Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Haha, I've only a 3rd of that mileage up on mine... I'm not doing any mileage at all really but when I do use it, I enjoy it. I work from home a fair bit so it doesn't get used for much commuting - its mainly weekend / leisure use!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Standard GTI for what seems like an ok price.

Is sense coming back to the market?

Nice car but I think it being the standard (245ps) manual gearbox car explains the price. I don’t think very many were sold in this guise either so it’s a bit hard to compare. Manual MK7’s were always priced a bit below DSG’s too.

Another issue is, I think the road tax on the standard manual car is bizarrely in higher bracket than the more powerful Clubsport DSG.

It’s not that cheap anyway tbh. They weren’t much more than that new in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The manual seem to sell for a few k less than the auto yet in smaller numbers. I would have thought a manual would appeal more to a hot hatch driver?

Arguably yeah but not with VAG offerings in the last 5-7 years. They dropped the manual box entirely in the MK7.5 R and there's even fewer manual options available in the MK8. And as I mentioned, the manuals tend to have higher Co2 nowadays (and therefore higher VRT/Tax).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness the DSG boxes were always good if somewhat unreliable in earlier forms. Quick and super smooth gear shifts, I wouldn't want a manual GTi myself. The Mk8 centre console looks odd with a manual gear shift too, looks out of place or an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Oh right - I thought they were up at the 55 mark when new, must be the clubsport I'm thinking of

My CS started at around €53K in mid 2021. The manual non-CS GTI was in or around 46-47k.

Prices did go a bit bananas from early 2022 onwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

It's looking like I'll need a new suspension leg, stub and wishbone on my mk7 (not to mention alloys) after hitting a nasty rock. I'm going to go with second hand parts but I've no idea how much it'll cost me, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

I tried a few of these "we buy your car" garages , I was shocked to learn my 2018 R is only worth 30k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

You're easily shocked then. These places that buy your car need to make a profit too. What do you think your 5 yr old golf R is worth?

Not 30 k anyway. I'd say that offer is 5k out .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭User1998

If this is available from a dealer for €37.5k before negotiations, then I’d imagine yours is worth about €5k less. Unless yours is particularly high spec? That one doesn’t have digital dash for some reason

Probably a Jap import.

Used direct sell cheap and buy cheap. A 2018 golf r under 100k Kms will fetch up to 40k. My point was that the car trade will attempt to extract 25% of the cars value from the seller and the same from the next victim.

In the words of k mag , they can suck my balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I did a nice bit of damage to my Mk7, destroyed the alloy & it's going to need a new: suspension leg, stub, wishbone, wheel arch liner and I'm going to need to pull out a bit of the sill that got damaged in the process. Thankfully I've a spare set of alloys, but I'm getting a little bit worried about how much that's going to run me, anyone care to take a guestimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Stick it on donedeal for 40k and see how long you will be waiting to sell it. Quick sale 35-36k is the max 2018s are making. There's some hanging around dealerships over a year not selling.

And the one I linked above from a dealership is still not sold and has been reduced by another €500. I’d imagine actual sale prices for private sales are close to €30k now. Bad for owners but its good to see the market returning to somewhat normality, although we will never see pre covid/brexit prices again.

That one is a bit of a unicorn, it's an Oz import Grid edition, basically a lower spec version they sold in the Oz market, they had no digital dash etc.

But even good spec Irish car isn't making that money any more. 40k for a 5 year old R is mad money. The lower end of the market between 20-25k is what is selling these days, good examples with reasonable mileage do sell quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

Anyone suffer from a leaking thermostat/water pump housing?

I've a 2015 GTI and a small leak from it, been quoted just over 1k from a dealer. They said the breakdown is parts approx. 550 and labour about 500.

I'll call around some others on Tuesday but does that sound like the going rate?

Is there any special bleeding procedure after that needs vagcom or something? (Might tackle it myself if 1k is cheap!)

• Advertisement

Try Daltons in Portlaoise I got mine done for 620 there in 2020, although it was being covered with warranty so didn't cost me anything.

Parts and labour rates have increased since then but you should get it done for less than a grand for certain. Its a pretty labour intensive job alright.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin to recalibrate the front ACC sensor on a 7.5 Golf? Had a very minor front end collision recently and a few days after the sensor stopped working. Diagnostic says it needs to be calibrated

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

That's my motor for sale guys. Let me know if you've any interest.

Cheers,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Really nice, best of luck with sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

No, bit of a mess...a young, inexperienced sales person in JD dealer offered me very strong money for the car but it turned out he had no authorisation to do so!!

Next best offer is a 3 hour drive for me and a logistical pain in the ass so I've reduced the price to as low as I can go before I commit to this journey to sell to a main dealer. Will just make a trip out of it for herself and myself if we have to travel.

Not gonna lie, not a single enquiry received from the DD ad even though it's very well priced and not many available. Still has 14month VW warranty...

Is it well priced though Shane? 52k (your original asking price) is a big chunk of money and not that far off what it was when new! Yes, I realise they've gone up in price a fair bit since we bought them and lead times on anything new are absolute hell, low finance rates are long gone, but still...

I also see the same few 2021/22 CS's and R's sitting with dealers for ages, so maybe they're just not selling as strongly as they were 1-2 years ago.

A private sale at that kind of asking price is a very small pool of genuine buyers.

Did you talk to the likes of Beshoffs or Lewis Motors? They tend to hoover up cars like yours - fresh well spec'd high performance stuff. Beshoffs had a silver 2021 big spec'd CS a month or so ago and it didn't hang around long. I think they were asking 54-55 for it.

I do hope you get strong money for it, it'll reassure me that I haven't lost my shirt on my own!!

I approached pretty much any dealer I could think of which trades in performance cars. Main dealers generally offer more as they sell them for more than independents...

It's priced very well compared to the next cheapest model online and there are not many around.

The offer on the table is very good considering what I paid though. If the same offer was from a dealer which is closer I wouldn't even be advertising it but just trying to save myself a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

A sign of the times maybe lads? I've my 540i up on donedeal a few weeks now, 6.5k less that a same year model from a main dealer that has 15k more km's and an inferior spec. Not one serious enquiry, plenty of the usual DD time wasters alright. Lots of higher powered cars just sitting on the forecourts these days where they would have been snapped up a year or two ago.

• Advertisement

I’ve had a 2018 Golf GTE for sale for months. Priced €4k lower than dealers. No enquires, and no other GTE’s have sold in that time either. I think it’s just anything expensive thats taking a hit.

Advertisement