify 2k of your own dosh

• Advertisement

Even then it would take a long time to pay back. And in the middle of it, work charging might become paid charging or many other workers will get an EV so there will be queues, etc.

Advertisement