Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

You're dead right. When soon to be 2 year old examples are still making €60k the used market doesn't hold much hope for anyone trading up.

The 2021 Clubsports for mid 50s on 0% finance were the only value in the MK8s. A few shrewd operators got on that and their cars are probably still worth what they gave for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Am I on another planet or do people actually stump up 70 or 80k for a golf these days?

even on pcp, the figures must be eye watering to pay for and run these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

As Hooch alluded to, these cars - well the GTI Clubsport at least - was a relatively good value purchase ~18 months ago, particularly on 0% finance, and I was one of them.

Since then it’s been a complete shitshow of ever increasing prices, parts shortages and outrageous lead times, so these cars are pretty rare on Irish roads. I‘d say I could count on one hand the number of other MK8 performance Golf’s I’ve seen since I got mine.

I’ve been very happy with my GTI CS. It’s been completely faultless, never seen the dealers other than a first service a few months ago. I’m not doing much mileage though but when I do take it out, it’s great fun. There is genuinely nothing else out there that would tempt me to change. However, sadly, I have a feeling it’s probably the last ICE performance car I’ll ever buy (new at least). €90k+ is completely outrageous. That’s about €35k more than my car was. That’s not €35k better than my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think you snagged a bargain deal there Joe whether by accident or design you’re quids in on that car.

All cars seem to have risen in new price over the last couple of years but performance golfs have gone up insane amounts taking them completely out of most peoples reach.

do you think it’ll be a car you’ll keep long term now?

Yeah I’ve thought about that, keeping it longer term. Certainly no plans to change it anytime soon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Yeah, crazy money! I bought mine new for early 70s at 0% about 14 months ago (performance pack, sunroof and a few other extras).....just before the VRT hike, but still a massive increase on the MK7/7.5! I have seen one other MK8 Golf R, on the very first week I bought my car. I have only seen a handful of MK8 GTIs and even less Clubsports.

My actual factory order is still sitting in Pierce Motors - now that I look at it, the price has dropped from 77ish to 73ish.....they are obviously struggling to sell it: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202111159607997?journey=Search

Just changed my tyres from the Bridgestones to PS4Ss - a far superior tyre but not so economical :)

I can't see myself changing the car anytime soon, and like Joe, it'll probably be my last ICE performance car.

Wow, they still have it?! Ready for March 2022 delivery lol…

Judging by what I’ve seen of their ads on social media I’m not that surprised. Clueless. They’ve a black R up at the moment where the salesman keeps referring to “R-Line”.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Yeah, I'd say they regret offering to give me the showroom car!

Haha - "R-Line": rookie mistake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

My '18 R ticked over 60k the other morning. Still loving the car, had an itch earlier in the year to change to a Cupra Formentor but decided to stick and glad I did. Still some itchy feet and the mk8 is growing on me but far too pricey. Had Revo Stage 1 engine & DSG map and I'd sooner go to stage 2 than change at the moment. Also, much prefer my 3 door 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Got my 128ti for low 50s 18 months, they're pushing 60k now. Like others have said a lot of people are being priced out of trading up to latest gen models. I've chopped and changed a lot over the years which obviously results in a depreciation hit every time so quite happy that the temptation to change has completely disappeared.

Its a fantastic car though and id be happy to drive it over the coming years until I'm in the position to switch to full electric. Hopefully something like a i5 Touring that's rumored to be in the works.

• Advertisement

How do you find the 128ti? Trade in values are strong on used cars at the moment too so the cost to change hasn't increased as much as the headline price.

Brilliant, plenty of poke, very comfortable and well put together, relatively good on fuel. The build quality of BMWs is on a different level, id find it hard to change manufacturer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way I see it if you currently have a hot hatch then I'd keep what you have lads for as long as you can because unfortunately when these cars are gone that's it and they will be missed. I don't see any EV offerings out there being a direct replacement for an ICE hot hatch. Your not going to get the same enjoyment or engagement from one on B roads as they are too heavy. They eventually will figure out how to reduce battery weight, etc but currently I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to part with what you have now.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I need to replace the boot drain pipe behind the badge on a mk7 as it’s letting in water on one side of boot when I open it . I see from previous threads they are fairly cheap and easy to DIY but I can’t find them online. I want to get genuine part . Micks garage doesn’t stock them. Is there any VW garage website I can order from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Nearly sure I bought mine on Aliexpress and it was perfect. Will see can I dig out the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks it’s ali express that was coming up on the Google search but i was sceptical of quality !

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

What price did that remap cost and do you think it was worth it? I had a ford remapped by Revo it was barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

My R I have it about a year after a 2 years in a gtd. R all the way .

From memory it was ~€800 or so for the engine & gearbox and it is definitely noticeable. Will likely be going Stage 2 at some stage this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Couldn't unlock the car with the physical key earlier after the battery in the key died, locking it would click/flash indicators as normal but unlocking did nothing except light up what I can only assume is the immobiliser light in the door. Luckily I had a spare 2025 battery around. Anyone seen this before?

• Advertisement

I'm also having an issue with doors & unlocking - leaving work yesterday evening & unlocked the car but it didn't unlock, pressed the unlock button a few more times, opened the boot etc then finally mustered up the intelligence to check the passenger door which opened and the drivers door opened from the inside. Drove home, and when I locked the car, only the passenger mirror folds in & drivers door remains unlocked. I assume it's an issue with the door lock or one of the micro switches inside it (interior lights come on when the door is open etc) I'll need to find the time to get it looked at

€570 for a VW OEM windscreen, bloody hell. That €200 windscreen cover with Liberty doesn't go very far.

Actually I think it was €190! It would probably cover generic glass but I've read a number of forums where people have said the rain/light sensors don't work properly and they're easier to crack.

Got replaced today, when replacing the disc holder I noticed there's a loud buzzing coming from the headlight/wiper sensor module and the two plastic covers behind the mirror have some play in them now so might need to put a sticky pad on them to stop potential rattling. There was some movement when pressing the dashcam holder onto the glass, not sure if that's just down to the windscreen adhesive setting as it's only been around 16 hours.

Might need to take the car to work on Friday, the missus wouldn't have a clue about any sounds or rattles. That buzzing is seriously loud though, if it doesn't go away I'll be giving this crowd a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

My Cupra is having the same issue. Have changed batteries in the keys multiple times and the keys come and go. I'll come out in the morning and the key won't work. But 30 seconds later it'll be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

I haven't looked at this forum since around September last year. It's sad to see how quiet it has gone as someone mentioned previously.

I've had my 212 Clubsport almost 2 years now and will likely be jumping ship soon. I put an order in for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range when they dropped the price.

I was one of the lucky ones getting the Clubsport for a good price and on 0% PCP so will hopefully get a lot of what I paid for it back.

I don't drive the car the way it should be enjoyed. Really just commute in it so the Tesla will do just fine.

Has anyone else gone electric? I see @davydave has anyway...

It returned to normal the following day and has only happened once since. Touch wood it stays that way

Yeah it's gone very quiet in here! How did you find the MK8 ownership overall? I bought mine around the same time as you and likewise got a very good deal on it at the time.

I've no inclination to change mine in the short/medium term - I'm very happy with it and nothing else floats my boat tbh... I've considered keeping it very long term actually and perhaps go EV whenever the wife's car needs upgrading. We will see...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Hey Joe,

I've enjoyed it for the most part but I'm just not getting the most out of it and doing higher mileage than I'd like to do on this kind of car. It's a July 2021 car and I've 31k km done now but I'd say under normal circumstances I'd be close to 20k km per year which is not what I want.

I know I won't have as rare a car when I get the Tesla but the Clubsport is wasted on me as a commuter.

I'm still on my first set of tyres which will show how wasted it is on me!! 😅

I love it though and it's a serious head turner. I look back at it every time I walk away from it in a car park to admire it!!

Advertisement